1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

One thing that annoyed me in "The Muppets"

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by SSLFan, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

The big billboard didn't exactly annoy me, but it did pop me out of the reality of the movie for a moment. I saw it and thought "Yeah, Disney cross-promotion in action," then shrugged. I wouldn't have minded if it was a little subtler, but it was right there in my face. "HEY! CARS 2!!"

I don't know if most people, who aren't as aware of Disney's ties and such, would think this way, or would really notice the billboard, though.
  2. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Don't forget the NBC logo on Kermit's foot! LOL
  3. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Still the topic is about "The Muppets" and what annoyed us in the movie. I'm not saying the billboard annoyed me to the point I didnt love the movie and like I said I wasn't surprised at all when I saw it I just felt it was not needed. I was so into the movie the first time I saw it I never really picked up on it till the second time seeing it in the theater. So shows how much I actually cared? But now that I know it's in there it just pops out. But ehh whatever you only saw it for a split second. The last thing on my mind watching it was a Cars 2 billboard. Lol.
  4. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I must be really blind because I don't remember seeing a Cars 2 poster. Can anyone tell me where in the movie it is?
  5. Pinkflower7783

It's right after Kermit and Fozzie have their talk. Right before the scene where Piggy comes back.
  6. Pinkflower7783

I personally liked seeing the "Punch Teacher" one. At least that had to do with the film. :D
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  7. Walter

Walter Active Member

Actually, it was added in on purpose.. They admit it in this article..:laugh:

http://disney.go.com/disneyinsider/going-places-no-muppet-has-gone-before

8. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I really don't see the big deal about it. If anything, all it does is make the movie a tad dated...
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It could possibly be considering both of the Cars movies weren't necessarily Disney/Pixar's best, that they felt to have a Cars 2 posted hidden in the movie was too great an insult, or simply the idea of Disney having to cross-promote another project of theirs in a Muppet movie, I don't know.
  10. Pinkflower7783

The only thing that was a coincidence in that movie was the Jim Henson banner you see on the lamp post.
  11. D'Snowth

Actually, THAT was added digitally in post-production, it replaced a Shrek banner.
  12. Pinkflower7783

Not according to Jason Segal it wasn't.
  13. D'Snowth

Well, I saw the "behind-the-scenes" footage, showing how they composited those difference sequences digitally in post, they showed before and after, before had Shrek, after had Jim in its place.
  14. CaseytheMuppet

Wait, what behind the scenes footage? It sounds cool!
  15. D'Snowth

I'd have to look up the links again, but it was posted on Dailymotion.
  16. CaseytheMuppet

Oh, you don't have to go through all the trouble. I can look it up. Thanks!
  17. Pinkflower7783

Jason Segal said in an interview when they were in Australia the night they all sang "Happy Birthday" to him he looked up and saw the Jim Henson banner and he said it was pure coincidence because apparently they were having something in honor of him and that's just where they happened to be filming.

Skip to 7:00 mark. You'll even hear Kermit say it was a big coincidence.

18. D'Snowth

I'll tell you one thing about the movie that's far more annoying than a Cars 2 poster or anything like that: the fact that Segel isn't going to be involved with the sequel, suddenly, everyone's acting like it's a conspiracy theory.
  19. Pinkflower7783

I don't really care if Segal is in the next movie or not. Lol. I commend him for getting the film made and bringing the Muppets back but beyond that that's about it. Even in the movie I cared more about Kermit & Piggy's relationship then his and Mary's. :p
    Duke Remington likes this.
  20. D'Snowth

I just wish he came up with another name for Amy Adam's character, other than Mary... not only does it sound like he couldn't think of any names for his or her character (after all, what do writers refer to characters who contribute nothing to the plot, and just take up space - "Gary Stu" and "Mary Sue"), but there was already a human character named Mary from KSY.