1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Old Segment - Making Crayons

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by BigBirdABCDEFGH, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I am sure some of you here may remember this segment, what the above link will take you to.

This takes place at the Crayola factory in Easton, PA. This segment would date from no earlier than 1979 and no later than 1984, going by the package design as well as the crayon wrapper design.

Why these two cutoff years? In 1978, Binney & Smith (Crayola LLC since 2007) had changed its corporate logo to the "serpentine" design we fondly remember on the Crayola crayon wrappers, and in 1985 the Crayola name changed to a bold typeset (although the crayon wrappers continued using the 1976 design through 1988).

http://www.crayoncollecting.com/BinneyCrayons.htm
    (shows all the Crayola crayon wrapper designs since 1903; the one represented in the video is of the 1976-88 period.)

http://www.crayoncollecting.com/Crayola17-48s037-054.htm
    (The second box from top left is the one shown in the video - just look at BS0243.)

~Ben
    MJTaylor likes this.
  2. mr3urious Well-Known Member

You know, that machine that packages the crayons looks exactly like the one used to package cigarettes! I wonder if they're really the same thing? :)
  3. Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I remember this clip. It was one of my favorites, I always got so excited when it came on. That's for the history about it..
  4. dwmckim Well-Known Member

As a kid, i was actually more fascinated by the girl and how blue her eyes were and how blond her hair was.
  5. dwmckim Well-Known Member

As a kid, i was actually more fascinated by the girl and how blue her eyes were and how blond her hair was.
  6. For those of you unfamiliar with the background music, there are two pieces of music heard, both penned by Richard Harvey: The first song heard is "Water Course (A)," and then "Exchange." Both pieces were originally recorded in 1974, released on the album "Richard Harvey's Nifty Digits."

The segment itself first aired on December 11, 1981, within episode #1590.

~Ben
    The Shoe Fairy likes this.
  7. mr3urious Well-Known Member

Here are the two songs in full!

Water Course A

Exchange
  8. I also want to point out this film segment re-appeared on episodes 2484 (1987-88 season) and 3937 (2001 season).

~Ben
  9. heralde Well-Known Member

Ah yes, this was always a fascinating thing to watch growing up, lol.
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

The full versions of these pieces sound much better when you get to hear them at length. Especially Water Course A. Very fanciful stuff.

This was a great little factory segment. I liked it more than the Sax one, and I think the ones with narration don't actually need the narration.
  11. tutter_fan Well-Known Member

I thought the music was incredible!
  12. The Shoe Fairy Active Member

I already knew about the two pieces of music - they're fantastic. Interesting info about where it was filmed. I always loved this clip, it seemed so fascinatingto me as a kid - I also love the whole look of the clip too, something about they way it was shot/lit.
  13. When I was in Kindergarden and our teacher asked us what we wanted to do when we grew up and she wrote it down, and I said crayon maker, because of this clip!!!:insatiable:
    heralde likes this.
  14. MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for the names of the musical pieces. I may have to check that out as I get fascinated with instrumental scores used in film and T.V. and have to find them to listen to.