1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Now what's going on with YouTube?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Apr 2, 2010.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It's actually been a long time since this has happened, but YouTube is back to shoving channels down my throat that they want me to subscribe to that I have no interest in whatsoever.

Oh, and on top that, I've also occasionally been getting subscription updates . . . from 11 years ago.

2. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Don't mind me asking, but has anyone been able to successfully actually block someone on YouTube nowadays?

Trying to block two annoying little kids named Michael and Albert; the former just says random stuff while the latter just comments "Albert fever sick and coughing again" and despite saying "unblock user", they can still comment. :rolleyes:

Granted, they've backed off for now but I'm sure they'll creep back up eventually

3. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

I think I've been able to do it successfully. There have been a few times though where a comment from a blocked user will show up as a notification on my phone, but not on an actual computer, so they stay hidden.

And yeah, a while ago I blocked that person as well, because those same comments are pretty annoying.

4. D'Snowth

As far as notifications go, they keep getting weirder and weirder: my main YouTube channel is also on the same account as my Gmail and my Google+, so usually, whenever I would log into one, I'd receive notifications regarding the other services - like, say I was checking my email, I would have notifications from YouTube and Google+. But anymore, I'll only get notifications if somebody likes a comment I posted - if I get comments, or somebody replies to a comment of mine, I'll only see notifications for them if I'm actually logged into YouTube, rather than also get notifications for them in Gmail as well.

5. LittleJerry92

I get all YouTube notifications on my phone, including a new upload, comments, etc.

Probably cause I have an android. :p

6. D'Snowth

I don't use my phone for anything other than a phone.

7. Schfifty

What is it with those comments that only contain a random time mark? Like, what's the point of commenting something like "10:40" or "4:08" and saying nothing else?

8. Schfifty

Well, it looks like pretty much every page on YouTube (the watch page, channel page, playlist page to name a few) just received makeovers, and they're all pretty big ones.

Not a fan of the new looks, and I particularly don't like how avatars are now enclosed in circular borders on YouTube, especially on channel pages. I also don't like how they've modified the rating system so that numbers over a thousand are now shortened to 1K or 2K. There's enough room underneath the video title, so why not just show the whole number?

I should've known this was coming, and so this will have to take some getting used to.

9. D'Snowth

There's still the option to restore the previous version of YouTube for the time being.

As far as subscriptions go, they've shortened the numbers for a while now to K and M as well, and I'll agree that it's not particularly helpful, considering people who use YouTube may or may not be familiar enough with math to know what K and M stand for.

10. LittleJerry92

Yup, until Poogle decides to shove it down for everyone like they always do. :rolleyes:

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  11. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Did all of YouTube recently get a makeover?

12. Schfifty

You know what's a bit sad about it? They're not just on children's videos like Sesame Street/Barney/Disney/etc., but also on videos that are clearly not meant for little children. I saw some today on one of the Whose Line Is It Anyway gag reels – which has over 10 million views, might I add – and it makes me feel a little sorry for the young kids who see those videos and leave those gibberish comments.

That's one reason why I have a disdain towards tablets and smartphones, because usually those kinds of comments come from those.

Not all of it...just a few of the main pages like the home/watch/channel/playlist pages.

13. MikaelaMuppet

Even the new player looks like a mess now.

14. LittleJerry92

It's cause new age parents have no clue how to raise kids nowadays. Technology is the babysitter now. :rolleyes:

15. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hate that. People (obviously babies on their mom's iPhone) always reply to me with random letters/numbers. Or, like D'Snowth said, just replying to you with your username and saying nothing else.

The only comments that annoy me more than those are the "first" and "early squad" comments.

16. D'Snowth

Now YouTube has just done the absolutely dumbest and most ridiculous thing ever: they've done away with the tabs at the top of the homepage, so now the only thing you can see on the homepage is whatever they want you to see: recommended, breaking news, and channels they want you to subscribe to - there's absolutely no access to our subscriptions anymore whatsoever - so how are we even supposed to see/know whenever the channels we're subscribed to have even uploaded anything new, unless they just happen to show up on the homepage at totally random?

17. MikaelaMuppet

Going to be deleting my Dailymotion account now. Why? Because the videos that I liked keep on getting deleted.

18. MikaelaMuppet

Already deleted.

19. MikaelaMuppet

This is not with YouTube, but with Google.

Why do I keep on getting a suspicious activity message along with a CAPTCHA?

20. D'Snowth

Now Dailymotion has jumped on the bandwagon, and their redesign is even worse than any of YouTube's redesigns, because at least when YouTube redesigns the site, everything still works (for the most part) . . . Dailymotion? The whole site doesn't work now. Try watching a video, you're taken to a blank white page with a black rectangle in the center (presumably the video), and nothing ever happens - the page just sits there and loads and loads and loads and nothing happens.