Old Nickelodeon

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Ah, nostalgia!

Some of my earliest television memories are of old school (or old-old school) Nickelodeon. I remember sitting down in the basement of my family's old house, watching shows like Pinwheel, Today's Special, The Little Prince, Belle and Sebastian, Grimm's Fairytale Theater and Mysterious Cities of Gold. Now that I think on it, Nickelodeon was my very first exposure to anime.

-Kim

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some of my earliest television memories are of old school (or old-old school) Nickelodeon. I remember sitting down in the basement of my family's old house, watching shows like Pinwheel, Today's Special, The Little Prince, Belle and Sebastian, Grimm's Fairytale Theater and Mysterious Cities of Gold. Now that I think on it, Nickelodeon was my very first exposure to anime.

-Kim

And yet they refused to air the stuff now. I guess back when they were showing cheap dubbed reruns, it was okay....

Of course, I refer to the old 1970's and 80's business sense that took smaller animes and dubbed them because they were cheap... and then put them on low cost VHS's. I really hope "Time Fighters" never makes its way to the US and the original "Time Bokan" would get a shot instead. Ruining the Dorombo song with generic sounding cartoon music... that's not right. (I was gonna give you an example, but it seems it was removed)

I really think that was the logic at Nick at the time. That said, I wish they would have opted for something really great like Anpan Man or Doraemon instead.... never did like them Noozles.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I was never a huge fan of Nick. I loved their game shows though, like Double Dare, Figure it Out, Legends of the Hidden Temple...

I didnt like any of their live action series. The only nicktoons I did like were Ren and Stimpy, Doug, and Rugrats. I would watcch Angry Beavers if there was noithing else on.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I remember watching Looney Tunes on the old Nickelodeon.

zns

Reaction score
Some of the early issues of Muppet Magazine have advertisments for the old Nickelodeon, including info about certaain shows like "You Can't Do That On Television", "Mr. Wizard's World", and Stand-By: Lights, Camera, Action", which was hosted by Leonard Nemoy (is that how you spell his last name?). Some of these shows deserve to be put on DVD.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some of these shows deserve to be put on DVD.
A lot of stuff deserves to be on DVD... but it's usually up to the digression of the copyright holders. A lot of times these holders say, "ehhh... it's unprofitable" and toss it aside. Then there are the Batman cases, where the copyright is old, and split into 2 groups, and neither side can agree who holds it, and who should distribute it.

But yeah, these classics have every right to be on DVD right next to The Food/Travel channels weekly releases of their quickly forgotten shows... shows like "World's deadliest Grapenut Custard", "The 15 Most Beautiful Places in Peoria" and "Celebrity Chef doesn't actually cook and eats at various other restaurants you can't afford." Seriously, I check TVshowsondvd.com every single day, and it drives me mad.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Oh man, How could I have missed this! I love Angry Beavers and Rocko's Modern Life, two shows that are mentioned in this thread.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just found this old promo about the early Nicktoons. I don't remember seeing it before (this would have aired just before if not at the time I had gotten cable).

It provides a funny "take THAT" at USA's Cartoon Express. I had forgotten about that (how many people remember Cartoon Express?), though I did watch it a fair bit when I got cable (yeah, I keep saying that when I got cable I practically watched Nick all the time, yet somehow found time to watch Cartoon Express....).

It also feels weird to see Cartoon Express viewed as competition for the Nicktoons. Obviously, the Nicktoons have had longer-lasting success.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I just found this old promo about the early Nicktoons. I don't remember seeing it before (this would have aired just before if not at the time I had gotten cable).

It provides a funny "take THAT" at USA's Cartoon Express. I had forgotten about that (how many people remember Cartoon Express?), though I did watch it a fair bit when I got cable (yeah, I keep saying that when I got cable I practically watched Nick all the time, yet somehow found time to watch Cartoon Express....).

It also feels weird to see Cartoon Express viewed as competition for the Nicktoons. Obviously, the Nicktoons have had longer-lasting success.
Oh man. This is old. I kinda remember this but in a way I don't. Cool Find Minor Muppetz.