1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

NY Times: Fuzzy Renaissance

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Sep 20, 2008.

1. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Ooh just read this article. I have made Henson-style hand puppets in the past on my own before, but I would all about going to make an official one with all sorts of cool parts!

This whole building up to a big bang thing sounds like an awesome idea and that it will work, but I'm getting so impatient. I just can't wait for the new christmas special now!

2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I would love to do some interviews with some of the people over at Muppet Studios I would just love to see what they are thinking and get in there heads a little. I would love to see how some people feel about some of the more non seen Muppets as well. I would really love to talk with Steve or Bill about taking on such roles as Dr. Theeth the Newsman and so on.

I miss doing interviews

3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

"D" "E"-xit is Stage Right "F" I want to live through this act.
    "G" whiz!
    :o

4. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

"O" it's all in good fun! even if were outta "ABC" order!:)

Good things take time and I hope to see more great Muppety things as time goes on!

5. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

What the "H"?

Wait...no.

I just wanted to spend a penny, or drop in two cents, or something, and just point out that I have seen Muppets in merch everywhere I look these days, such as I never have before. It seems I hardly ever leave the house these days without seeing someone in a Miss Piggy, Vote Kermit, or Animal t-shirt.

6. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It makes me happy how often I see Fraggle Rock shirts now...It may not be the same company anymore, but it still counts as part of the fuzzy renaissance 'N' my book ;)

7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I KNEW IT! Fozzie really does double as Snagglepuss!

Anyway, I've said it before, and I'll say it again... The muppets are just as relevant as ever. I mean, multiple refferences on Family Guy, American Dad and the Simpsons... that odd skit on Saturday Night live? All we're missing is something official.

8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

The Simpsons were doing jokes about them years and years ago..I think their makers are big fans :)

9. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

"O" boy. :o (Sorry, couldn't resist getting into letter puns! :D)

As far as the FAO Schwarz Muppet Whatnot Workshop that GelflingWaldo so happily wrote an article on for MNF, that sounds absolutely amazing! I'll see if it's worth dragging myself up to NYC in this current economic crisis just to go to FAO and create myself a Muppet Whatnot (and I'm pretty sure I can't make Louis Kazagger... :o).

Also, has anyone heard about Muppet Babies maybe cashing in on this fuzzy renaissance? Disney REALLY BADLY needs to do something with them.

BJ

10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I hope they don't CGI the Muppet Babies...cartoons are fine but I think if they want to make them 3D they might as well use real muppets:excited:

11. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

Wait wait wait... let me get this strait. It says that they are having problems marketing to the little kids because Jim Henson wanted it to be an adult show... BUT Jim Henson had the HARDEST time marketing to adults, and he couldnt steer it away from kids. I bet you it was slipit right down the middle, maybe even more kids than adults in the muppets prime. That just doesn't fit with my knowledge of Jim...

I mean, how many of you get made fun of for likeing the muppets because its a "baby show"?

but I didnt know that they had such a horrible cort battle after he died for the Muppet 3D thing, what was the fight over?

12. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

During Henson Co ownership they were planning on using motion capture CG puppetry as in Sid the Science Kid and the Henson Hour's Waldo character on the Muppet Babies. That could be interesting and provide more possibilites. I don't see the need for them to make new programs using the same style and look as before, but I could go for traditional animation too.

If the Babies ever came back I just hope the animation would look better no matter how it is done. The older stuff just makes me cringe. I understand the sentimental value of the old cartoons to fans, but much of the animation was done on the cheap. The Muppets and the Babies deserve much better.

13. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

Forget a new, CGI Muppet Babies... just put the OLD show on DVD :X Pronto!

Also, did anyone notice in that new American Express (I think I got the right card?) commercial, it said Henson's goal involved children... well, not totally, no, unless they mean Sesame Street :p

14. Drtooth

A CGI show like THAt would be amazing. Especially if they could get Jeffery Scott and the voice actors (among others) back. But all I can say is, why not just put them on some toddler merchandise, instead of baby Mickey, Baby Pooh, and Baby Princesses? Seems that would be a nice step to take, as the generation that grew up with Muppet babies have babies of their own. Though, it wouldn't kill someone to make new MB PVC figurines... we DESPERATELY need Baby Beaker and Baby Bunsen products, after years of getting shunned.

Even a small step like merchandise could bring them back to the public eye. And they could even put out some "Best ofs" if they can't get the rights to the rest of the series on DVD (There are quite a few episodes that feature stock footage and other public domain clips)

15. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Or hasn't yet, but would so buy them anyway for a future baby :). Those would be sooo cute :D!

16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well we have talked about what they need to do with the Muppet Babies a lot in other threads, but I feel the same as i have said before. They need to get the Classic Muppets set and out there in the main stream once again before they can even think about Muppet Babies. I know that it would drag out us not getting a release of the show on DVD, but at the same time it would give Disney eough time to work on getting all the rights to all the other footage that Muppet Babies has in it. Such as Star Wars and things like that. Here is how they sould be thinking right now:

1. Re launch the Classic Muppets for Everyone (We already see there game plan)

2. Re launch the Muppet Babies For kids mostly (A great show for playhouse Disney)

17. Drtooth

As long as they don't dumb it down like everything else on Toon Disney. I am so sick of this Dora model of educational TV. I saw Mickey Mouse say "Who's That?" like he was talking to a toddler in one episode of Clubhouse, and I felt like crying.

18. IgorPonweed

IgorPonweed New Member

Dear Disney Co. We need to talk. Why do you bring my hopes up and drop them all the time? I hope you don't do this again, so I'm going to take the road of least disappointment.

19. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

Woo-hoo, Bazooka Beak! I agree wholeheartedly with you, and I'll bet that Steve Swanson, host of the MuppetCast, agrees with you! :D

BJ

20. IgorPonweed

IgorPonweed New Member

Puppetry will always live. It just may not be that popular in movies, anymore.