1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

On Writing Fan Fiction (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Redsonga, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I noticed that there was no topic to just talk about our writing one way or another, so I decided to start one :). This should be better than trying to talk about writing things within our stories at least :).

So here people can talk about writing overall, rant about their stories, or ask questions about certain fanfics and get answers :excited:.

Rant: My newest flashback wants to be set to Moody Blues music. I love them, and I love 80's music, but it is funny how sometimes a scene wants to be set to a certain song no matter who the character is *lol*
    However, it does fit my one rule for fraggle fic: The songs must be from the 80's or earlier, unless it is a future or ending scene :3
  2. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Of course. This fits, given that FR is a product of the 80's.
  3. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Generalized rant: I tried so hard to complete my fic so I could study during the fall semester ... but now I've got a Dinosaurs story in my head and it's driving me nuts. I don't want to study. It's like an obsession. That's how the FIRST fic started! And look how long and drawn out THAT turned out to be....

(sigh) I need therapy.

The hardest part was writing the added SS stuff in my first fic. I've spent HOURS watching SS clips on youtube (particularly Grover-Waiter clips). I spent a long time watching Muppet Babies when I wrote Skeeter.

But the biggest rant was how I start off with a story that should have been done in 10 chapters (and was, kinda, since the different acts all started off as single fics) ... but grew into a narrative monster that burrowed into my head and ...

... just ...

... won't ...

go away....

I keep reading and re-reading it, coming up with plots to new fics based on some throw-away line I wrote.

I'm sorry if that came off as kinda sad: I can't help it. I feel the Muse burning a fire under me ... but if I get started on it now, my grades might suffer.

This stinks... :boo:
  4. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

You just need to manage your time.
  5. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

The sad thing is for many of us writing is that therapy, for better or worst :p.

It's weird that my one idea now wants a story set after Midnight Place to, to do with that pesty gorg crown and everything...When I actually have this thing against fanfics starring the children of main characters but...Hmmm..that is an idea, who says it always has to focus on them? I hardly ever see fics where the main characters are married and have children but the storyline is still focused on them (in something besides a family focused plot)...
  6. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

That's 'cause writing married--and with children--characters (Muppet-related or not) is often hard to do, for you want to keep the core personalities of the characters, but yet, must realize that when one becomes a parent, some attributes change.
  7. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Of course I know that silly (I actually know first hand what happens when you don't really change from some of my friends. They could win an award for being bad parents :sympathy: )
    but I also know that just because some things change does not mean the characters become boring (most of all if they were very parent or couple like to began with in canon) :excited:.
    For example, I don't see Boober changing all that much...
  8. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

But as with the real world, most fictional pairs do not start out together. Often, something draws them together, such as common ground, for instance.
  9. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

I just have a question on writing improvement. What could I do to make my fics enticing for the readers and attract more? I feel like maybe I need to work on my literary style and my titles but I often feel stuck.
  10. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Appeal to what the readers like, but yet, be true to yourself first.
  11. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, of course, but if they are lifelong friends it can be less of a jump :).

I can't really help with titles..I am one of those annoying authors where the title just bites me on the foot along with the story idea...I would say that the trick is to not work on a title so much as just let it come to you...
    But as far as writing itself goes, I just write what I would like read...While that can't please everyone, I find it draws in like minded readers :).
  12. WhiteRabbit

I'll just be blunt...I wish my fics weren't so...shortlived and ignored and forgettable. -_- *sulks*
  13. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Indeed. And most of 'em do start out as such, no matter whether they follow the "birds of a feather" or "opposites attract" cliches.
    Then you should promote them more! Get them out and into the public's eye!
  14. WhiteRabbit

I tried a couple of times but it didn't work and I feel kind of vain when I do. X_X
  15. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Well, in that instance, I wouldn't know what to say.
    Of course, for it's your work. But how else are you going to get it noticed?
  16. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, I have a couple of suggestions..I've only read a little of your work but:

1) Readers more than anything read fanfic to read more about their favorite characters. While characters you made yourself are fine and dandy it might be a good idea to no let them outshine the main characters, at least for a first fanfic. And if a OC is the star it is good to let the reader get to know them within the story. We can't see inside your head, we don't know that Mary once had a pet earthworm when she was five that made her love bugs, or has red hair down to her knees unless you show us within the story, not in a profile or picture that only older members would know about :)

and

2) Parodies are known for being short lived in every fandom I have ever been in. They get many replies in the beginning but afterward are quickly forgotten. Real staying power comes, I think, from writing the main characters as themselves rather than having them play roles. If the canon characters are really doing things as themselves it has more emotional impact IMHO :).

But that is just my two cents, don't mind me *hides*:o
    And the show within the story not a profile rant was more of an overall one about OCs I have, not really aimed at your fic ^.^
  17. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Indeed, for what works for Becky may not work for you, Ailie. However, it could not hurt to attempt new things for a change. XD
  18. WhiteRabbit

I know. I only made that story just so people would get to know my OC's charrie a little more--just an introduction. I didn't mean to make her be an attention sucker and I tried to give her less spotlight as the story progressed, even though it was supposed to be about her. Her shining moment really only happened in the end. I actually feel like I should have developed her more instead of rushing to work on the plot and all.

I totally get you. The Breakfast Club thing was just a fun idea. It's the other *canon* story that kind of disappointed me. =(
  19. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I could not really feel one way or another about her because I never felt like the story gave a clear picture of her within it..I still don't really know who she is or what she looked like honestly... and I tried to :(
  20. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I guess it depends on the level of detail one needs.