Old School Sesame Street Live (1980-1999)

SSLFan

Reaction score
http://www.flickr.com/photos/965454...-egwV5M-egwUYr-egCEKq-egCELm-egwVb2/lightbox/

Some cool photos from Sleeping Birdie in 1992 (wow 21 years ago lol). I had no idea they used the same curtain which was used for Let's Be Friends, yet also didn't know they used the same SS backdrop from early shows - I take it they didn't starting changing the SS set up until When I Grow Up in 1993.

Another thing I've noticed is crowd attendance was pretty packed back then compared to today's shows. Wish they'd get more packed houses these days compared to say, half a crowd.

cjd874

Reaction score
http://www.flickr.com/photos/965454...-egwV5M-egwUYr-egCEKq-egCELm-egwVb2/lightbox/

Some cool photos from Sleeping Birdie in 1992 (wow 21 years ago lol). I had no idea they used the same curtain which was used for Let's Be Friends, yet also didn't know they used the same SS backdrop from early shows - I take it they didn't starting changing the SS set up until When I Grow Up in 1993.

Another thing I've noticed is crowd attendance was pretty packed back then compared to today's shows. Wish they'd get more packed houses these days compared to say, half a crowd.
I didn't know the Amazing Mumford was in this production! This is the first time I've seen any kind of walk around/SS Live costume for him.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I didn't know the Amazing Mumford was in this production! This is the first time I've seen any kind of walk around/SS Live costume for him.

I saw Sleeping Birdie, but don't remember seeing Mumford in any of the few Sesame Street Live shows that I've seen (I also don't remember seeing any Honkers, one of which was in one of the pics), though according to Muppet Wiki he had an important part in the story.

I was looking at the various walk-around pages that Muppet Wiki has and saw that there was no page for the Amazing Mumford walk-around (I guess somebody needs to add one now that there's photos online). I saw that the wiki now has pictures of many walk-arounds from the 1980s which I didn't realize have surfaced, including most (if not all) of the characters who appear in the second show (including a big group photo).

I saw a color photo of the Gladys walk-around, and can't figure out how she could have been performed. I thought somebody once said she was a two-person costume, but with the way it's built I can't figure out how that could be done. And the front hoofs look really skinny. I wonder if she was performed similar to Barkley, the performer wearing stilts on his/her arms. And I saw that they got the coloring wrong for Gladys, as if they mistook the black-and-white cow for Gladys.

There's a picture of the Two-Headed Monster walk-around, but it's in the group photo, where we can't see a full-body image of them. I'd like to see it in full figure to try to figure out how they could have gotten two people inside (unless it was a puppet). If it was a costume it's probably need two extra legs (which reminds me that I used to think the Two-Headed Monster had four legs instead of two, and became confused when I saw full-body illustrations that depicted him with two legs).

SSLFan

Reaction score

VEE posted this photo on Facebook. Funny how time flies, right? The original 1-2-3...Imagine was my very first SSL show back in 1998. This pic definitely spells nostalgia for me, lol. Loving the original Rubber Duckie ship too, haha. And my girl Roxie Marie.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Baby Bear looks like a rat in that image.

SSLFan

Reaction score

Another throwback pic...Big Bird's Sunny Day Camp Out from 1999. The last original show to come out the "Classic" era. Still wondering why VEE never remounted this show though? :confused:

Baby Bear looks like a rat in that image.
Lol yeah those ears are crazy big. Glad they improved his walk-around in later years.

StarrFilter

Reaction score

Another throwback pic...Big Bird's Sunny Day Camp Out from 1999. The last original show to come out the "Classic" era. Still wondering why VEE never remounted this show though? :confused:

Lol yeah those ears are crazy big. Glad they improved his walk-around in later years.

Camp out was lame... Weak storyline... Just a fierce dance concert. The execs at VEE were not happy with how that show turned out

StarrFilter

Reaction score
I wonder if Vee Corporation or Sesame Workshop have ever had any of the live performances videotaped. I know portions (at least) were taped and put into the commercials, but it would be cool if there are tapes in existience of any of the performances, even if there were no plans to ever release them commercially. It would be cool if they could put out existing performances somehow, maybe online, downloadable, or on DVD. Hmm, now I'm hoping Sesame Street: Old School Volume 4 includes an '80s Sesame Street Live show (I imagine Vee owns the rights to the audio, though).
There are MULTIPLE video recordings of Every VEE show ever in the archives at VEE Corp :smile:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Throwback Thursday...and reason 1,526,362 why I miss my childhood. Remember those Big Bird (and Elmo) flashlights they sold at shows throughout the 90's? My first show my mom bought me a Big Bird one. Even though they're dated, I wish they'd bring them back, lol.

He even looks spiffy with his bow tie! Haha love it.

zns

Reaction score
I wonder if Sesame Workshop has any full show videos in their archives from some of the performances done in the 80's-90's. I would especially like to see how some of the original costumes look then, including the unusual ones they had in Big Bird's Super Spectacular Totally Amateur Show such as Gladys the Cow, Fred the Wonder Horse, and The Two-Headed Monster.