Once Upon My Heart.

green stuff

Reaction score
Hallo, Everyone. This is a story I've been writing for quite some time, and I have a lot of it done already, so I'll be able to post big chunks of the story at the one time. (And Lisa, I promise, I didn't do it intentionally, it's just a coincidence, I promise. If you read the story, you'll see what I mean.) Well, here it is, folks. Hope everyone likes it. Oh-by the way, this is my first fan-fic here, so please....be gentle...

Introduction
It had been five years since anything out of the ordinary had happened. Yes, they still saw each other on a regular basis, but not in the way that they had grown quite accustomed to. For the most part, they all still lived at the Boarding House, but some had moved out. To be more specific, for the past year or so Gonzo and Camilla had been residing in their own apartment (with personally installed sound proof walls for those days where he felt like trying out stunts at home, of course.) For a while, Fozzie tried to live the singled out apartment life, but he found it too lonely, and moved back in to the Boarding House. Much to everyone’s relief, the Electric Mayhem got their own place. This actually proved to be more of a disappointment for some, as I suppose some actually like being awakened by a synthesizer blasting or a crescendo on an electric guitar screaming through your walls. But you know how it is: different strokes for different folks. Kermit and Piggy had been married for almost five years, and now lived in their own house (as far away from the Boarding House as humanly possible, I might add) with Robin. Piggy was still leading a double career as an actress/model, and Kermit was mostly a director, but occasionally, a screenplay writer. Speaking of Robin, Robin was a teenager now, a senior at Valley High School, in fact. He worked at the Muppet Theatre for his Uncle Kermit -when there was work to be done, that is- and worked at a local convenience store on the weekends. When he wasn’t engaging in those activities, he was busy preparing himself for college. His plan A was to attend Danhurst College, the same college that his uncle and aunt attended in their college days. If anyone, Robin was quite the busy bee.
But the one who was even busier, of course, as always, was Kermit. See, Kermit thoroughly enjoyed being wrapped in the comfort and joy of having his ideal job, father-figuring, and marital bliss, but to him, something was off, quite off. The Muppets hadn’t been together, completely together for years. What had happened exactly was that they were all doing so well on what was once their show, that the demand became higher and higher for them to branch out and do movies again. So they did. But- for some reason, when they returned to the movies, not everybody was on board. Some wanted to get on with their lives and do other things. For some, this was their life, but they just wanted to do one or the other. Films, or the show, and not both. For some, going back to movies was a bad move, as it would mean that their services and talents would be needed less. So, needless to say, after a while, the number of Muppets who stuck around became fewer and fewer. Therefore, the Muppets, well, they kind of retired. From there, everybody went on to do their own things. (As I said, they all started to individuate and do their own things, Kermit and Piggy got married, Robin grew up, etc.) Particularly, Robin really missed it, though. The memories that he had acquired while working on the Muppet Show were some of the best he ever had. To say that whenever he would go to work at the Muppet Theatre without feeling a twinge of misery each time would be untrue, for now all their theatre was now was a sort of space used only for concerts and occasional community movie nights.. ‘There go all my hopes, my precious dreams,’ he thought.
Little did he know that Old Uncle Kermit was way ahead of him. He had missed the feeling he got while being crowded around everyone after a successful show, too. Although he often complained of how hectic things were when they all were around, as much as he’d hate to admit it, he much rather liked it when they all were around. So--Kermit was devising a plan. A plan to get them all back together. A plan to bring them out of their semi-retirement and renew their friendship once and for all. But--it was not going to be an easy plan. I t was a plan that called for many things, and on many peoples’ parts. Yes, it was a plan that called for something old, something new, something crazy, and yes, even some blues………..

Java

Reaction score
You seem to have a good start, but it's a little hard to read because of the lack of paragraphs. This may be driving some of the readers away.

I'm interested in seeing more though when you can post it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
As am I, interested to read some more. Perhaps a bit of cleaning with certain big words, but the general idea's there... Shining through like that bright star of theirs.
Rully intrigued... Intruged? *Barb at Lisa.
Hope to see references to other stories, or some of the old gang from Hensonville, if you decide to include that pack of crazies that is.
Post often, post when you can, but most importantly...

Post more soon! Or face the nagging that will suck you into our swirling black hole of fanfiction!

green stuff

Reaction score
Ok, sorry for the paragraphs thing:embarrassed: I'll try to be more careful with that. And as for more of the story, more is on the way soon, I promise. Wouldn't want to be nagged already....

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Well you're going to get nagged anyway! I like the story Greenstuff! I would really like to read more as well!

Java

Reaction score
Yes, please do post more when it's ready...

green stuff

Reaction score
Ok, here's chapter one. *so, please, everyone put those nagging sticks away*

Chapter 1
A gorgeous moonlit night, perfect for the rendezvous he had planned. It couldn’t have been better if he had planned it himself. Here he was, in the great outdoors, surrounded by trees and beautiful things. And speaking of beautiful things, there was an ever-so-gorgeous girl at his side. She had beautiful dark hair, with entrancing brown eyes, and an absolutely captivating smile. The left side of her face is completely covered by her hair, and the other side is completely bathed in moonshine. The two young lovers are running together in the woods, holding hands and laughing all the way. He looked over at her, and saw the beautiful curve that her mouth took whenever she opened it enough to laugh or smile. Just the sight of her smile was beautiful to him. Of course, like any other young person just starting out in the game of love, he was as nervous as a cat on a ferris wheel whenever he realized she was looking at him, too. He would blush, look away, even place his slender arms on top of his face, and force himself not to look at her. But he just couldn’t help it. She was just too beautiful not to look at. He gives her the biggest smile he can muster, as she gives him a devious, yet tender and longing look. This look all in itself made him want to melt into a steaming puddle of mush. No doubt about it. Young Robin the Frog was in love.

Robin and the girl looked up at the sky, straight past the moon and up at Robin’s star. Ever since he was a tadpole, Kermit had always told Robin that there was a star out there with his name on it, just as his grandmother had told him. Tonight, his star shined brighter than ever, shining down his destiny and happiness on him. He looks back over to the girl, and softly touches her cheek. She closes her eyes briefly, then opens them with an incredibly flirtatious look that said, ‘’ Kiss me, you know you want to.‘’ Luckily for Robin, this was all the prompting he needed. As he leans in to kiss her, Robin’s star explodes into a million pieces, lighting up the sky like a combination between fireworks and lightning. It happened with a thunderous boom sounding like an earthquake; perhaps even the end of the world itself. The sparks that were once Robin’s star flew up in the air, then fell down to the earth, turning into small balls of fire upon contact. Robin pushes the girl out the way as she screams, only to have the fireballs rain down on him instead. Screams of pain are heard from both of them,-then, there is complete darkness, and the dark-haired girl disappears forever. All he can hear now is her voice.
‘’Robin, Robin, you must go to him. You must Robin, you must. You have to- Robin…..Robin….Robin……..’’

Robin awoke with a start as he gasped for air and sat up. He wiped his face, only to find sweat mingling with tears on his face. Not surprisingly, he found himself shaky and nervous as he climbed out of bed, and searched for his uncle. Kermit had already heard of Robin’s strange dream, and he told Robin to tell him if he ever had it again. (That, and he just knew that Kermit had something to do with this dream.) He always knew what to do in these situations, and although Robin had outgrown the stage where he thought Kermit knew everything, he still confided in him to advise him on his problems.

As he searched for his uncle, a thousand thoughts swam through his head. Who was that girl? Why did his star blow up? And what did Kermit have to do with any of it? He just couldn’t figure it out. Luckily, at the moment, he didn’t want to. He just needed someone to talk to to calm his fears.
‘’Uncle Kermit?’’ Robin called, donning a T-shirt and making his way across the hall to his bedroom. He knocked first on the enormous white door, but with no reply. He knew that the hour was late, but normally there was some sort of reply when he knocked on the door. Figuring that they must both be asleep, he made his way back to his room, when he heard a single sleepy voice.

‘’Kermie?” Piggy cried out sleepily. She stirred a little, and managed to sit up a little. Robin opened the door to find Piggy searching through the dark for her husband. Robin blushed a little when he stepped through the doorway, only to have his aunt mistake him for his uncle.
‘’Um…no. It’s Robin, Aunt Piggy,’’ he said, shifting his weight nervously from one flipper to the other.

Piggy sat up fully now, turning on the lamp on the bedside table next to her.
‘’Oh Robbie,’’ she said, somewhat surprised by his presence.
‘’I’m sorry. I thought you were Kermit. You’re getting so tall and handsome now. You know, sometimes you look just like him.’’ Robin looked down, blushing at his aunt’s compliment. On top of that, it was gratifying to know that after all this time, Piggy still loved his uncle very much. She looked up to see the look of despair on her young nephew’s face, and her face grew serious with concern.

‘’Is everything all right, Robbie?’’ she asked with genuine care. She patted a spot on the bed next to her, beckoning for Robin to sit next to her. He accepted the invitation, and took a seat next to her.
‘’Yeah, it’s just that I’ve been having this weird dream, and I think it had something to do with Uncle Kermit.’’
‘’Kermie?’’ Piggy asked, her ears perking up a little at this.
‘’Well, yeah, I’ve been having a dream about this pretty girl with black hair, and my- she’s beautiful, and she keeps calling m- uh, never mind. This is silly. I’m sorry I bothered you.’’
‘’Oh no bother at all, sweetie, you can tell me. Please tell me.’’
‘’Aw, it’s nothing really, nothing to wake you up in the middle of the night for.’’
‘’But I’m glad you did, honey. You’re opening up to me. I like that - please tell me what’s been bothering you.’’
‘’It’s not really important, Aunt Piggy. It’s just a silly dream. Um…I guess I’ll be going back to bed now. Goodnight.’’
She watched her troubled nephew walk out the room, half with regret, and half with worry.
‘’Well, if you’re sure…’’ she said, uncertainty reigning in her voice. ‘’Goodnight, Robbie,’’ she said warmly, smiling. She was about to turn off the lamp, when,

‘’And Robbie?’’
He turned back lightly. ‘’Yes?’’
‘’Find that crazy uncle of yours, and tell him to come to bed.’’
At this, he let out a little giggle. ‘’I will Aunt Piggy. Goodnight.’’
He shut the door softly, and turned around to make his way down the opposite side of the hallway. He did his best to adjust his eyes to the darkness, but the further Robin moved down the hallway, the more it seemed like a dark, damp, dragon’s cave. Robin was about to conclude that he wasn’t in the kitchen, which was at the end of the hallway, when he saw an almost imaginary, yet faint light emanating from it. As he came closer, he heard Kermit’s unmistakable voice while he was speaking to someone on his personal cell phone-seemingly, in annoyance. Seeing him there really comforted Robin, and he let out a little sigh of relief to see him there. Robin loved his aunt to death, he really did; but- when it just boiled down to it, talking about this dream was kind of- a guy thing. (or a frog thing, whichever you prefer.) He hung in the doorway as he listened in on Kermit finishing his conversation.

‘’No, no Gonzo, for the last time, no more exploding fish! I mean-your burns haven’t even fully healed from the last time!’’
It was then that Robin felt himself let out a little giggle, and Kermit turned and smiled to see his nephew standing in the doorway of the kitchen. He lightly laughed himself, and motioned for him to sit down. He took a seat next to Kermit at the kitchen table, and tried to stifle his laughter.
‘’Listen, Gonzo, I gotta get going. It’s pretty late, and my wife’s probably noticed I’m not in bed by now…….Thanks, I will………….Yes, give my best to Camilla……….Yes, I’ll think about it, but no promises, ok?…………………I know, I know……………..Yes, yes……………You too. Goodnight, Gonzo.’’
Finally, Kermit hung up the phone with a slight snicker as he glanced at his nephew.

‘’And what are you doing up so late, young frog?’’ He tried his best to look serious and stern, but he knew that Robin always saw right through it. When it came down to it, Kermit was just a big softy; a teddy bear. (or in his case, a teddy frog.) Robin giggled boyishly as he moved a little closer to Kermit in his chair.
‘’I had that dream again, Uncle Kermit.’’
‘’Oh yeah?’’ Kermit said, Concern growing on his face. ‘’Well, do you think maybe this time, you figured something out about it?’’
‘’I don’t think so,’’ Robin admitted sadly. ‘’Every night, it’s the same thing. I’d like to think that it’s nothing, just a dream, but it just seems so real.’’
‘’And,’’ said Kermit softly, ‘’you’ve been having this dream for a long time. Grandma always told me if you have a dream more than three times, someone’s trying to tell you something.’’
‘’But Uncle Kermit, I don’t understand. What would someone be trying to tell me?’’
‘’Well, I don’t know Robin. Maybe we should try going to a dream interpreter.’’
‘’What’s that, Uncle Kermit?’’ Kermit paused for a second as he gathered his thoughts together to try to explain. Finally, he had it.
‘’Well, it’s kind of like a therapist, really. It’s someone you talk with about your dreams, and they try to help you understand what they mean. A lot of times, there’s symbols in your dreams that you don’t even realize.’’
‘’Symbols? Like what?’’
‘’Well, take this dark-haired girl for example. Maybe she represents something you want, or maybe a fear of some kind.’’ Robin nodded in his uncle’s insight and knowledge. That could very well be, it very well could.

‘’You know, I think I’ll call Brian in the morning. Mr. Henson used to see one all the time, you know.’’
‘’But Uncle Kermit- what if they can’t help me?’’
‘’Then we’ll just try something else, I guess. But for right now, I think we both better get back to bed.. Especially me.’’ they both giggled at this. ‘’Before your aunt starts calling for me.’’
As if on cue, Piggy poked her head out of the bedroom door, and called lightly for her husband.

‘’Kermieeee!’’ They both looked at each other, paused for a second, then exploded into laughter.
‘’I almost forgot,’’ said Robin through almost a tear. ‘’That was why I came here in the first place. To come and get you.’’ They both laughed a little harder at this, and Uncle and Nephew came closer and shared a hug.
Growing serious now, Kermit said, ‘’ But seriously, Robin, you’re going to be just fine. We’re going to figure out what this dreams means, you and I. I promise you, buddy.’’ At this, Robin, let a grin dance across his face. Kermit hadn’t called him buddy since he was a very, very young frog. To think that Kermit still thought of him sometimes as a little frog made him smile-both on the inside and the outside.

‘’You really promise?’’ he asked, looking at Kermit. By now, Robin was as tall as Kermit, and dare I say, even a little taller, so he didn’t look up at him anymore. But now, at this exact moment, Kermit could swear that he wasn’t looking at a seventeen year old Robin the Frog, but a wee two year old Robin, the one he fell in love with once he officially adopted him. He could see his sweet, adorable big eyes staring up him warmly, waiting for an answer from him. Kermit had to fight himself in two ways when he saw this look in Robin: he had to fight his urge to cry as well as the urge to scoop him up in his arms the way he used to and tell him everything was going to be fine. Instead of doing either, he simply sighed and placed a supportive hand on his nephew’s shoulder.
‘’I really promise. We’ll get to the bottom of this, no matter what.’’
‘’Oh thank you, Uncle Kermit!’’ and Robin rushed into another hug, only this one was much tighter than the first one. Kermit reciprocated, smoothing a warm hand over Robin’s back. It was moments like these that really astounded Kermit; no matter how old Robin got, he was never too old for a hug. It made him feel good; made him feel needed, and he liked it.
‘’Now off to bed with you, young frog,’’ he said, giving Robin’s back a slight tap. He looked back, giggling, and scurried off to bed, feeling much better. Before he was completely in his room, though, Robin turned back one more time.

‘’Hey Uncle Kermit?’’
‘’Hmm?’’
‘’What were you talking to Gonzo about?’’
Kermit lightly smiled at Robin, slightly regretting the fact that he taught him to be observant and not miss a thing.
‘’We’ll talk about that later. Right now, it’s time for bed.’’
It was then that Robin nodded satisfactorily and came the rest of the way in his room as the two exchanged their goodnights.

As Kermit watched him go, he couldn’t help but let out a little sigh. Robin was a lot of things to Kermit. Of course, he was his nephew, but he was also so much more than that. He was his solace, his sanity, his legacy; the son he never had. Sometimes, Kermit had a slip of the tongue, and even called Robin ‘’son.’’ Robin always corrected him, but secretly, he loved hearing him call him son. It was the warmest feeling in the world to him. But, what surprised Kermit the most about his nephew was that even after all these years, the only thing that had really changed about him was his height. Robin was still a ball of energy, full of questions, vibrant, and full of life. Inside, Kermit hoped to himself that that quality in Robin would never change, even when he got to be a funny, delightful, little old frog.

Still always asking questions, he thought to himself. Just then, his dreamy reverie was broken by his young wife calling for him again.
‘’Kermieee! Come to bed!’’ Kermit smiled to himself, reflecting on the fact that this happened every night. It was a kind of game that they played. The object of this game was to see who would come to who first. He would wait in the kitchen until she came. She would call and call until he came. Unfortunately, Kermit was a softy, and he always gave up the game to her. She never once came to the kitchen to get him; she always waited firmly at her station in the bedroom. Tonight, though, he wasn’t going to keep her waiting. He was happy, and he wanted to make her happy, too. He loosened his robe as he made his way down the hallway, smiling in ecstasy all the way there.
‘’Coming, Sweetheart.’’

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow... There's just so much here to hug...

The dream... Something Harry Potterish about that scene.
And then Robin talking to Piggy, showing her motherly/auntlike concern.

Kermit in the kitchen talking to Gonzo... Exploding fish, that made me giggle too.
Going to see Mr. Henson about the dream, hope he'll be of some help...
But the best part was how Kermit thought of Robin, that young frog still a young frog at heart and the only thing that changed about him was his height.

Good stuff here, keep it coming, we can take it!

Java

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this. You've definately got the Muppet spirit in your writing.

The dream and trying to figure out what it means...
The touching scene between Robin and Miss Piggy...
Oh, yes, the exploding fish had me giggling too...

There's so much here. I can't wait to see more!