Old Nick Appreciation Thread

What was your favorite show?

• Total voters

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Well, Jimmy was an absolute moron. He had zero common sense. He meant well, usually, but he didn't have the foresight to see potential problems.

Timmy, on the other hand, was a selfish little brat.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Personally, I thought Timmy Turner was more of an unlikable protagonist than Jimmy. Especially in later episodes.
Timmy, on the other hand, was a selfish little brat.
Fairly Odd Parents will go down in history for me as Biggest, Backstabbing, Disappointment Ever. That show started off so well, I loved it, and then just degenerated into cruel, non funny "humor" with absolutely zero message. It should just be put out of its misery.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I never really liked FOP. I mean, I would watch it on occasion, and I still do, but it really doesn't do much for me. You're right though, the humor did tend to veer into more cruel than funny.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
And I never cared much for those Jimmy/Fairly Odd Parents crossovers. I thought they were pretty disapointing.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Some of my favorite 90s Nick bumpers:

And my personal favorite, the uncut calling cades bumper, that included the announcer gettting slimed. I used to be able to easily find it on youtube, but now not so much.

And I know this is early 2000 Nick, but it's nostalgia for me:
At 2:26 in the second video, is that the embarassing photo of SpongeBob at the Christmas party that Patrick had in his secret box?

galagr

Reaction score
The 90's Nick is pure nostalgia for me. I actually never saw Clarissa Explains it All or The Adventures of Pete and Pete. I watched lots of All That, Kenan and Kel, Hey Arnold ( one of my personal favorites), The Amanda Show, Angry Beavers, and early Rugrats. The first 4-5 seasons of Rugrats were great, until they brought in Dil. Don't get me wrong, big Tara Strong ( voice actor for Dil ) fan, but, after they brought him in, I just couldn't stand it. He added an unneccesary amount of potty humor to the show. Yeah, I get it's a show about babies/ toddlers, but he just brought it to unneccesary levels. Okay, rant over.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You're right though, the humor did tend to veer into more cruel than funny.
But that was a big, noticeable change. The early episodes were nothing like that. It's so upsetting when a show ends up selling out like that, especially a kid's show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The first 4-5 seasons of Rugrats were great, until they brought in Dil. Don't get me wrong, big Tara Strong ( voice actor for Dil ) fan, but, after they brought him in, I just couldn't stand it. He added an unneccesary amount of potty humor to the show. Yeah, I get it's a show about babies/ toddlers, but he just brought it to unneccesary levels. Okay, rant over.
That is another show that has a noticeable "jumped the shark" moment, lol.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
And it only got worse with the addition of Kimi. To me, she served no purpose other than to (a) wrap up the whole "Chuckie not having a mommy" story and (b) prove that the show's creators were running low on ideas. If anything, she was just a female Tommy.

But All Grown Up was the nail in the coffin.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I first remember knowing about Nickelodeon in 1991 or 1992. My aunt and uncle had cable, and when I saw Nickelodeon, I really wanted cable (and my household finally got cable in 1992!). But before getting cable I did get to see some of the programming at other people's houses. Some of the first things I remember seeing on Nickeloden were the original three Nicktoons, Looney Tunes, Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff, and certain Nick at Nite shows (Best of SNL, Mister Ed, Mork and Mindy, Bewitched). When I finally got cable, I feel like I watched Nickelodeon all the time (though I know that's not true). There's hardly a show on the channel that I didn't watch, even if I still did watch other channels and did other things besides watch TV.

I remember learning a bit about the channel's '80s history in 1999, when the 20th anniversary was beginning. Around that time Nickelodeon had a weekend-long anniversary marathon, featuring many shows no longer on the channel. I had seen it pointed out that this marathon did NOT include anything from the very early years of the channel, making me a little disapointed, because I really wanted to see Pinwheel and those other shows. But now I don't have the same desire to see all those shows anymore (I've caught a little bit of Pinwheel on youtube, but don't think I've ever gotten through a whole YouTube clip). Though I do enjoy watching the '80s promos online.

There's a lot I'd like to talk about, but don't have much time right now. I'd like to say that Welcome Freshmen seems to be a very underrated show. I've found onlly one full episode, "Money", on youtube (there's another episode, "The People Versus Walter", which for some reason is only the first half and the end credits. I'd like to know how that episode ended!). The Nostalgia Critic didn't mention it in his "Nickelodeon Month" (likely he couldn't find any footage), it's one of the few '90s Nick shows not on iTunes in any way (there's a number of iTunes releases called the "Nick Rewind" collection, featuring random episodes from different shows, and that's not even included... And yet episodes of "As Told By Ginger" and "Rocket Squad" are???). TV Tropes doesn't even have a page for the show. But at the time that was one of my favorite live-action Nick shows, along with Salute Your Shorts and Nick Arcade.