Old Nickelodeon

Drtooth

Reaction score
Which is why I don't quite care for 80's Era Nick. Some of the shows on the network that they reran were always available on local syndication. Inspector Gadget especially, though I swear there was a brief period where they stopped airing it because it was on Nickelodeon. I think Nick may have run the 1985 season more frequently, but I'm not sure. I do remember watching an episode on Nick that was grainier than usual (a trademark of the second season due to a new animation outsource that wasn't in their usual season 1 outsources).

I've been downing the anime selections on the 80's channel a lot this thread, but the one thing I don't think modern anime fans really get is the fact that these things used to be cheap filler. Well, with the exception of stuff like Robotech, Voltron, and the like which were at least motivated by toy sales and became something more of themselves than the cute animals stuff Nick was buying (I'm guessing from Saban back when it wasn't a media empire). There's that whole East/West difference of values thing that kept certain shows out of here, unless they were cut relentlessly. Something that was common practice no one complained about then, vs the never shutting up about what 4Kids did to One Piece today.

That's what made the Nick anime airings unique by today's standards, but commonplace back then. A small start up indie company could just buy up rights to unpopular shows like "Fushigina Koala Blinky," a minor 26 episode series made only to cash in off of the popularity of a zoo aquisition, and turn it into Noozels which ran far longer in the US than it did over there. And not just TV companies. There were also companies that bought up entire series only to chop them the heck up and release them as a stand-a-lone movie on cheap VHS. Far removed from the norm ever since the 90's, where rights were far harder to get, companies fought bidding wars, and even Japanese animation studios unloading failures not even top distribution and dubbing companies wanted as the only way to get prized and or marketable series. Sometimes they even manage to get the rights before a show is in production. A long way from the cheap filler programming and VHS movies from the 80's.

I find it funny Nick had a policy of not picking up anime during the late 90's-mid '00's boom, yet they had so many of these little cheap-o filler shows back then. Even now, Nicktoons has anime, but mostly of the toy commercial for 8 year olds variety. They had Dragon Ball Kai and GT when the Kai episodes ran out. That's the most sophisticated classic series they had.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A quick zap2it search shows that "The Splat" line up that starts Monday has Kenan and Kel at 11 PM, Doug at Midnight, and Ren and Stimpy at 1 Am. I thought this was supposed to be all cartoon format, but it isn't. Can't complain with Kenan and Kel, though.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
A quick zap2it search shows that "The Splat" line up that starts Monday has Kenan and Kel at 11 PM, Doug at Midnight, and Ren and Stimpy at 1 Am. I thought this was supposed to be all cartoon format, but it isn't. Can't complain with Kenan and Kel, though.
Great that we're getting more Ren and Stimpy than we did on 90s are All That.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Splat has been launched this Monday. So if you actually have Teen Nick and can check it out, it's available now.

On the Plus side: every night has a different line up, and last night featured Rocko's Modern Life at 10 PM. And "Canned" was uncut and had the Phone Sex Line joke in it. And for those who like them, the game shows Double Dare and Legend of the Hidden Temple are coming up, I think Thursday.

On the negative: It's Time Shift programming, meaning the line up repeats itself, and therefore it's much shorter than it claims to be. And they still have *(&^%$ Rocket Power on there, probably at the expense of a far greater show that should be on in its stead.

Erine81981

Reaction score
The Splat has been launched this Monday. So if you actually have Teen Nick and can check it out, it's available now.

On the Plus side: every night has a different line up, and last night featured Rocko's Modern Life at 10 PM. And "Canned" was uncut and had the Phone Sex Line joke in it. And for those who like them, the game shows Double Dare and Legend of the Hidden Temple are coming up, I think Thursday.

On the negative: It's Time Shift programming, meaning the line up repeats itself, and therefore it's much shorter than it claims to be. And they still have *(&^%$ Rocket Power on there, probably at the expense of a far greater show that should be on in its stead.
I watched the first night. I haven't watched last night yet. I'll do that tonight. I was happy to see "You Can't Do That One Television" and "Welcome Freshmen" on there. Happy days are here again. Now we just need them to start doing old Nick Jr. Shows.

EUREEKA'S CASTLE!!!!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I find this block to be superior to The 90's Are All That specifically because of the inclusion of more shows and the daily rotation of the block. I wish they ran the whole night, but that's usually how these things go. It's great to see the programming Nick fans actually liked and on the regular as well. Still don't see why that certain show is still on there, but at least it's not monopolizing the weekend midnight slots.

CountXTeeth

Reaction score
Omg, Invader Zim! Can't believe I forgot about until 2007 when I re-became a HUGE fan of it again. Until 2009 until I got in to South Park.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Wow,can't believe You Can't Do That on TV and As Told By Ginger were on The Splat! This block is way better than The 90s are All That. I'm lovin' it :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I tried to do the Nick Or Treat thing but didn't get the call. I would have loved to have gotten some neat items. One guy got an autograph magazine. I don't know who autographed it but still cool.