1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

Dismiss Notice
  3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Official: Disney announces Muppet Babies return in 2018

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by Phillip, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

OK, so the full voice cast has been announced:
    Kermit: Matt Danner
    Miss Piggy: Melanie Harrison
    Fozzie: Eric Bauza
    Gonzo: Ben Diskin
    Animal: Dee Bradley Baker (great choice IMO)
    Summer Penguin: Jessica DiCicco
    Nanny: Jenny Slate
    Also, looks like Scooter, Skeeter, Sam the Eagle, Sweetums, and possibly Lew Zealand could make appearances in the future.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  2. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

I had a hunch Dee would get the role for Animal. And it's funny that knowing his specialty is doing animal noises, he gets to play the character that's aptly-named. :)

I am a little disappointed that none of the original actors are returning this time, but I guess it's okay. They probably wanted to have a new cast in order to keep it fresh for the new generation.

mr3urious likes this.
  3. SesameFever

SesameFever Well-Known Member

Dod they have a start date yet???

4. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

No, but it’s going to start in March of 2018.

5. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Dee Bradley Baker as Animal?

Called it! :)

Not to mention Disney probably wants this show to last a good long while, so they're going with a younger cast. Not to mention the cost of hiring Frank Welker.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Pig's Laundry likes this.
  6. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I'd like to share some funny thoughts from Muppet podcasters about this.
    Steve Swanson: I love Muppet Babies, and I'm worried that they're gonna take something as cool as the Muppet Babies and turn it into a pre-schoolifed Micky Mouse Clubhouse version of this property.
    JD Hansel: Here's what we know so far: No sign of Scooter, Skeeter or Rowlf or Bunsen, Beaker or Bean. We don't know about them yet.
    Steve: Well, Bunsen, Beaker and Bean can be left out.
    JD: Uh, OK. Wow, really? With Bean too, your favorite?
    Steve: Well, the reason I say that is because, Bean wasn't brought in till the final season. He didn't even exist as a character for the beginning of the show.
    JD: Also Nanny will be revamped as the younger, hipper Miss Nanny.
    Steve: No, please tell me you made that up!
    JD: I didn't.
    Steve: See, we're done. We're done! You know what? Nothing in life makes me happier than being proven wrong. If this turns out to be a great show, I will very happily watch it and I'll be happy it's out there. I'm just worried that this isn't gonna be the show we wanna see.
    JD: Now I can't talk about this as passionately as I would like to, cause I didn't grow up with Muppet Babies. I caught a couple episodes of it on a VHS tape as a kid, thought it was fine, wasn't wild about it, and as I got older I tried to watch episodes on YT, can't really get into it. While it's visually a very creative show, a lot of the writing of the dialogue just doesn't grab me.
    Steve: How dare you, sir?!
    JD: A lot of the writing of the dialogue just seems like regular '80s kid show dialogue.
    Steve: You know what? Just go!
    JD: But apart from that, there's a lot of creativity there. There was one time where one of them dressed as Spider-Man and talked to the real Stan Lee as he was developing the comic that the character was in. And weird stuff like that I really appreciate. So there's a lot of creativity that I hope they'll keep up. But apart from that, I don't see what it is about Muppet Babies that makes it an exceptionally Muppety production or even a particularly funny one.
    Steve: Well, that's your fault, sir!
    JD: I didn't grow up with it, I don't have the nostalgia. I did not choose when I was born.
    Steve: Okay, well I don't love it, just cause it's a Muppet property, because I'm not a huge fan of the Fraggle Rock animated series.
    JD: Yeah, I never watched it.
    Steve: I just don't wanna see them take something that they could really kinda mess up. Think back to when ABC announced they were gonna do a new Muppet series, we were all really happy about that, and rightly so because, they took the characters and did something different. And they very clearly said, we're gonna do something new and different with these characters. But to my knowledge, they didn't do that with this, I mean they're gonna add a character and that's fine, but it's kinda hard to explain, but I was more comfortable with them making a new Muppet series than I am with them making a new Muppet Baby series.
    JD: Yeah, that's fair.

7. SesameFever

SesameFever Well-Known Member

Tanks.

8. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

9. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Well-Known Member

I didn't think I see Eric Bauza as the new Baby Fozzie. :o

10. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

One thing I'm surprised about (and surprised I didn't think about sooner) is that, as far as we know, there's not going to be a Baby Pepe.

11. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

I'm glad that there isn't a Baby Pepe; personally I don't think that would work. Pepe is more of an "adult" Muppet if you know what I mean.

12. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

Don't count it out; there's so much unknown. If I hadn't spotted Lew Zealand, Sam and Sweetums for a second in that picture on the wall we wouldn't have known about them either. My guess for this show is that it will have a smaller core but more Muppet guests, like some episodes will focus on certain characters.

13. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah, it could like, get rully weird if the Muppet with a "sexy" Spanish accent and who flirts with everything was on this show.

14. Froggy Fool

Yeah... very weird. >.<

15. Froggy Fool

16. xSunnyEclipse

xSunnyEclipse Well-Known Member

Froggy Fool and Pig's Laundry like this.
  17. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Well-Known Member

Wow, I am pleasantly surprised. This really seems like it's gonna be fun, honestly. Didn't like every single song, but there were only 2 or 3 I wasn't a fan of. Just gonna roughly point out some things I noticed. Spoilers below!

- The theme song is well preserved, and I really do like the changes.
    - Summer's detective song is probably one of my favorites - especially surprising, since I didn't expect to like her character.
    - It seems like there's some frog character named Carlos? Must be another new character.
    - Bunsen sounds a lot like Foop from Fairly OddParents, definitely played by Eric Bauza.
    - Gonzo sounds like Wembley Fraggle, which is bugging me a little, but I'm sure I'll adapt.
    - Apparently, Rizzo, Statler & Waldorf, and Rowlf will be on the show, which is absolutely awesome. Still no word on Scooter and Skeeter, outside of a picture on the wall.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  18. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Listening to the album, I feel like this shows Baby Gonzo sounds like a Steve Whitmire character. I keep hearing Wembly Fraggle (as well as Bean Bunny and Rizzo, but I think of Wembley the most) when I hear him talk.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  19. Little Robin

Little Robin Member

I love the idea of reviving old favorites for new generations to enjoy.
    I gave those tracks a listen and am more impressed than not with the voice cast, particularly Animal.
    I feel like this could be fun.

Froggy Fool and ConsummateVs like this.
  20. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

You know what? This show could be a win-win. Frank Oz always complains about the Muppets being too cute... well here is the perfect situation for them to be cute in.

I noticed Rugratskid pointed out Bunsen was in one of the songs. Does anyone else appear (since I'm too lazy to comb through every song)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.