Not too impressed

Censored

Reaction score
I've recently gotten rid of cable TV, so in the mornings, I glance at current Sesame Street shows at breakfast. Most of my negative suspicions about modern Sesame Street seem to be well founded.

Even the Ernie and Bert skits aren't that entertaining anymore. Today I saw one where Ernie wants Bert to play "guess the animal" game. Bert does not want to play and Ernie finally gives up, but then a real lion comes in. At first Bert isn't looking and thinks it's Ernie, but he then turns around and discovers the lion. The lion asks if he can borrow Bert's book. Bert sits still and says, "I'm trying not to show fear." This theme had been done in a MUCH better way in earlier Ernie and Bert skits. Examples are when Bert pretends to be a train and the engineer and his passengers all try to ride on him or when Ernie tries to trick Bert with his disguises and then a real wolf comes in and Bert thinks it's Ernie dressed up. There's something about the current way Ernie and Bert look that I really can't stand too. They've changed throughout the years, but their present look has to be the worst.

Why they keep making new boring skits when they have dozens and dozens of classic skits collecting dust, I will never know.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree... it's the dumbing down of SS (read my post in "SS whent Downhill after ELMO THREAD") by the educators, latchkey kids, and child psycologists.

I do happen to think there are a few good ones, but the old ones were far better. That said, I'm still glad they even MAKE Ernie and Bert sketchs instead of the incessant Ernie and Elmo or Ernie's Show and tell segments. 2 years ago, Ernie lacked Bert, and he was only seen with Elmo or random celebrities and little kids. last season, most of the JTE segments ended in Ernie's Show and tells, or Ernie and Elmo skits.

However, there was one brilliant one with Ernie and Grover singing about opposites. Ernie got the good end of every thing (i/e/"I have lots of cookies") and Grover got the bottom end, once agin struggling against all odds. Poor Grover!