Non-Muppet FTB songs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd like to talk a little bit about the Follow That Bird songs "All Together Now" and "Working on my Attitude". Both of these songs are sung by groups or singers, as opposed to Muppets or cast members. And while they appear in the film, they are barely heard.

Anybody got any idea why these songs aren't featured more prominiently in the film? I've listened to the songs on YouTube, and they are great songs. It's a shame that their pressence in the film is playing on the radios of other characters, the audio not being real loud. I mean, they went through the trouble of getting Alabama and Ronnie Mislap to record the songs, and I assume both were written for the film. Were they done to give the soundtrack some star power, beyond Waylon Jennings and the Sesame Street Muppets?

I remember noticing the songs listed in the credits, and wondering where they might have appeared in the film. For awhile I wondered if they might have been instrumental songs. I read the track listing of the soundtrack at the old Hooperfans website (is that site still around?) and saw it list "Don't Drop Inn/Working on my Attitude", so I figured Working on my Attitude appeared during the grouch restaurant scene.

It wasn't until I finally owned a copy back in 2001 when I watched a few times, listened closely, and then pinpointed where they were. "All Together Now" is the song playing on the radio in Gordon's car when Super-Grover lands (you can hear the group saying "All Together Now" after Grover has landed), and "Working on my Attitude" plays on the Slease brothers radio when Big Bird finds out they're not going to let him out of his cage.

I wonder if they planned on putting it in the film soundtrack like in many movies, or if they planned on playing them during the end credits (as opposed to replaying some of the songs that were heavily featured in the movie). It might have been out-of-place at the time if the songs just appeared in the soundtrack over footage, since the earlier Muppet movies didn't do that. Maybe they couldn't find a way to fit the songs in better, though "Working on my Attitude" could have played at the Grouch Restaurant and "All Together Now" could have played when Big Bird returns to Sesame Street. In fact I feel they should have had a big song at the end after Miss Finch agreed to let Big Bird stay.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The songs help make the movie seem like it is in the real world. If you watch the new movie The Muppets there where a few maybe two songs that where in the movie that where not on the soundtrack. these background songs are paid for the rights to use them but not for a major release to a soundtrack. the songs are just there to be there, they do not help the story out or in a montage. So when you hear the songs that your talking about that is what they are there for a touch of reality