1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 18th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Christmas Shopping
    Support Muppet Central and get great deals for everyone on your list! From Blu-rays and DVDs to Plush and Toys to Collector's Books you'll find something for everyone.

4. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Now what's going on with YouTube?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Well-Known Member

As far as I've understood, it has been nothing terribly important, or anything that will tamper with your YouTube channel. Just some tutorial videos and resources they've created for the success of content creators. Or so I assume. I never bothered to read them.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  2. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

It's probably a bad thing knowing YouTube.

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

YouTube seems to come up with these tips based on what works for these undeservedly successful partner channels that mostly cater videos such as vlogs, tutorials, how-to's, top 10s, reviews, what have you, not really for more artistic channels and creators like ourselves.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  4. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

That's what I figured. I mean, I guess I will check them out from time to time, but not regularly.

5. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

Why are those vlogs even so popular, anyway? I've never really understood the appeal of most of them, personally.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  6. D'Snowth

I don't either. I mean, why waste 10-30 minutes watching some "big internet celebrity" talking about what's going on in their daily life?

ConsummateVs and Froggy Fool like this.
  7. Froggy Fool

Pretty much the only popular videos that I even remotely like is those life hack videos, some of which are pretty cool. But yeah I really have no clue why people care about some guy/gal ranting on about his/her life.

8. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Vloggers are all middle class wannabe snobs who like to brag about there life

Froggy Fool likes this.
  9. D'Snowth

Bad news: looks like YouTube finally permanently did away with the feature that let you restore the previous version of the site if you don't like the current new design.

The thing I hate the most about the new design is the layout for playlists (regular playlists, favorites, watch history, etc.) and how they're split with unnecessary info on one side of the screen, while the actual playlist itself is squished into the other side of the screen.

10. LittleJerry92

Eh, what else is new with YouTube now?

Froggy Fool likes this.
  11. Aliceo

Aliceo New Member

It's pretty simple. Lots of people like to snoop around other people's lives. And when you broadcast your life like that, it's a sure bet there's an audience for it.

12. D'Snowth

I just now realized that because of this stupid new design, there's now no way of accessing our subscriptions at all. You just have to be lucky if any of the channels you're subscribed to just happen to appear the homepage when you're logged in, otherwise, it's strictly recommended videos.

I cannot begin to describe how stupid and pointless this is.

13. LittleJerry92

I pretty much just get notifications on my phone if something is uploaded.

14. D'Snowth

Well, I'm on a computer. :p

But really, the only time I get notifications is whenever someone replies to a comment . . . and now, for whatever reason, I get notifications when someone likes my comments, or when someone subscribes to my channels.

15. LittleJerry92

I've gotten notifications on when someone likes my comment as well.

It's helpful, but I miss when it mentions who actually liked them.

By the way, random note.....

Remember the old days of YouTube when an account was banned, it would just say "This account is suspended, this account is suspended, this account is suspended, this account is suspended, this account is suspended" blah blah. I like how they changed that in 2010 with at least on reasons why.

16. D'Snowth

When did it ever mentioned who actually liked them? I never once ever received a notification like that.

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but I remember it the other way around: they used to give a reason why like, but now it just says, "no longer available, sorry about that."

17. LittleJerry92

I'd get notifications saying "so and so liked your comment" which stopped in 2015 I think.

18. D'Snowth

Yeah, I never got notifications like that.

I do, however, remember when YouTube offered public statistics on videos, and you could see how many times your videos had been favorited - I remember how I used to think how I wish YouTube would show you who favorites your videos, much like how DeviantArt notifies you on who favorites your deviations - I feel like that would offer better insight into who out there, exactly, evidently likes your videos enough, and maybe help inspire ways to better cater to your community.

19. LittleJerry92

That would be a nice feature.

20. Froggy Fool

Actually, D'Snowth, there is a way to access your subscriptions, at least on my computer. So when you go to the Youtube homepage, there should be in the top left corner an icon with three horizontal lines. Click on that, and there should be a subscriptions button. If this doesn't work then... :confused: