Official word on Farscape cancelation; news on movie and anime

beaker

Reaction score
This just in from!(taken from comingsoon.net )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TV Guide talked to Sci Fi Channel president Bonnie Hammer about why the popular Farscape will end after its 11 new episodes this season. Although Jim Henson Co. is developing a Farscape feature and anime project at starburst speed, and looking into syndication options, alienated viewers are nonetheless calling for a boycott of the cable network that shot down their favorite show.

TV Guide Online: So, what gives? Why would you want to cancel such a rad show?
Bonnie Hammer: We never wanted to cancel it. What we were trying to do was do 13 more episodes, not 22. The ratings had softened, and it was getting increasingly expensive to produce. We just couldn't make the financial deal. But we never wanted it to end when it ended. We had all intentions of doing 13 more episodes [beyond these 11] — we wanted to keep it in '03 and end it in '03. But financially, it was just too difficult to do.

TVGO: In that case, why not at least do a proper wrap-up, a TV movie or something?
Hammer: We looked at all the options. But with the speed in which it would have had to be done — because the set had to be broken down and the cast had to come back [from Australia, where shooting took place] and the scripts weren't written — [the cost] would have been enormous. [It would] have been almost as if we were doing [the upcoming epic miniseries] Children of Dune — and with less potential upside. We love the series... and would have liked nothing more than for it to have had a little bit more of a broad appeal. If all of those incredible fans who wrote in and sent notes and flowers and [whatnot] had actually watched it every week, we would have been able to do the 22.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aw, so the truth comes out?

And what is this about a rapid pace on the anime series and movie? Hmmmmm...

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
If all of those incredible fans who wrote in and sent notes and flowers and [whatnot] had actually watched it every week, we would have been able to do the 22.
**** at the 'Whatnot' - say it Bonnie - it's ok ..... 'Cracker Packets' ! Hahahahahaha !

As for the anime series, yeah thats been in development for months now, must be nearing production stages if they have a deal.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
He sounded bitter to me. I was never a fan of the show, but appreciated it was doing something different than other Sci-Fi shows. (No names :wink:) Hey, maybe they'll make a Farscape Voyager or something. You never know. (Only kidding).

The truth is, the bone-heads at Sci-Fi would have rather funded the doomed Tremors series and other shows. Farscape had healthy numbers and it was not justified to cancel it this year. Someone high up apparently didn't like the show or ink its original deal. They would have rather started another show than fund one that had already peaked. Other networks have tried to kill shows with a popular following. Twin Peaks anyone? MST3K on Sci-Fi! It's much easier to kill something with a decrease in numbers than to figure out where it goes on the line-up.

That guy just souded bitter in his responses.

beaker

Reaction score
Let's just face it...sci fi are idiots. I mean they reversed time slots with Stargate SG-1!?!?!?! Geez, the fans should have protested right then. Im curious...I wonder how many Farscape fans are Muppet fans as well?

Hmmm, best sci fi series ever, cancelled cuz of some idiot higher up execs.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have met a lot of non Muppet enthusiast Farscape fans. It's weird.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I have met a lot of non Muppet enthusiast Farscape fans. It's weird.
I rather have people be Muppet fans first than Farscape fans. I just dont see how you can be a Farscape fan and not be a Muppet fan first. Odd. Dont these people know Farscape is JHC?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Some people just like Sci-Fi stuff. Makes perfect sense to me. I'm more of a Muppet fan myself, but people like what they like. I never said they hated the Muppets, the Farscape fans I know just aren't enthusiasts. They don't need to be enamored with both. I have never understood why some people don't absolutely love the Muppets.:smile:

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
to add a little perspective for you guys... i'm a big Muppet fan (of coarse) but i am also a fan of farscape (although i have only seen 3 episodes since its always on late for me)it is a good show and i guess it depends on your interests. Farscape is a bit far off from the Muppet "world" and i figure thats why it is hard to be a Sci-Fi fan and a fan of the muppets at the same time. they are two opposite genres.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Cool perspective. Love your avatar!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a reminder, new episodes of season four will begin airing this Friday night. Everybody tune in and let us know what you think of the remaining 11 episodes left to air.