Oak tree never grows

abiraniriba

Reaction score
I was looking at SS one day with my daughter, it was the ep where Big Bird Snuffy Maria and Luis all go on a hike, albeit a very short one. When they stopped at the tree I noticed something. That tree has been there since the 70's but it's never grown that much. Considering SS started in '69 and it is now 2006 (37 years to those of you who haven't met the Count). It should be at least a little bigger by now, shouldn't it.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
It'd be a miracle if it DID grow, since the tree is fake and is just a stage prop.

They can even move the fake tree around the set, as you might notice in scenes that require an unobstructed view of 123 Sesame Street, the tree may not even BE there! (The set dressers can move the tree, the mailbox, even the lamppost around, to give the cameramen better views of the action.)

abiraniriba

Reaction score
I know the tree isn't real

I know the tree isn't real, dummy. Just like I know there isn't really a Sesame Street. However, since the show is set on an inner city street, in order to keep up the illusion of reality they could switch the small tree that they started off with for a larger one so that the tree would seem to have grown in the past 30 + years.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Why are you so concerned about something like that? Assuming you're new why don't you go to the Classic SS section and discuss your memories of the show.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
abiraniriba said:
I know the tree isn't real, dummy. Just like I know there isn't really a Sesame Street. However, since the show is set on an inner city street, in order to keep up the illusion of reality they could switch the small tree that they started off with for a larger one so that the tree would seem to have grown in the past 30 + years.

Nice calling me a "dummy," abiraniriba....

Your question made it seem like you were "expecting" that tree to have grown over the years, as if it were a real plant or something.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
abiraniriba said:
I was looking at SS one day with my daughter, it was the ep where Big Bird Snuffy Maria and Luis all go on a hike, albeit a very short one. When they stopped at the tree I noticed something. That tree has been there since the 70's but it's never grown that much. Considering SS started in '69 and it is now 2006 (37 years to those of you who haven't met the Count). It should be at least a little bigger by now, shouldn't it.
I never noticed a tree

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Come on. We all hold this illusion (to varying degrees) that Sesame Street is real. When you see a tree, you think it's real, and that it will grow. The same might happen to older fans such as ourselves. Personally if I watched SS for a really long time, I would proabably be personally wondering why the tree didn't grow either.

Plus, be careful what you say. Getting a bit biting around here in this thread.

SesameMike

Reaction score
I believe that Mr. Snuffleuppagas once climbed that tree!

There was an old-style "Bus Stop" sign on the curb that had an arrow pointing upwards. Big Bird walked by, looked up, and saw Snuffy up in the tree! When asked what he was doing up there, Snuffy said he was waiting for the bus, which was up in the air according to that arrow.

How did that tree support ol' Snuffy's weight? And even if the bus did come, no way Snuffy would fit on board. Note that this was before he was revealed to the adults.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
ReneeLouvier said:
Come on. We all hold this illusion (to varying degrees) that Sesame Street is real. When you see a tree, you think it's real, and that it will grow. The same might happen to older fans such as ourselves. Personally if I watched SS for a really long time, I would proabably be personally wondering why the tree didn't grow either.

Plus, be careful what you say. Getting a bit biting around here in this thread.

I agree, it's like on the simpsons, the show has been on since 1989. Maggie was 1, she is still a baby, when she would be 17 by now, in high school and driving.