1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Old Nick Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greengables95, Sep 7, 2012.

?

What was your favorite show?

1. Clarissa Explains It All

8.8%
  2. Ren and Stimpy

32.4%
  3. Are You Afraid of the Dark?

8.8%
  4. Roundhouse

11.8%
  5. All That

17.6%
  6. Rugrats

35.3%
  7. The Amanda Show

17.6%
  8. Other

32.4%
  9. Don't Care

2.9%
  10. The Adventures of Pete & Pete

8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I just remembered something Nickelodeon did during the 1992 election (has the channel done it for every election since?). They had a "Kids Pick the President" where kids could call and say who they vote for.

But what was the point? Just to show who would win if kids voted (as I recall, Bill Clinton won in the "kids pick" thing as well as the real election). After all, the kids votes still wouldn't count towards the actual election.

I tried to call and vote, but the phone lines were all busy.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

They're actually doing that again right now.

I seem to remember a few years back, probably the 2004 election, they actually had a book with Fairly Oddparents and Spongebob on it.

Insert whatever joke about the election you want here.

3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I honestly don't remember being aware that their was an election going on in 2004, I guess because I was only five. But I definitely remember the presidents song that Nick had during that time:

It would be cool if they started airing this again, just update it a bit.
    Yeah, it's just a way of giving kids a voice.Funny thing is, they've actually managed to predict the real election winner every election since this thing started (save for the 2004 election). I guess, "Kids Pick" shows us who the majority of the kids' parents are voting for, and that's why they always pick the winner.

4. Pig's Laundry

5. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Legends of the Hidden Temple seems like an odd thing to make a movie out of. I mean I guess it translates relatively ok in theory to a non game show format but? I dunno. Seems odd to me. I'm more interested in this Double Dare special.

scooterfan360 and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  6. Pig's Laundry

Definitely. I love Double Dare, and i'm glad their basically using the original format. But the Legends movie just seems like it might just end up being a generic TV version of any random adventure movie like the Indiana Jones.

EDIT: Well, after watching the trailer, it's definitely different then what I was expecting. I'll at least give it this: it looks far more interesting and creative then any of Nick's other TV movies.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  7. Drtooth

I'd see some sort of mythology behind the series's backdrop. Seems like there could be something interesting there. As long as it isn't one of those terrible excuse movies that puts all the current stars of their kidcoms into some schticky, sitcomy situation.

As for Double Dare, I'm psyched for them actually having a full episode. They have been doing some anniversary running of the obstacle course with the reunion cast of All That they ran over a weekend in the summer. But that was during commercial breaks during old reruns of the show. Marc seems just as eager as ever to host a revival, even if its just one episode. DD is a great kid's game show back when those actually were a thing. That and Carmen Sandiego really got it right where others were just... ehhhhhh... Anyone remember Funhouse? I barely do.

8. Pig's Laundry

Sorry, here's the trailer. meant to post it in my previous message:

Cool that they at least still have the original host.
    I guess Nick tried to bring back game shows starting around 2009-ish with "Brainsurge" and then a few years later they revived "Figure it Out" but those kinda just disappeared. Also, I guess The Hub had a bunch of kids' game shows, but we all know how that whole channel went.

9. Drtooth

Here's some old Nickelodeon promos for non-Nickelodeon shows.

Now, I remember that Inspector Gadget kept ping ponging from syndication to Nickelodeon every so often. The last time the show was on the network was when Disney released that awful movie in '99. hey. Remember when a movie would come out and they'd use the TV show as some sort of marketing? Yeah. Nick/Nicktoons didn't do that with Penguins of Madagascar and CN didn't do it with the How to Train Your Dragon series. Shame they didn't.

MikaelaMuppet and Mo Frackle like this.
  10. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

More non-Nick shows.

11. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Do you know if Dee Bradley Baker will return as Olmec?

12. Pig's Laundry

13. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

14. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Huh. That does look a lot more interesting than a generic Indiana Jones type thing. I actually kinda like how they acknowledge the fact that yes it is a gameshow. I may actually check it out if I think about it. Or wait until it inevitably comes on netflix.

And on a side note in regards to the hub gameshows, they weren't very good or interesting :p

15. Pig's Laundry

Or just watch it on the internet the day after it premieres, because someone will definitely put it up, weather it's technically legal or not :halo:

That's true, but it was still nice that that they were trying something different. I guess in a lot of ways the Hub was a lot like early Nick.

16. Pig's Laundry

You're welcome.

17. minor muppetz

Here's something I recently found that I had wanted to see again: The 1993 Slime Time Live. Looking at some YouTube clips, it seems like they had Slime Time other years, I only remember them doing it in Summer/Fall 1993.

This was the first time I remember seeing Rocko. I spotted him during the sequence where they quickly show single-second images of various characters who tell the caller who they have to find and wondered who Rocko was (I don't remember seeing any promos or anything for the show before then, and I had cable for a year and had watched Nickelodeon almost all the time).

I remember only once seeing an instance of the caller having to hear from Rocko, I can't remember who he said to find (I'm guessing either Heffer or Spunky, in fact I think I forgot by the time I watched an episode). Too bad that one's not in this YouTube compilation.

EDIT TO ADD: I must have missed a lot of Rocko stuff. Looking at an episode guide, the first episode I saw ("A Sucker for the Suck-O-Matic"/"Canned") came halfway through the first season, and I've always been sure I watched the show since the moment it premiered. I feel I would have remembered being aware of the show and missing so many episodes before finally seeing it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  18. minor muppetz

I've thought a few things about Rocko's Modern Life recently.

In I Have No Parents, Rocko and Philbert act surprised when they see that the creator of the Fatheads has the last name Bighead. But it also seems like they had been watching/fans of the show for a while. They're just now noticing the creators name?

In the episode where Rocko decides to write a love letter to his mail carrier, only for Heffer to fill in for her and inform Rocko of Wallace, who they assume is her boyfriend (but ends up being her brother), Heffer ends up giving the letter to Wallace, and then when Wallace is unable to read it, Heffer reads it to him. But the letter was addressed to the mail carrier, not Wallace, so he's committing a federal offense.