Not Enough Classic Clips

ssetta

Reaction score
You know, I think I know of one of the reasons why so many people have been complaining about them not showing enough classic clips. You see, about 10 years ago, they showed a LOT of clips from the 80s, and sometimes even the 70s. Now, they just don't like to use things that seem outdated.

But see, the thing is, if you've been watching current episodes of the show, they HAVE been showing a LOT of clips from the early/mid 90s. And something from the 90s today would be equivalent to what something from the 80s was 10 years ago, IF you know what I mean. So, it's like that material IS the classic material they've been showing. I mean, I'm sure if people who are like 13 or 14 today, and nostalgic for their childhood, they would be totally happy. But the thing is, people who are in their 20s, like me, care more about older stuff from the 80s, and before then. So, the thing is, Sesame Street has pretty much been doing what they were always doing, and it's us that's getting older.

What do you think of this?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do think it's a good point, the early '90s sketches would be considered old now, and classic to some. And I don't mind them being shown. But the fact that the '80s and '70s sketches are older, doesn't (and shouldn't) mean they are no longer worthy of viewing. Kids aren't going around saying "Gee, that looks outdated!" The idea that kids don't like the older sketches is a myth, based on what I've seen. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering they have been using some stuff from the mid 80's (mostly Ernie and Bert stuff) I don't think it has a lot to do with being dated. If there's one thing that's dated its the old computer animated Letter segments. They look like a Power Point presentation now. But they still show them.

But it's just like the 80's and 90's. in the 80's they showed a lot of stuff from the 70's, the 90's had a lot of stuff from the 80's, so naturally they'd use a lot of stuff from the 90's. In 2010, they'd use stuff from 2000, naturally. Safe prediction. Some of it has to do with it being dated, some of it has to do with some of them clips being retired.

And as for dated, a lot of newer skits are dated. Joe Hundred guy they can never use again (thank god... if that real show went on any longer...). But they could use the "Mighty morphin Power Monsters" segments with no problem now (since MMPR is still on the air).

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Whoa- they've done a Mighty Morphin Power Monsters sketch? I missed that one! Not that I really care for the Power Rangers- but that just sounds too funny to see on Sesame Street!:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It had to be 1994 or so. That's when the show premired.

ssetta

Reaction score
Considering they have been using some stuff from the mid 80's (mostly Ernie and Bert stuff)
I don't know if you noticed, but so far this season, they have only used ONE sketch with Jim Henson's Ernie, and that was the song "Imagine That" from Season 17. I think it was in show 4141. And also, it's the only thing they've used this season from before Season 20 (1988).

Drtooth

Reaction score
They used "paperclips" today. They seem to be using less Muppet stuff this season, but we had some rare stuff the last couple years, even one of the Cavemen Days segments.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I am sorry I missed them using "Paperclips" it's one of my favorite sketches. :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
You know, I think I know of one of the reasons why so many people have been complaining about them not showing enough classic clips. You see, about 10 years ago, they showed a LOT of clips from the 80s, and sometimes even the 70s. Now, they just don't like to use things that seem outdated.

But see, the thing is, if you've been watching current episodes of the show, they HAVE been showing a LOT of clips from the early/mid 90s. And something from the 90s today would be equivalent to what something from the 80s was 10 years ago, IF you know what I mean. So, it's like that material IS the classic material they've been showing. I mean, I'm sure if people who are like 13 or 14 today, and nostalgic for their childhood, they would be totally happy. But the thing is, people who are in their 20s, like me, care more about older stuff from the 80s, and before then. So, the thing is, Sesame Street has pretty much been doing what they were always doing, and it's us that's getting older.

What do you think of this?

I think we need to stop going over this time and time again and except things the way they are.

SS is for kids and not for those past the pre-school age and still like to watch it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
For me personally I'm not just thinking about myself and the clips I'd like to see. I believe kids would benefit from seeing the older clips.