1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

OmniLab pulls funding from Power of the Dark Crystal

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by JMPrater, Feb 20, 2012.

1. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

Yes, Omnilab pulled their financial support and partnership with Henson on Power of the Dark Crystal, that's why the film stalled.

2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Sigh. The Henson Company keeps floundering between projects; dropping one just to pick up another. Then back and forth. Pick an idea and see it through. Come on! Fraggles, Skeksis, Happy Time Murders...
  3. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

I think we can all agree that The Jim Henson Company is a 'name only' representative of the Henson Legacy. At best they are laughable as a plausible creative studio.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Active Member

Hmmmmm....wonder what Jim would do or think?
  5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

They do some really creative things (Stuffed & Unstrung is amazing) and have a wealth of ideas, but they're missing a strong leader to shepherd them into being.
    Drtooth likes this.
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for years. They have the drive, they have the desire... they DON'T have leadership, focus, money and apparently not any connections either. Stuffed and Unstrung and their CGI kid's shows are the only thing they're running on. The Marvin Quasniki Presidential run stuff is GENIUS... but other than that, they just can't get anything right.

I've been saying "Focus on Happy Time Murders" so many times, I lost count. This is something they can handle on their own, recycle all old puppets that they've been using for Stuffed and Unstrung... simple, easy to make indie midnight movie, POTDC and FR will cost a small fortune to make, they need to go in with a partner, HTM doesn't need that upkeep. But of course, they have a HUGE list of projects for them to half finish or neglect. I wish they did more with the Skrumps at least. They could have built that up with a vynal figure line, like the idea originated from... but no.
  7. JMPrater

JMPrater Member

They need a studio partnership...like Disney, Fox, Dreamworks......some one who can bankroll the best of their ideas. Until that happens...nothing is gonna happen.

R.I.P Henson Company....it was a fun dream.
  8. geebuk

geebuk New Member

Any billionaires out there want to take up the position of bankroller???
  9. Drtooth

Too many things soured with Sony after Elmo in Grouchland, Muppets from Space and Buddy for me to want Henson to go back to them... even though they still continue to release the movies they own (and on Blu-Ray rerelease before Disner did any of theirs). Finding the perfect fit is almost impossible. I'd love to see Disney and Henson work together on Non-Disney/Muppet related projects. But other than that, there's no studio I really trust.

Happy Time is something they can do either by themselves or with the help of a smaller, indie film firm. FR and POTDC will take a LOT of money that studios have earmarked for buying up character licenses, and slapping together an unsatisfactory CGI kiddy film when the license is about to run out.

Seriously... Marmaduke gets made, FR and POTDC are in development purgatory indefinitely. No... seriously... a movie based on a comic strip that wasn't funny or relevant even when it was relevant gets a chance to be made. That alone should tell you what kind of market we have out there. Even Smurfs could have pandered to some 1980's fanboy market.... but Marmaduke? A movie based on a comic strip about a dog that just eats pies out of window sills?
  10. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Shock! Awe! Yawn.

I can't say anything more than what Dr. Tooth has stated already. Henson needs to aim lower before it can start with something like POTDC. I mean, Jim Henson started doing simple little commercials. All they need is clarity of vision.
    Speed Tracer likes this.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I have no doubt that Henson can get any one of these projects made. They just kind of need to pick one and follow it through. We know a successful Muppet movie can be made for $45 million and that the overseas market is just as important as the domestic box office. These films could easily be successful. My advice would be this:

A. Beg, borrow or steal to get the Fraggle Rock Movie made. There are so many musicians and artists who would love to lend something to the film that would help give it a strong opening weekend.
    B. Get people interested in the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth characters again by letting a game company develop an internet RPG with Jim Henson's extensive cast of creatures.
    C. Develop something for television, live action or puppetry, that has a chance of being network popular and not just niche . This would get the Henson name out there and relevant again.
    D. Create more YouTube content like the Marvin E. Quasniki for President campaign.
    E. Keep rolling out the graphic novels and comics.
    F. Once the Fraggle Movie opens it should be easier to make a Dark Crystal picture.

just my ideas. I don't see Henson Co. bouncing back to relevance without a firm strategy.
  12. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Oh yes, DARK CRYSTAL and LABYRINTH VIDEOGAMES ! With todays technology those would be awesome!
  13. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

*burst of inspiration*

Though I hate them (at least the demos I downloaded), a PERFECT fit for a Labyrinth video game (besides MMORPGs, regular RPGs, action, horror, etc) would be the LEGO themed ones.
  14. Drtooth

The graphic novels, while not my taste, got an unexpected audience of Teenagers that never actually saw the movies, but opened their eyes to them. Free Comic day, when they released the Free Dark Crystal comic, EVERY store I went to was completely out of them... and I went early... at noon when these places opened up! That show's there's interest. A video game would be the next logical step, because that's the biggest thing in entertainment media now. We're probably not going to get Ghostbusters 3, but we got all 4 original Ghostbusters to reprise their roles in a video game.

I could see a big scale online Warcraft like Dark Crystal game out there.

The Fraggle Movie's biggest hurdle is simple. The fact they were on HBO, and not as easily accessible as The Muppet Show or even Sesame Street meant that they're not as famous and high selling as the other two. So there is a reasonable doubt that a movie would pull in much money. But then again, Elmo in Grouchland was a fool proof idea, and it completely failed. Quality of the film aside, it's for 3 year olds.

Like I say every time, Henson desperately wants to bring Fraggle Rock out as their main family franchise. Other than DC and Labyrinth, it's their last big Jim era license. They wouldn't bother with comic books, overpriced, hard to find plush, and Taco Bell premiums if they didn't want to do something with it. But like I said, before we can have a Fraggle movie, let's get that Doozers cartoon out there. If nothing else, little kids will think it's a movie version of that.