Old Inserts with Big Bird and Oscar

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
Did any of you notice how years ago, I'd say before the Elmo's World days, they would often air sketches where the Muppets had a noticably outdated look to them? They often would do it with charachters like Ernie, Bert, Grover, and Cookie and the rest, since they were only seen in inserts back then, and used various inserts from various years, which makes sense, but they didn't usually do this with Big Bird and Oscar since they were part of the main street, and main storylines of the show. However, I do remember a few times when they broke this rule.

They aired the sketch with Oscar in Ernie and Bert's apartment in a 1977 episode, where Oscar had his older bright green look that he had in the early 70's.

Admiral Bird, they showed in the mid 80's where Big Bird had the older look to him that he had back in the 70's.

There was one with Oscar on the street from 1974 where he sang the song swamp mushy muddy that was seen in an episode from 1987

The 1973 version of "I love trash" which had the bright green Oscar with the briefcase next to his can, was seen in an episode from 1984.

And I remember in 1993 the skit "Sing in the Shower" aired which I think is from the early 80's, that had both Big Bird and Oscar in it. I know Oscar looked quite a bit different in that, and you can see the barrells behind his walls in Big Bird's nest area, that were gone in 1993, plus this skit has Olivia in it, who no longer appeared on the show at the time.

Do any of the rest of you remember any older Big Bird and Oscar inserts, that still popped up in the later years? I can imagine there was probably a lot of inserts with them that had to be discontinued, because their looks didn't match the current versions of those 2 in the show's storylines.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this would count, but I recall seeing the bit from the 80's where Oscar's trash can is drawn and labeled CASA. And since most of my memories come from he late 90's, I can assume I saw it then.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'd tend to think that by the mid 80's, the main reason you didn't see much really old bits with Oscar or Big Bird wasn't so much due to how different the Muppets looked but since both characters largely were used on the street proper, there weren't as many sketches with them that had just Muppets in them and not human cast members...and seeing someone like Maria, Bob, et al looking 10-15 years younger would be a bit more jarring than seeing an older version of a puppet.