Old Sesame Sketches

DonMusicFan

Reaction score
Hey there~

Anybody remember these sketches and exactly how they went?:

The first one involved a kid walking down the street repeating a shopping list to himself. Something about, "Loaf of Bread, Gallon of Milk, Stick of butter." Ringing any bells at all?

The other one just popped into my head the other day and I hardly remember anything about it. It involved somebody getting to a bridge of something and there was another person preventing him from passing. He had to take things out of a grocery bag to give to the guy to let him pass. I remember a giant cookie or something.

I know those are really vague--but I figure somebody has got to know them. And maybe even have them to trade. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Steve

Ziffel

Reaction score
I well remember the cartoon with the little girl going to the store for her mom to get a loaf of bread a container of milk and a stick of butter. This sketch was brought up recently and the complete details were posted:

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=18327&highlight=butter

I also recall the two trying to cross the narrow bridge going from opposite directions, but not as well. I don't remember specifically what they were (I think one might have been a bear). And there was a third party in one of the bags who settled their dispute (don't recall what type of creature he was. maybe a giant cookie that you mentioned?! Think it was some kind of animal.) Anyway, I think he suggests that they exchange their items and then walk back across the bridge so they can get their things over. The last line has the mediator saying, "I thought I'd never get across."
This one brings to mind one I am very familiar with from the 70's. There were two lines going across the screen, one horizontally and one vertically. They crash into each other at the middle and both cannot proceed any farther. I pretty much remember all the dialogue that follows:

Line 1: Hey! Why don't you watch where you're going!
Line 2: Me? What about you? I was here first!
Line 1: Out of my way man, I'm going that way and nobody's gonna stop me. (He points the direction he intends to go)
Line 2: Oh yeah? Well I'm going this way and nobody's gonna stop me. (He likewise points the direction he is headed).
Line 1: Oh yeah? Says who?
Line 2: Says me!
Then the two of them try hard to get past and keep bumping into each other. Eventually they tire themselves out and have to stop and catch their breath.
Line 1: You know, I got an idea.
Line 2: Oh yeah? What?
Line 1: Come over here and I'll tell you.
He then whispers his plan to him (Not sure why. Not like there was anyone else around and even if there were it doesn't exactly seem like it would be classified information!)
Line 2: Hey! That's a great idea. We'll cooperate.
Line 1: Right.
They then each take turns moving a space ahead, with the other one filling in a small gap of space that the other left until they are both passed each other.
Line 2: Great! Now I can get where I was going.
Line 1: And so can I.
Line 2: Thanks for helping out.
Line 1: Anytime.
Then they both move until they disappear from the screen.

Recall that one?
And I'm sure others will be more helpful with the specifics on that bridge one. I didn't see that one as much. I would guess that one is from the mid 70's, whereas the loaf of bread one and the line one I described definitely go back to at least the early 70's.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
actually he's talking about a whole different cartoon. this one is about a bridge keeper who wants people to do certain things before he passes. in this one he makes everyone eats things that are round before they cross and this man eats the food in his bag though claims he came to deliver the bridge keeper's groceries. but i do remember that other 1 you mentioned.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh okay, thanks for pointing that out. I definitely haven't seen that other one before (the bridgekeeper).
I rather enjoyed that one with the two lines. The sound effects were appealing. And it was classic SS doing one of their many hallmarks - showing how disputes between people (or lines!) can often be worked out by a simple willingness to discuss and cooperate.
Remember another one with a green anything muppet and a blue one where they worked together to get some fruit from a tree (I think the blue one was too short and I don't recall the limitation the green one had)? The blue one made a noise like "gop gop gop". At the end the blue one said, "Let's call this cooperation". (Perhaps these were supposed to be primitive or prehistoric muppets since they were creating a name to describe their working together).
Then I believe the green one said, "No, let's call it Shirley." Not totally sure if Shirley was the word that was used. That's what it always sounded like to me. I remember asking my parents once and they said maybe he said "sharing". That would fit better, but perhaps they did indeed use Shirley and were just closing the skit in a silly and humorous way.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i can't spell out the green monster but i know what is was and begins with G and the blue 1 voiced by Nelson was a Gonk and said Gonk not gop. now maybe you're right and i interpetted as Shirly but i wonder now if the green 1 said sharring?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty interesting cuz the green one had a rather high peculiar sounding voice so it seems like either Shirley or sharing could have been said.
"No, letch call it shirley (shering)." If I had to guess I would still go with Shirley, though. That's just what seemed to be the word I was hearing him say. If we ever get to see this skit again we can try to decipher it. :smile:
And oh yeah gonk comes back to me now. I think he might have got gonked on the head with a piece of fruit from the tree. No, that would be CONKED.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
you're pretty commical. of course now you mentioned it he did get hit.

Soul H

Reaction score
The Gonk getting conked on the head is pretty harsh for a Sesame street skit don't you think? I reckon that why they don't show it no more. But what do I know?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
actually he's talking about a whole different cartoon. this one is about a bridge keeper who wants people to do certain things before he passes. in this one he makes everyone eats things that are round before they cross and this man eats the food in his bag though claims he came to deliver the bridge keeper's groceries. but i do remember that other 1 you mentioned.
I remember the bridge keeper series. I just wish I could find more info on those on the web, since it has been years since I've seen those cartoons.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
i can't spell out the green monster but i know what is was and begins with G and the blue 1 voiced by Nelson was a Gonk and said Gonk not gop. now maybe you're right and i interpetted as Shirly but i wonder now if the green 1 said sharring?
I'm pretty sure he said "Shirley."