None Like it Hot: The "I Hate the Heat" Club

animalrescuer

Reaction score
It's been in the 90s in Chambersburg, PA all week and worst of all, Thursday is going to be 99 and Friday's at 100! And with that kind of heat, it gets really, really hot in my dorm room, not even the fans I have running help much. Fortunately, the residence life director is letting us spend time in other places besides our dorms during the day, she's even letting us sleep in the lounges or another cool place we can find. If I was sleeping in my room, I would suffer from the heat left over from during the day.

Note: Just so everyone knows, I am taking summer courses for college so I can catch up with my classes so I can graduate on time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, you know, fans don't really help as much as people think: they create a "wind chill" effect if you stand right in front of them, obviously, but in the big picture, all they really do is just blow that hot air around, and actually make the room hotter than it should. :smirk:

But yes, heatwave #4 or 5, I've lost count, has taken ahold of us down here as well, it's 105 today, possibly 110 tomorrow, not sure, but there are some factors that have been making this summer a bit more bareable than usual...

1. Low humidity. The humidity is really what makes or break a hot day, you can have temps into the 90s, but it not feel too hot outside with low humidity, but likewise, it can be in the mid 80s and feel ten degrees warmer in the humidity is up.
2. The heat hasn't even been consistent like it usually is, usually it'll last for weeks and weeks on in with no relief in sight, but that hasn't been the case this year... the heat will last for a number of days, then we'll have a few days or relief, then another few days of heat, then another few days of relief, in that cycle.
3. It's been a wet and precipitous summer this year, most things considered, so that cools you down a bit as well.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Usually we don't get extreme heat up here in MN and I've been trying hard not to complain about it because we had a tough winter - but I've had my fill. We're having heat indexes of 110+ and I can't handle it. I was supposed to run in a 5k tonight and that's not going to happen. Kind of disappointing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gee whiz, as I was stepping out for supper tonight, it
s one of those days where it's so hot it hurts!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even though the temps are pretty much aboutthe same tody as they were yesterday, it must be more intense today considering the weather reports are breaking in with emergency advisories regarding the heat, and stressing people to stay inside and such...

Plus, I read today that so far, an additional 22 people in the midwest have died from this current bout of heat alone.

outerelf

Reaction score
Well, the heat has climbed as such, that people really can cook eggs and pizza and frozen food on the pavement. Not beautifully, but its working. That alone scares me more then it should.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, it's like a wet blanket outside today... not fun.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
****!

Today was supposed to be a little bit of relief from the heat today (85 degrees... that ain't much of a relief, but at this point, any relief will be sufficient nonetheless)... but nope, it shot back up to 105 again today. :grouchy:

Supposedly, we won't see anymore relief until naother week or so... it's like all of the sudden, summer remembered that it's supposed to make up miserable, and suddenlty, and without warning, upped the ante, because until a week ago or so, this year, summer really hadn't been as bad as I've seen my share of... I guess since there's still another month and another week left to go, it's making up for lost time.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------------------
Seems like every year since I've been out this way (AZ) some idiot local newsperson shows footage of themselves cooking an egg on the sidewalk or a car hood.

Yes, the sunlight out here is too much...but what really makes me angry about it is how few people take advantage of all that energy! This is a "solar city"? Really? SHOW me the new developments (or even the old neighborhoods) where more than one or two homes HAVE solar panels on the roof, or anywhere to be seen! No. Not happening. It would be like North Dakotans NOT having wind farms! oh...wait...
----------------------------