1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

Dismiss Notice
  3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Okay, I've got a big question here...

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by D'Snowth, Jul 12, 2006.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

You guys wanna know why I come to you all for advice? Cuz I love ya, and trust your all's advice and pointers you give me! But that's not what the question is, here's my question...

Okay, this is something I've been thinking about for quite awhile, but I think I should give a little background about this. Awhile back at Edtropolis (A major Ed, Edd n Eddy fansite), the webmistress did an e-mail interview with one of the voice-actors of the show, including several questions that were submitted by fellows fans (including me:D ), and it turned out awesome. I'd kinda like to do an interview like that with Kathy via regular mail since she's not much of a computer person, and most likely doesn't have e-mail. I have two problems facing me right now about this:

1. I'm not sure how I would go about doing. I know I'd have to ask her kindly, but I don't know where to take from there if she responds with a yes or no.
    2. I'm scared.

So, does any body have any advice and/or pointers in this, and SHOULD I even TRY to do this?

2. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets Well-Known Member

Go for it!

3. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Well, I think it's a great idea, and I think Kathy would be flattered! The only problem is that outside of a handfull of other people, you may not have the support you may need or want at first. Who knows though, this may be just the thing to atract people to your site, which would definately make it worth it in my opinion!

4. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Well-Known Member

talk to here publicist

5. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

You could always give it a try. You really have nothing to lose.

I do see a problem with it though that might be a road block. The Edtropolis is a major Ed, Edd n Eddy fansite which would be easier to sell to the voice actor as a great way to reach its fans. You would have to approach it as a great way for Kathy to reach her fans by emphasizing number of visits and hits on your site, etc. Otherwise, if it comes across as a fan just wanting to meet Kathy it would seem creepy.

6. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Well... If the question is whether you should try or not Snowth... Then, yes, try. The worst that can happen is she or her rep would say "No".
    And you should definitely try to make it seem as if this interview is for a fansite dedicated to her. If it were just some fan, it might seem creepy, or it might seem normally OK. But you might get a better response if you play up the fact it's for a fansite dedicated to her.

Other than that, not sure what to advise you regarding the interview itself. Try to be polite... Do your research on her career so you'll have enough material for an interview as long as you're given... Remember to thank her for taking time out of her schedule to grant the interview...
    You know, all the stuff that should be part of a good interview. Honestly hope this helps you pal.

7. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

Of course you should go for it Snowthy! I think it's a wonderful idea! Like everyone said, the worst that she'll say is no, but you'll never know unless you try. Way to go, I know you can do it!

8. Yes, go for it!!

9. D'Snowth

That's one of the things why I'm scared...I'm afraid she might think I'm like some sort of stalker or something. I mean, she knows I did a fansite for her, as she did approve of it, but the thing is, when I first wrote to her last year, I had already asked her (politely of course) if there were any little biographical details she could share for other fans to read about when they visit the site. Now here I would be asking her if I could do an interview with her through mail...that's kinda be asking too much from a celebrity wouldn't it?

10. redBoobergurl

I don't think it's too much to ask her. If you're very polite and tell her what types of questions you'd be asking I don't think she'll see you as a stalker.

11. D'Snowth

Okay, now then, does anybody have any suggestions of exactly HOW I should ask her? What exactly should I say? I want this to be as polite and sincere as possible.

12. Ernie101

Ernie101 Well-Known Member

Dear Kathy Greenwood, I am interested in interviewing you via mail, for my fansite the KGZ. If you are not to busy, I would like to ask you a few simple questions. (insert questions)

Thank you for your time and cooperation,

(name)

There, I took a shot at it just to help you... It's not to great.. but I'm sure you'll be alright man, your the writer aren't ya? ;)

13. D'Snowth

That's sounds good enough, but don't you think I should ask if she's willing to do the interview BEFORE I send the questions? After all, if she says yes, then I plan to have other fans submit questions for the interview.

Fan participation is one thing KGZ tends to lack.

14. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Well... Some celebrities prefer to know what the questions will be ahead of time when selecting to grant interviews. Not sure, would ask her if she's willing to do the interview first so the hard part's out of the way. Then, if she asks what the type of questions involved in the interview will be, you can explain to her some will be spontaneous as asked by fans visiting the website, and others will be dealing with such and such topic or this and that aspect as you come up with what core questions you want to ask her.

Hope this helps pal.

15. Ernie101

Ernie101 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing D'snowth. I was thinking you could start getting questions gathered up first by fans, but then if she declines on doing the interview that might be kinda bummer for everyone. I like Count's idea though, just wondering how long this whole thing will take you if your doing this through regular mail.

16. D'Snowth

So, does anyone else have any suggestions on exactly HOW I should ask her?

17. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you are going to write her. I would first introduce yourself and give her a little background about your website. At that point, she will probably remember you asking for permission about the website. This should put her at ease and kind of break the ice. I would tell her your idea of interviewing her so that fans of the site might get to know her a little better. I would also mention that you would like to generate more excitement among her fans by them being able to submit questions that you would ask her. All the questions would be submitted in a follow up letter that she could respond to. Ask her politely if she wouldn't mind taking an hour or so to answer the questions. Thank her in advance for her consideration and taking time to consider this.

If everything goes well she will write you back saying it is a great idea and she would love to participate.

Then follow up with the questions, first thanking her for agreeing to it and taking the time. Do not go overboard with the length of the interview or number of questions. You do not want to abuse her time. I would also steer clear of any personal questions, such as "do you have a boyfriend?" "How much money do you make?" etc. Stick to questions about her experiences in comedy, on Who's Line and what the future may hold in her professional life.

After she responds with the answers to the questions, follow it up with a thank you note or card telling her how well it went over on the site and how enthusiastic her fans were.

Who knows, maybe she will do a live interview after that.

Good luck!

18. D'Snowth

You had a good point there. Do you think asking her who and what inspired her to be a performer, and if there was any other career option she considered would be too personal?:confused:

19. redBoobergurl

Gosh no! Those are hardly questions I would consider too personal. Too personal is stuff like about her dating life and stuff like that. Asking about her inspirations and other career thoughts she's had is fine. It's not embaressing, it's good! You know Snowthy, if you write the letter I'm sure a few of us would be happy to read it before you send it to her. At least I know I would.

20. D'Snowth

Alright, I'll work on a rough draft of the letter, get your all's feedback, then do a final draft.

Sheesh, I was less nervous when I FIRST wrote to her...and I sent her a portrait I drew of her with it as well. Why am I so nervous this time?