November's Special Edition DVD's are pan-and-scan only

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
It is official now, the official Disney press release is out and it has the bad news:

Disney has announced the details of November's (previously) much-anticipated Muppet movie DVD reissues and their press release states that they decided to cut 30%-50% of the film out of the DVD versions. That's right, the "fully remastered and restored" 50th Anniversary Editions will contain only full-screen (1.33:1) transfers of "The Muppet Movie", "The Great Muppet Caper", "The Muppet Christmas Carol", and "Muppet Treasure Island".

The official press release, where this sad news came from, does appear incomplete and full of errors - so maybe this is all a bad mistake or misprint (however I doubt it). The audio commentaries listed to be caried over on "Christmas Carol" and "Treasure Island" are not listed in the press release. And neither are any of the four behind the scenes mini-documentaries originally stated on DisneyDirect last week. (Plus they list "Christmas Around the World" as a music video, eventhough this feature has Gonzo and Rizzo talking about Christmas traditions around the world - there's no singing). However they do make it clear that the aspect ratio on all four DVDs is a butchered 1.33:1 transfer.

Maybe this is a bad dream, maybe Disney wrote the wrong aspect ratio on the press release, maybe it's all an elabrate joke.... Don't they recall the fiasco in 2002 when Disney first released "Christmas Carol" and "Treasure Island" in pan-and-scan. Hundreds called and e-mailed Disney is disgust (including the upset director, Brian Henson), it seems Disney did not learn from their stupid mistake. So I encourage everyone to voice your displeasure by calling 1-800-723-4763 or writing Disneyinfo@Disneyhelp.com. Tell them how upset you are, and how you were planning on getting the DVDs until you heard this news. Tell Disney that you want - no, you demand - widescreen!

At least I'll be saving $60 this fall, by not having to buy these four DVDs.

That Announcer

Reaction score
I just fired off an E-mail to the address Greg supplied. I will now quote my entire E-mail:

So, you've done it again.

I just finished reading the press release for your four "special" edition Muppet DVDs planned for November- 'The Muppet Movie', 'The Great Muppet Caper', 'The Muppet Christmas Carol' and 'Muppet Treasure Island'- and I have to say, I'm disgusted. Why are you only releasing these films in pan-and-scan?

You've really got nothing going for you here. The last time you released 'Carol' and 'Island' in pan-and-scan only, hundreds wrote you to express their anger. Brian Henson himself stated that he did not approve of pan-and-scan only DVDs. So, you're not only going against the director's wishes, you're going against the public's wishes.

Why are you doing this to us, the Muppet fans who have so eagerly awaited good releases of these films? We will not be buying these DVDs unless they are released in widescreen! We didn't buy them the last time, and we won't this time, either! If you must release a cropped version, why can't you release a widescreen version separately, or have a two-disc release with widescreen and pan-and-scan versions, or a double-sided disc with both ratios? If there is not a widescreen version out, we will not buy these films!

Hear me out, please. We do not want pan-and-scan versions. On amazon.com, the widescreen version almost always exceeds the pan-and-scan versions in sales. Stores nearly always sell out of widescreen versions before pan-and-scan versions. So, why are you only releasing the pan-and-scan? Why?

I often hear major movie studios like yourself complaining that pirated movies equal lost sales. This may be true. So, why are you not realizing that pan-and-scan only releases equal lost sales? There are thousands upon thousands of people that will not buy these DVDs if they are only released in pan-and-scan! Why would you bother? We just won't do it!

Many more irate E-mails like my own will soon be coming your way. We want widescreen, and that's a fact.

Liam O'Keefe

PS: Please respond with an answer to this question:

Why are these DVDs only being released in pan-and-scan?
I will stand by what I said until the day I die.

anathema

Reaction score
Disney simply don't get it. They never have. I've sat in meetings with these guys, and they have an unbelievably unrealistic view of what consumers will put up with these days. Oh well. My hopes weren't high.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
hey gang,

just emailed Disney heres what I sayed to them...

Subject: Muppet Movie's WHAT??!! They are once again Pan and Scan??!!!

Dear Disney DVD,

Well I was so looking forward to owning The Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper and the other 2 Muppet Movies I passed up on, on dvd The Muppet Christmas Carol, and Muppet Treasure Island, only becouse they where in Pan and Scan. Don't you (Disney dvd) recall the fiasco in 2002 when Disney first released "Muppet Christmas Carol" and "Muppet Treasure Island" in pan-and-scan. Hundreds called and e-mailed Disney (I was one of them) is disgust (including the upset director, Brian Henson), it seems Disney did not learn from their stupid mistake, The Muppet Movie and Muppet Caper aren't even special, When TMM and TGMC cae out there where 2 (two) TV Special's one for the Muppet Release called "The Muppets go Hollywood" and for "The Great Muppet Caper" called "The Muppets go to the Movies". Why h why wornt these included? I myself, along with others, have NEVER seen these and I would love to to, belive me. These are chopped films with lousy special features that I personally hope nobody buys and I have to say, I'm disgusted. Why are you doing this to us, the Muppet fans and Disney fans who have so eagerly awaited good releases of these films? Do you not know how many fans are upset?!? Here are just a few Disney and Muppet fan sites...
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?p=307776#post307776
http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10789

Just take a look at em and think! I've also been hearing that thousands of preorders across the nation are being cancelled at places like Amazon & DisneyStore.com, I no longer plan on purchasing any of these unless they are released in anamorphic widescreen in their original aspect ratios, in which case I would surely buy them on the release date. So all I can say is Thank You Disney DVD, Thank you for getting me all Happy that "Better" dvd versions of these 4 beloved Muppet Movies would be great, but it looks like thats NOT happening so as I sayed Thanks Disney DVD for nothing! I know you, Disney DVD, are getting 1000's of emails on this so good luck on what you do and I HOPE you do the right thing... WIDESCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beauregard

Reaction score
I am so not buying these in pan-and-scan...

That Announcer

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I am so not buying these in pan-and-scan...
You may be in luck. Only too often are films released in OAR in the UK and pan-and-scan here. It's happened before. I may look for a region-free player to get these films in OAR.

urbandryad

Reaction score
I need Muppet Movies on DVD. Muppets Christmas Carol and Treasure Island are a couple of my favs, so I'm looking forward to this. Yay! :big_grin: (I like them all really. :3 I'm such a Muppet lover.)

quadroupled

Reaction score
Just emailed Disney....

Howdy.

This is my first post to this forum (I don't do this often). I check out this forum all the time, but I was compelled to join when I read about the way Disney's been handling the new Muppet releases on DVD. First, the cuts to TMS, and now, the Full Screen versions of the movies..... what a shame. With all of Disney's money and influence, they had a great opportunity to treat the Muppet releases with the respect that they deserve. The cuts to TMS were almost tolerable, but Full Screen movies are inexcusable.

As GelflingWaldo urged, I just emailed Disney. If anyone's interested, here's what I said.....

To Whom It May Concern,

I am one of the many adult fans of the Muppets, who grew up watching these endearing characters, and look forward to acquiring each classic release of the Muppet movies and television shows on DVD. The idea of having these artistic and entertaining treasures preserved as they were originally presented, and in the best quality available, is quite appealing to not only muppet fans, but to a wide variety of people.

So, imagine the extreme disappointment and resentment that Disney will cause if they release wonderful films like The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, and other timeless muppet titles for "Kermit's 50th Anniversary" on DVD in improper aspect ratios.

These films were intended to be seen in 1.85:1 ratio, and NOT 1.33:1. It seems to be a common mistake in the entertainment industry that when a film becomes marketed as a "kid's or family movie" that it's technical merits seemed to be overlooked in favor of presenting the film in a "simpler" form to be more accessible to a young audience.

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE. If you do, it will alienate an extremely large portion of adults, and young people, who hold these films in very high regard, and will be very unsatisfied with a compromised version of these imaginative films.

Personally, I was looking forward to the notion of having some of my favorite films treated to an updated and accurate transfer, and I was eagerly awaiting the chance to purchase them.

But now, like many, many others to come..... I will not be purchasing these DVD's unless they are presented in their proper aspect ratios.

Thanks for your time.

If people keep contacting them, hopefully Disney will change their mind.