1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Offensive newspaper jab at puppeteers

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Terrence Burke, Sep 28, 2011.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It seems to me that whoever wrote the article, in general, has a very sharp (not in a good way) and sarcastic sense of humor, and is not just victimizing puppeteers (though I admit that saying puppeteers are child molesters was uncalled for), but just about everyone he has written about in the article; a lot of people write like that, in pathetic attempts to be funny, even though they can be a bit off color at times.

I mean, this article does seem like material written for a lousy stand up comedian to me.
  2. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Newspapers just don't like puppetry. I recall reading an article about public broadcasting in the US that mentioned SST, saying "The actors that play the puppets..."

Wait what? We have a name and now we have a thing against newspapers. I didn't find that article funny at all, not really offensive but just cringeworthy.
  3. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

If that's a joke, it's about as funny as The Sorrow and the Pity.
    Terrence Burke likes this.
  4. Walter

Walter Active Member

That's disgusting... that's not even something to joke about.. I would like to see that writer walk up to one of the poor victims of child molestation and say "I don't take you seriously":grr:
  5. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

You just expressed what ran through my head when I read that a lot better than I ever could.

Quite frankly, I'd be outraged no matter what profession he was slamming, but singling out puppeteers (and piano teachers) just seems like hitting below the belt. :mad:
  6. Thanks for your replies. As a parent of two young children, and as a puppeteer who performs for children and their families, this clown's "humor" really ticked me off. Did he reply? Apologize to the puppet community? Of course not.
  7. robodog

robodog Active Member

Forget him. He's an idiot. If this is what he thinks is funny he'd do well to actually watch something done by a decent puppeteer to see what real humor is. Jim Henson has probably crapped things that were funnier than this moron.
    I'm not a puppeteer but I highly respect the art form. The ability to breathe life into a puppet is an awesome skill to have. Much more impressive than the ability to make sarcastic, unfunny comments in a third rate newspaper column. I'm not even a puppeteer and this lackwit's comments are making my blood boil.
    Terrence Burke likes this.
  8. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

Dude is writing a weekly column (if you can call it that) for a newspaper in Cincinnati that most people have never heard of, much less ever bother to read. Ignore him.
  9. Puppetainer

Puppetainer Member

I'm with Buck on this one. Not worth the energy to respond.
  10. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Active Member

I see irony that the day he chose to mention that was 9/24.....but other than that I personally did not take offence, and i'm a semi (ir)regular puppeteer....i know this is internet chiche' but.."hater's gunna hate"
  11. Ruahnna

Ruahnna Well-Known Member

Well, I couldn't resist putting my two cents worth in. Here's what I sent:

Wow.

I was amazed at the combination of obnoxiousness and poor reason skills that typified your September 21-27th articles. Who knew that it was no longer necessary to think to write a commentary article?

Your style seems to consist of broad-themed offensiveness masquerading as hip cynicism, but falls short of the mark. I became aware of your article (thankfully, it's not something that I regularly receive) because of the uncalled-for remark about puppeteers that you made.

Let me see if I'm following your logic here: Let's mix heterosexual and homosexual soldiers together indiscriminately in military housing institutions, since there would never be any problems from that, but--criminy!--let's make sure that all puppeteers--including all of the ones on Sesame Street and other educational shows--are viewed as potential perverts. You're a regular public service announcement.

Please spare us all and put your crayon away until you've had a chance to think about what you are spewing.

C.A. Edwards
    frogboy4 likes this.