Numbers of the Night

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just reserving some space here for when I start up the story. The story will start in my next post probably. Need to write it up first and then post it.
Would appreciate feedback, but wait till something's posted first.

Hopefully, the story will start today. Stay tuned.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, here it is, hope you like how this starts off.

Numbers of the Night: Manhattan Math.

Chapter 1.

The Count von Count walked down the hallways of his castle home, his footsteps falling softly upon the plush wine red carpeting as he roamed his home pensively. He wore a clean white-pressed shirt, red vest with diagonal yellow lines, gray coat, dark gray pants and belt, black dress shoes, and his newly-washed bright green cape. Yes, he was dressed for a night on the town. But those happy thought seemed so distant in his mind now. Being that his castle was located in New York City, it made it easier for him to attend the night's gala dinner celebrating another season for Sesame Street. The usual gang was there, from grouches to humans to large and little birds to monsters of all kind, dressed in their formal ware. Even Grover wore his tux when he handed the bill to one Ms. Ganz-Cooney. But the Count had other matters on his mind that night, since he was preparing to open up his castle to summer tourists this year.

His head hung a little lower while pacing through the corridors of his home, pausing only briefly to admire the workings of his spiders upon the underside of various sbookshelves. "Penny for your thoughts sir?" rung an eerie voice that would chill unsuspecting wanderers. "Oh hello Uncle Deadly", answered the Count. The numerian vampire was greeted by a blue dragonish creature, wearing a ragged white shirt and black pants, sheltered by his own grayed tattered coat. Uncle Deadly worked at the Count's castle as a consierge of sorts, and so, it was no surprise to see him there in the late hours of the night.

The Count: "It's just... I'm not sure vhat I vant to do vith the castle."
UD: "But it's going to be opened up to the tourists tomorrow, isn't it?"
Count: "Yes, of course. The plans haven't changed. It's just that I feel it's sort of incomplete somehow. Though I love to count, and have counted the seconds to the Grand Opening, I can't help but feel that there's something missing as part of the attraction."
UD: "Well, why don't you sleep on it. I'm sure that things will look bleaker in the mourning."
The Count broke into a weak smile, Uncle Deadly's humor spoke to his own, and it eased his mind a bit.
Count: "Yes, I think I'll turn in for tonight."
UD: "So will you need my services?"
Count: "No, you can leave if you wish my friend."
And with that, the blue dragonish creature gathered his things in his carrying coffin and left for either the Muppet Theater or Muppet Boarding House. We were never sure where he lived, but he always went there after being dismissed each night from the Count's castle.

So now it was only the Count von Count and his pets living within this dark structure... That is, except for the newest tennant. Edward Grimness was a brilliant man, and he had struck up a deal with the Count to live here in the darkness of the vampire's abode. Mr. Grimness was a man of about thirty years, black hair and black eyes (or at least he liked to think that though it was really chocolate brown), of a fair stature and dressed neatly. Tonight, Mr. Grimness was downstairs in the workshop where he set himself preparing creatures for the castle's tours, and for the castle's occupants late-night counting parties. Mr. Grimness was watching a bit of television when the Count came in, knocking on the door first.
Mr. Grimness, dressed in his casual clothes asked who was there, since he was partially as blind as the bats up in the towers.
Count: "It's me Edvard, everything OK in there?"
Grimness: "Ah, yes, come on in Count. These beauties will definitely help frighten our tourists tomorrow."
As he opened the door, Mr. Grimness could tell that the Count was a bit apprehensive.
Grimness: Don't worry, I know how you feel, not quite satisfied with what we've got and we need something else."
The Count smiled that weak smile of his again. He knew that Edward and he shared their thoughts sometimes, and it wasn't hard to conceal them from each other.
Grimness: "All I'll say is, if you need me, my door is always open to you. But I'd recommend you go count the numbers before going to sleep. That might help you as you drift off to a peaceful night's rest."
The Count knew that Edward was right, his advice was always most welcome and helpful.
Count: "Thanks, needed that."
And with that, the Count went upstairs to his master bedchambers.

It didn't take the Count that long to change into his pajamas, light pale yellow with faded brown bats printed over them. A brown bat descended and landed upon the Count's shoulder.
Count: "Ah, Batty, vas vondering vhen you'd come down. Let's go and see the numbers, shall we?"
Soon after, the two entered the master vault where all the Count's treasures were kept. Upon the pedestal, he spied what he was looking for. Ten white marble numbers lined up in perfect order. Yes, they were all there: first 1, followed by 2, then 3, 4 was in its place, 5 quickly after, 6 in plain sight, and on to 7, or 8, coming up on 9, and finally 10.
Count [softly]: "Ten vonderful numbers. Such vonderful memories, and to think my friends from Sesame Street gave them to me as birthday gifts. Yes, I do thank them, these are amongst my most prized possessions. Come Batty, I can sleep better now."
Finally, the Count was happy as he lay back in the bed and counting the numbers up and down again and again, soon found himself fast asleep. But all was not quiet within the castle.

The next morning the Count awoke with a startled notion. He rushed back into the vault only to find...

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Well I know you're probably anxious for feedback so I'll gladly tell you what I think...It's awesome! You paint a very clear picture of what is going on with plenty of details and I'm already hooked into the story. I'm looking forward to reading more!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I agree one hundred and twenty percent with everything beth said.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good. Good.
Noticed any references to anything?

Got the next part plotted, gotta write it first. But there'll be some cameos for sure.

That Announcer

Reaction score
The Count said:
Good. Good.
Noticed any references to anything?
Well, Edward Grimness seems to be you.

Very nice job, man! Keep it up.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Yeah...I noticed the same thing that That Announcer noticed about the name :wink:
VONDERFUL job so far!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... Yes, that's my character and it'll become the main player as I progress the story to its individual chapters/sections later.
But I meant if anyone noticed any Muppet references, like the homage to Muppets 30th Anniversary... Grover handing the bill to Ganz-Cooney?
Oh well, glad you guys like. Gonna start with the next chapter soon, and I think Kathy might like who shows up in it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Chapter 2

The Count left his vault with a grim expression on his face. "No! My lovelies! And on today of all days." Sadly, he knew what needed to be done. After a brief breakfast and change of clothes, he went downstairs to address the media gathered outside his gothic home.

The press was already present at the Count's castle, anxiously anticipating the announcement the Count had for them that day. Kermit The Frog, wearing his plain-clothes light brown trenchcoat and gray reporter's hat, stood to the side with microphone in hand talking to the camera crews.
Kermit: "So, why did the chicken cross the... oh, you've already heard this one?"
"Kermit, over here!" came a voice from across the lawn.
A certain blonde-haired pink-skinned young girl was saving him a seat next to her. She was dressed in a sky blue blouse, white pants and shoes, and wore a black and red ladybug pin given to her by her college roommate on her blouse's right shoulder. "Hi Prairie, you got here early enough" replied the dapper frog.
Prairie Dawn: "Yes, had to get here to get a good seat. And I saved you a seat here next to me if you want."
Kermit: "Thanks."
Prairie glanced at her watch and remarked: "It's almost time, hope we don't have to wait long."
Kermit nodded in ascent, wondering himself just what their number-loving friend had in store for them.

The Count appeared soon after out on the stage, thinking to himself, with his head looking down at the mowed lawn. Prairie took out her pencil and notepad, lest she forget any details of the big news.
Count: Greetings, it is I, the Count von Count! I have gathered you here at my castle for a big announcement. Unfortunately, there has been an unforseen event, forcing the cancellation of my castle's grand opening to the public. I am sorry, but that is all I have for you today."
And with that, the vampire slinked back inside the dark doors of his forebodding home.

Kermit: "That was odd, he's usually in much better spirits."
Prairie: "Kermit, leave the jokes to the bear."
But Prairie was curious too. Why had the Count been so short with them? Wasn't this a big event the Count would announce today? Something was wrong, and it didn't take Prairie long to figure out that she'd have to do some investigating to figure out what it was.

The Count just went back upstairs to his room, closing the door behind him. "Ah vell, at least I can shelter myself in my own little vorld. TV and computer chatting vith all of my forum friends."
Unbeknownst to him, Prairie had snuck inside the castle when noone was looking. She spied on the spiders and bantered about with the bats. She tried to get some information out of Fatatatita, but all Prairie got was soft purring. And then she saw it... a glowing floating number 1.

Yes, it wasn't that strange to see a number in mid-air, after all this was the Count von Count's castle, but still her reporter's instinct told her that this was an important clue. She followed the number 1 down hallways and corridors, down past closing and opening doors, down into the bowells of the castle itself. Suddenly, Prairie found herself in a dimly-lit chamber. It reminded her of an ancient throne room, complete with throne and placards along the walls.

The next thing she knew, Prairie was magnetically clinging to the wall, her watch holding her prisoner there. A strange-looking woman entered and spoke directly to Praire in a distinct voice.

*Female Voiceover, in a cold yet coy tone: So. You're the little snoop poking her nose in my plans? Well, I don't appreciate that, especially when it might ruin everything. And though I could keep you here as my prisoner, I have plans for you my dear. Yes, you'll do quite nicely, you look like the type for this job.
Now go back up to the surface and be sure to give them... the Big Scoop.

And with that, the woman started laughing a cold, dry laugh, all her own while watching the young reporter scurry back the way she came.

Katzi428

Reaction score
The Count said:
Well... Yes, that's my character and it'll become the main player as I progress the story to its individual chapters/sections later.
But I meant if anyone noticed any Muppet references, like the homage to Muppets 30th Anniversary... Grover handing the bill to Ganz-Cooney?
Oh well, glad you guys like. Gonna start with the next chapter soon, and I think Kathy might like who shows up in it.
I noticed the Mrs. Ganz- Cooney reference
And yes....as a matter of fact, I do like who showed up in this chapter! :smile: Looks great so far!