1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

One thing that annoyed me in "The Muppets"

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by SSLFan, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Guess they wanted something that rhymed with Gary. Because ya know the more the "MARYIER." :o But in all seriousness at least for me they were just there. I mean I understand why they were in this particular movie however once they met up with Kermit I just sort of forgot about them until Gary forgets their anniversary dinner of course. *shrugs*
  2. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that was Segel's and Stoller's (and Bobin's) intent. Have Segel and Adams be the opening act, but not forget that it's a Muppet movie. Also, I think the fact that Adams' character is called "Mary" is meant to be a joke. Gary and Mary go together (figuratively and literally). Walter doesn't rhyme with either one. It's more of a Muppet name.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Only thing that annoyed me was that they couldn't find the extra minute to add the full version of the Tex Richman villain song. They cut out all the best parts of it. Not even just his motive. It's such a great song if listened to the full way, but it becomes almost a Big Lipped Alligator Moment without that extra verse.
    dwmckim likes this.
  4. Mo Frackle

Not to mention more of Walter's whistling (we get, what, one scene of that before his big finale?)
  5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

The fact that we saw them on Dancing With the (Fake) Stars before the movie came out, doing the finale, including Walter's whistling, was essentially a spoiler as to what he eventually discovered his talent was.
  6. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Might I note that the whistling thing just didn't work for me? I understand that they needed a talent for him to have, but whistling? I was basically bored through the whole whistling spot he did. And they basically ruined the chances of there being any more appearances with him where he whistles in a show or something...I mean, how many times can a character whistle before it gets old?
  7. Pinkflower7783

Maybe in the new film he'll discover he has a new talent? Like tap dancing. :p
  8. D'Snowth

You'd be surprised how much people like us take whistling for granted, Hubert... some people out there never can learn to do it.

Sure, almost anyone can simply whistle, but how many people can really whistle a complete song like that? In a sense, whistling is almost kind of like singing, and trust me, I doubt many people can whistle in some of the ways Walter was.
  9. Pinkflower7783

I personally loved the whistling number I thought it was very moving...but that's just me. I don't know if I'd call this an annoynace but I wish when Mary and Piggy did their duet of "Me Party" that they were actually singing it together in the same place. It would've been great for them to interact more considering they were both having trouble with the men in their life.
  10. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

You're not getting what I was saying...I know people can't whistle. I'm one of them. I can't whistle for the life of me. I'm not saying that Walter's talent wasn't a talent. It was. I know that. I'm getting at the fact that I think that whistling was a poor choice of a talent for them to give Walter, as he can't really take it too far in any future appearances he might make. One can only take so much whistling before it gets to "Oh gee, yet another whistling spot?"
  11. Pinkflower7783

Who said his talents are limited to whistling though? I'm sure along the way there will be more for him to do other then whistling. Might even cover it in the next movie.
  12. Mo Frackle

Adding on to that, like all Muppets, Walter's character is going to continue to develop over time.
  13. Pinkflower7783

Yep he's new member and like how ALL The Muppets started he will also develop his own character over time. :fanatic:
  14. D'Snowth

Do we even know that Walter is definitely a new permanent part of the group? For all we know, he could end up being a one-shot character made specifically for that movie. I mean, has anything been confirmed either way? I'm just curious.
  15. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Someone from whatever company said at sometime somewhere that Walter is staying. That's all I know
  16. Mo Frackle

Well, he did appear with the Muppets at Montreal, and will have a large role in the next Muppet movie, and I doubt Peter Linz's first Muppet character would just get the boot. Also, he seemed pretty well-liked by audiences who saw the first movie.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  17. Pinkflower7783

And wasn't he the first Muppet created under the Disney name? So I doubt Disney is gonna just kick him out like that. Plus he was in Montreal with them at the Just for Laughs thing. And right when they announced another Muppet movie was gonna be made Nicholas said he wasn't gonna just be a background character he was gonna be heavily involved.
  18. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Linz will be at Dragon*Con next week, so I'm sure he'll be asked at least a dozen times whether Walter will be a continuing character. I'll post what I learn.
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

They really should have done that... just have both Mary and Piggy just being fed up with their male counterparts and just singing it together backstage or something. it would have made more sense in context. But then again, the one thing everyone can agree on is how that musical number was almost pointless, and was only in the finished product because Amy fought for it.
  20. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member