Not Enough Classic Clips

sesameguy

Reaction score
SS is for kids and not for those past the pre-school age and still like to watch it.
Agreed - We're never going to get the past back again. But I think it's also OK to enjoy what was good about the past.

I think Sesame Workshop is at least aware that there are plenty of adults out there who enjoy seeing the old skits once in a while. "Sesame St. Unpaved" and the "Old School" DVD sets, as well as the release of "Electric Company" episodes on iTunes, seem to point to a desire to share some of the old material. Let's hope the trend continues!

sesameguy

Reaction score
They used "paperclips" today.
Is this Bert singing "Have you ever looked at a paperclip?" or is it the really old one with Ernie trying to get Bert angry by telling him that he lost Bert's paperclip collection? I'd be impressed if they showed that one! Or is it a totally different one?

ssetta

Reaction score
It was the "Have you ever looked at a paper clip" song.

Drtooth

Reaction score
For me personally I'm not just thinking about myself and the clips I'd like to see. I believe kids would benefit from seeing the older clips.
I always feel it's because of the structure of the show now being the reason why we don't see too many old clips. Not so much due to kids not benifiting from them as it is for time constraints. Back when we had JTE, we did have the chance of seeing classic Ernie and Bert segments every so often. That's about it. It's because of the multiple segments in the show that stop them from showing many older skits. I think that now most of them are gone, we could see some older clips (and indeed we have seen a little of 1980's clips in recent episodes, including Sally Cruikshank animations) due to the fact there is more room for them to do so.

However, I don't see them doing anything from the 70's anytime soon. Part of me thinks its because they want to retire them.

Some older stuff I can't see them using. But most of it is older filmed footage of kids. The dated clothing and graininess of the film makes it look really old. And while I don't personally think kids would mind, someone at SW, maybe one of the educators, thinks it could be confusing to little kids. Or something. I'm just spitballin' here.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And while I don't personally think kids would mind, someone at SW, maybe one of the educators, thinks it could be confusing to little kids. Or something. I'm just spitballin' here.
It definitely could be. You know I have every respect for experts in their fields, but I think sometimes these people think too much! Hehe

Plus all this stuff about "confusing" children. They are young, not stupid. I've worked with kids that young, and they are sharp and very intuitive. And they don't go around saying "this looks old."

Drtooth

Reaction score
It definitely could be. You know I have every respect for experts in their fields, but I think sometimes these people think too much! Hehe
Hey! Too many cooks.....

Plus all this stuff about "confusing" children. They are young, not stupid. I've worked with kids that young, and they are sharp and very intuitive. And they don't go around saying "this looks old."

Confused is just a glib term for what I'm thinking. I guess they think kids don't want to watch anything really old. I can recall someone who was one of the voice actors on the US Dub of Ultimate Muscle saying they would not dub the older 1980's series because of the old look turning away viewers. But then again, kids love Scooby Do reruns. So basically a lot of it contridicts itself.

I would say that pacing of older filmed skits would be a problem, but then I've seen a lot of newer skits last forever.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I would say that pacing of older filmed skits would be a problem, but then I've seen a lot of newer skits last forever.
Well I think that's more of an opinion question. I've seen in some of your posts that you don't like the longer segments. But I personally enjoyed them and still do. Either way is fine, but I think it really does depends on the personal taste of the kid. That's another thing to keep in mind, not all kids will react the same way to everything.

I am still highly skeptical of the idea that kids won't want to watch older things. There are exceptions to everything, but that just doesn't represent the real world to me.

Java

Reaction score
I am still highly skeptical of the idea that kids won't want to watch older things. There are exceptions to everything, but that just doesn't represent the real world to me.
I personally think that kids watching older sketches would help with parent/child bonding as Mom/Dad can relive the memories and gain new ones with each skit.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's true, it could foster a closer parent/child relationship early on. Rather than a generation gap.