Oh, a mud man is a person in your neighborhood

SesameMike

Reaction score
Does anyone remember a Muppet known as the "mudman" from the 1970s? He sounded a little like Biff except with less of a New York edge.

The mudman used to appear periodically in street scenes. His primary purpose was to make regular deliveries of mud to Oscar. He actually delivered the stuff in neat little sealed jars. What Oscar did with the stuff I have no idea. (Mudbaths?)

The mudman actually sung the title of this post once, albeit just that line and without musical accompaniment.

The mudman appeared in one episode in which Oscar decided to isolate himself. After putting on earmuffs (stuffed with cotton!) and a blindfold, Oscar was distraught that he could smell the flowers someone brought so he put a clothespin on his nose. Then the adults started patting and kissing him, so Oscar put metal grating wastebasket over himself. Now Oscar was totally isolated -- Susan commented "...he doesn't even know we're here." But then the mudman came by and Oscar didn't reply! Said he wouldn't return for another month. Then Bob came by with some old tin cans; again Oscar was oblivious. After that, an Anything Muppet came by to sell Oscar some stinkweeds. Still no reply. This scene gave the unspoken lesson that isolation keeps one from good things as well as bad (or is that the other way around in Oscars case.)

In another episode, we didn't really see the mudman per se, but the adults did notice a square pallet of mud jars, neatly stacked in 3 levels sitting outside Oscar's can. Oscar later explained that he ordered "3 layers of mud" for a special event. Was this the party in which they had the "pickle roast"?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
this must have been from very early on. a book called SS bedtime Stories whitch had I'm not sure how many but 1 of them was about Oscar having a bad dream and one of the things that happened was he sees the mudman and thinks he's getting his usual mud delivery one he tell Oscar he's bringing him fresh bottles of milkl. Oscar obviously outraged and says milk? etc. The MM says Oscar I wouldn't bring bottle of mud to people. That's disgusting. That was the only time I've heard of such a person.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
There's also a picture of him in the "Who's Who on SS" coloring books, and he appears at least twice in the SS Dictionary.