1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

November's Special Edition DVD's are pan-and-scan only

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by GelflingWaldo, Aug 22, 2005.

1. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

It is official now, the official Disney press release is out and it has the bad news:

Disney has announced the details of November's (previously) much-anticipated Muppet movie DVD reissues and their press release states that they decided to cut 30%-50% of the film out of the DVD versions. That's right, the "fully remastered and restored" 50th Anniversary Editions will contain only full-screen (1.33:1) transfers of "The Muppet Movie", "The Great Muppet Caper", "The Muppet Christmas Carol", and "Muppet Treasure Island".

The official press release, where this sad news came from, does appear incomplete and full of errors - so maybe this is all a bad mistake or misprint (however I doubt it). The audio commentaries listed to be caried over on "Christmas Carol" and "Treasure Island" are not listed in the press release. And neither are any of the four behind the scenes mini-documentaries originally stated on DisneyDirect last week. (Plus they list "Christmas Around the World" as a music video, eventhough this feature has Gonzo and Rizzo talking about Christmas traditions around the world - there's no singing). However they do make it clear that the aspect ratio on all four DVDs is a butchered 1.33:1 transfer.

Maybe this is a bad dream, maybe Disney wrote the wrong aspect ratio on the press release, maybe it's all an elabrate joke.... Don't they recall the fiasco in 2002 when Disney first released "Christmas Carol" and "Treasure Island" in pan-and-scan. Hundreds called and e-mailed Disney is disgust (including the upset director, Brian Henson), it seems Disney did not learn from their stupid mistake. So I encourage everyone to voice your displeasure by calling 1-800-723-4763 or writing Disneyinfo@Disneyhelp.com. Tell them how upset you are, and how you were planning on getting the DVDs until you heard this news. Tell Disney that you want - no, you demand - widescreen!

At least I'll be saving $60 this fall, by not having to buy these four DVDs.
  2. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

Cruse you Disney!!! :boo: :mad: :grouchy:
  3. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

I just fired off an E-mail to the address Greg supplied. I will now quote my entire E-mail:

I will stand by what I said until the day I die.
  4. anathema

anathema Active Member

Disney simply don't get it. They never have. I've sat in meetings with these guys, and they have an unbelievably unrealistic view of what consumers will put up with these days. Oh well. My hopes weren't high.
  5. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

6. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

hey gang,

just emailed Disney heres what I sayed to them...

Subject: Muppet Movie's WHAT??!! They are once again Pan and Scan??!!!

Dear Disney DVD,

Well I was so looking forward to owning The Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper and the other 2 Muppet Movies I passed up on, on dvd The Muppet Christmas Carol, and Muppet Treasure Island, only becouse they where in Pan and Scan. Don't you (Disney dvd) recall the fiasco in 2002 when Disney first released "Muppet Christmas Carol" and "Muppet Treasure Island" in pan-and-scan. Hundreds called and e-mailed Disney (I was one of them) is disgust (including the upset director, Brian Henson), it seems Disney did not learn from their stupid mistake, The Muppet Movie and Muppet Caper aren't even special, When TMM and TGMC cae out there where 2 (two) TV Special's one for the Muppet Release called "The Muppets go Hollywood" and for "The Great Muppet Caper" called "The Muppets go to the Movies". Why h why wornt these included? I myself, along with others, have NEVER seen these and I would love to to, belive me. These are chopped films with lousy special features that I personally hope nobody buys and I have to say, I'm disgusted. Why are you doing this to us, the Muppet fans and Disney fans who have so eagerly awaited good releases of these films? Do you not know how many fans are upset?!? Here are just a few Disney and Muppet fan sites...
    http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?p=307776#post307776
    http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/
    http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10789

Just take a look at em and think! I've also been hearing that thousands of preorders across the nation are being cancelled at places like Amazon & DisneyStore.com, I no longer plan on purchasing any of these unless they are released in anamorphic widescreen in their original aspect ratios, in which case I would surely buy them on the release date. So all I can say is Thank You Disney DVD, Thank you for getting me all Happy that "Better" dvd versions of these 4 beloved Muppet Movies would be great, but it looks like thats NOT happening so as I sayed Thanks Disney DVD for nothing! I know you, Disney DVD, are getting 1000's of emails on this so good luck on what you do and I HOPE you do the right thing... WIDESCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I am so not buying these in pan-and-scan...
  8. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

You may be in luck. Only too often are films released in OAR in the UK and pan-and-scan here. It's happened before. I may look for a region-free player to get these films in OAR.
  9. urbandryad

urbandryad New Member

I need Muppet Movies on DVD. Muppets Christmas Carol and Treasure Island are a couple of my favs, so I'm looking forward to this. Yay! :D (I like them all really. :3 I'm such a Muppet lover.)
  10. quadroupled

quadroupled New Member

Just emailed Disney....

Howdy.

This is my first post to this forum (I don't do this often). I check out this forum all the time, but I was compelled to join when I read about the way Disney's been handling the new Muppet releases on DVD. First, the cuts to TMS, and now, the Full Screen versions of the movies..... what a shame. With all of Disney's money and influence, they had a great opportunity to treat the Muppet releases with the respect that they deserve. The cuts to TMS were almost tolerable, but Full Screen movies are inexcusable.

As GelflingWaldo urged, I just emailed Disney. If anyone's interested, here's what I said.....

To Whom It May Concern,

I am one of the many adult fans of the Muppets, who grew up watching these endearing characters, and look forward to acquiring each classic release of the Muppet movies and television shows on DVD. The idea of having these artistic and entertaining treasures preserved as they were originally presented, and in the best quality available, is quite appealing to not only muppet fans, but to a wide variety of people.

So, imagine the extreme disappointment and resentment that Disney will cause if they release wonderful films like The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, and other timeless muppet titles for "Kermit's 50th Anniversary" on DVD in improper aspect ratios.

These films were intended to be seen in 1.85:1 ratio, and NOT 1.33:1. It seems to be a common mistake in the entertainment industry that when a film becomes marketed as a "kid's or family movie" that it's technical merits seemed to be overlooked in favor of presenting the film in a "simpler" form to be more accessible to a young audience.

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE. If you do, it will alienate an extremely large portion of adults, and young people, who hold these films in very high regard, and will be very unsatisfied with a compromised version of these imaginative films.

Personally, I was looking forward to the notion of having some of my favorite films treated to an updated and accurate transfer, and I was eagerly awaiting the chance to purchase them.

But now, like many, many others to come..... I will not be purchasing these DVD's unless they are presented in their proper aspect ratios.

Thanks for your time.

If people keep contacting them, hopefully Disney will change their mind.
  11. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

I sent off my email. I hope I do get a response. I hope they get so overwhelmed with emails. I am so very upset by this news. I don't have a copy of TMM of MCC, and I've never seen GMC, and I was really looking forward to these. But in fullscreen?! Forget that! You miss so much of the movie.

Having this confirmed is just a really bad ending to a really bad day.
  12. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

I strongly urge everyone to call or write about this.

If sales are low (due to the lack widescreen and/or features) Disney may just think that Muppet DVDs don't sell and no one really cares about the Muppets. But if sales are low and there is a stack of letters, e-mails and phone calls that say "we would have bought them" then they will listen as to what to do for next time to make the sale (they may even re-release the films again in widescreen collector's editions later on).

Even if sales of the pan-and-scan DVDs are high but there is in additional a stack of notes saying "we would have bought it too", will also show them how popular the Muppets are and that there are still interested people who want these movie sold to them.

But if Disney sells this product and no one complains (or just a small group of us do) they will figure that they did an OK thing (a few people go upset, but for the most part people enjoyed it and did not complain) so in the future all Muppet releases will be treated poorly like this. So we let them know now if a whole bunch of people complain then they may listen in the future.
  13. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Can I ask the people who want the widescreen? Whats wrong if they don't have widescreen? I'm just asking and don't want to fight. There are other cartoon DVD that are full screen and there fine. I have both of the MTI and MCC but I can't remember if they had the scan and pan across. I have lots of DVD that are full screen and not widescreen. I know that theres more to it but can someone explain why ya'll are mad for that reason.
  14. Oliver

Oliver New Member

I was pessimistic about Disney's handling of Henson's properties from the get go...

:mad:

What a bunch of maroons. No sale here.
  15. Cantus

Cantus New Member

Ernie, most people want widescreen because it's how the film is meant to be seen. Ghostbusters for example, when it hit dvd, you were able to see all four busters on screen. Too often in that film you would miss hilarious visuals because they were cut for "Pan and Scan". Considering the columbia versions were widescreen, it's plain stupid for a company to release them chopped. MTI is widescreen here in australia and the cinematic feel is far better than the PnS version. It really is laziness on Disney's behalf as they have the OAR masters and decide to cut them. There are plenty of cartoons in PnS. But often they're made for TV. Hence why they fit the tv. Sure, there are probably plenty who couldn't give a stuff either way, but widescreen has always in my opinion, made a movie feel more like a movie. I'm a film student and I always put the black bars on any video assignment I do to give it that feel, and it ALWAYS works.
    The other thing is, the original data said we would be getting widescreen versions. These are clearly not.
  16. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

ok I emailed them and told them that we all want widescreen. Now just to ask. Theres a picture of Lew Zealand, Clueless Morgan and Polly now is that what it would look like if they did it in Fullscreen. I want to know becase I looked at the same picture on my DVD player and you can see other characters in that shot. Could you explain it to me?
  17. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Thanks you Cantus. I see what your saying. I couldn't find that Pan and Scan article. Then when I saw it I see what they mean. Thanks again.
  18. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

19. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Well-Known Member

this has probably already been discussed, but will there be any special features on these DVDs, because if not, I probably won't buy them, since I already own them
  20. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member