1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 18th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Christmas Shopping
    Support Muppet Central and get great deals for everyone on your list! From Blu-rays and DVDs to Plush and Toys to Collector's Books you'll find something for everyone.

4. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Old Nickelodeon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xevia, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Xevia

Xevia Active Member

I know that this has probably been posted before, but I really miss some of the old Nickelodeon shows like Salute your Shorts, Hey Dude, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and things like that.

What were your favorites? :crazy:

2. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets Well-Known Member

You ain't alone in this! Really liked all of the shows yo men mentioned! Really love Clarissa Explains It all!

3. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Well-Known Member

I used to watch all the shows mentioned, but I really was in it for the cartoons. My favorites were usually the non-Nicktoons like Muppet Babies, Tiny Toons, Beetlejuice, the Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show, ect.

I am really thankful for the old Nickelodeon that showed The Muppet Show, The Frog Prince, Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, Muppet Family Christmas, and and all of the other Jim Henson goodness that I probably would have never seen had I not watched it there.

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I tend to have found most of the live action shows overrated. Pete and Pete, All That, and Kenan and Kel were the only ones I thought were entertaining.

No, for me, it was all about Nicktoons. Ren and Stimpy, Rocko, Doug, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold, and all that.... even the first few seasons of Rugrats before it became annoyingly over popular. And what was with that one where they were teenagers? It was cute as a special, but it tended to blend it with As told by Ginger and Rocket Power... Rocket Power being the only Nicktoon I truely truely hate.

5. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Ah...classic Nick. I remember such shows as...

Kenan & Kel
    All That
    Doug
    Rugrats
    Angry Beavers
    The Amanda Show
    Wild Thornberrys
    Tiny Toon Adventures
    CatDog
    Rocko's Modern Life
    KaBlam!
    Animaniacs
    Alvin and the Chipmunks
    Hey Arnold!
    Garfield and Friends
    Figure It Out
    GUTS
    Cousin Skeeter
    Pinky and the Brain
    Oh Yeah! Cartoons
    Salute Your Shorts
    Spongebob Squarepants

and newbies like

Jimmy Neutron
    Fairly Oddparents
    Drake and Josh

Other than that, Nick today isn't all that good.:coy:

6. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

My favorites from old Nickelodeon were...

Today's Special, Special Delivery, Out of Control, Dangermouse, Count Duckula, The Little Prince, Turkey Television, Ren & Stimpy, Hey Arnold! and, The Old episodes of You Can't Do That on Television.

And I also liked when before Cartoon Network came, Nick showed Yogi Bear and all of his spin off shows.

7. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Well-Known Member

I love old Nickelodeon. :super:

The shows I remember watching were Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Muppet Babies (of course, :)), Angry Beavers, Doug, Ahhh Real Monsters, Are you Afraid of the Dark? and more.

I actually have the first episode of Angry Beavers on my Ipod, they have some of the old Nicktoons on Itunes, which makes me believe that their will be a DVD release sometime soon.

8. yetiman

yetiman Well-Known Member

I think that Rocko's Modern Life is one of the best cartoons of all time. The weird story lines like Heffer the cow finding out that he was adopted, even though his family is a pack of wolves are just priceless.

Does anyone remember Legends of the Hidden Temple? That was pretty awesome, too.

9. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Well-Known Member

Most of the old game shows were fantastic, along with Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, and ... oh, that's about it in terms of Nicktoons.

I did like it when MB reran endlessly on Nickelodeon, however.

BJ

10. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Ren and Stimpy was classsic (though at the time my cable company didn't deliver Nick so i first caught it on MTV which it was more suited towards - at least during the superior first season anyway) but nothing ever shown on Nick has ever come close to topping You Can't Do That On Television. The gold standard of kids shows!

11. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Well-Known Member

Legends of the Hidden Temple was great, but Double Dare was just plain awesome. I remember wanting to be on that show... Along with that one Nick Arcade show. But that wasn't nearly as interesting as Double Dare.

12. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

I grew up watching everything on Nickelodeon back in the 90's. I can't say enough of what i really loved but i enjoyed everything about the channel.

I have every one of the DVDs that came out only to know they still haven't released all of Clarissa Explains It all and Pete and Pete. But knowing they all got canceled after a few years later after they released them. They actually had planned for a "You Can't Do that On TV" best of DVD but it didn't make it. :(

13. Son of Enik

Son of Enik Well-Known Member

Thank you...I was waiting for someone to mention these shows! I'm not much younger than you Xerus, and I remember the programs you mentioned very well along with Nick Rocks.

14. Erine81981

Your right. I almost forgot about Yogi Bear being shown on Nick. I remember that like a i'm able to play it in my head like a DVD.

15. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Well-Known Member

Old school Nickelodeon would be shows like "Pin Wheel" and "Double Dare".

16. Ilikemuppets

Yeah1 I would have top say I'm down with first generation Nick! I really liked most of the show on second generation too the the inclusion of the early Nicktoon's and the like. Anything after the first half of 96, it's every man for himself... "Hey Arnold" would probably be somewhere near where it ends for me. Anything after that, Blah, meh really... There were very few and far between things on there worth watching after that point for me.

17. Erine81981

I enjoyed the first couple of seasons of "Hey Arnold" and "KaBlam!" show too. Hey Arnold was the time that "Alex Mac" was starting to come to an end. I would have really wanted a spin off show but i know they wouldn't now but back then they could have. But those three were some of my favorites even back in 96.

18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You know, I never got the chance to see Duckula and Danger Mouse. They weren't on until after I left my friend's house. I had to sit through those stupid Noozles and David the Gnome (YES! I'm the only one in the world that hated those shows.) and I never got the chance to see those until years later on Youtube...

19. Ilikemuppets

Oh man! I love both Count Duckula and Danger Mouse! Those cartoon were brilliant! I loved The Noozles! That show was deep! David the Gnome was always a bit odd to me, but I lied it anyway!

20. ngreen522

ngreen522 Well-Known Member

I didn't really search to see if this was mentioned, do you guys remember The Big Help! every year they do some sort of telethon where kids pledge hours. (Well, I don't know if they've done it every year since I was a kid) but I think it started out as The Big Help! Then, years later it became Let's Just Play or something like that. and now I think they call it The Big Green Help. But it all started with The Big Help, back when I pledged.

Also, does anyone remember Nick burring a time capsule that they're supposed to dig up in 50 years. I think it was back in the early 90's .... Can't wait for that.