1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

One thing that annoyed me in "The Muppets"

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by SSLFan, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Yes, I honestly don't give a frog who gets how many lines. I was merely correcting those saying "so and so said nothing in this movie". :p

Duke Remington likes this.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

If they were going for that, they might as well have just gone with a recording of "Can You Picture That." It really seems any major opportunities to give certain characters a bigger role, especially the band, would have been cut out to fit the 90 minute time frame. Something seems like they had a big number that got cut in a script rewrite or something. If anything, I think the film could have used a sequence where the band was trying to get Animal to go back to his crazy self to no avail.

Personally, I think the getting the gang back together/Travel by Map sequence would have been better if they didn't use "Cars" and rather used an instrumental version of "Movin' Right Along."

That said, I wonder... something tells me they wanted to really get the 80's montage reference, but they couldn't get the rights to "Put one Foot in front of the other."

Duke Remington likes this.
  3. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I was also a little bit annoyed that the Muppets were mostly portrayed as an 80's entertainment property. Even though they are evergreen, the 70's would have been a much more appropriate decade to highlight.

ElizaSchuyler likes this.
  4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I was gravely upset the Mutations didn't get any lines.

jvcarroll likes this.
  5. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Did you not read DrTooth's posts?

Besides, the Mutations never really spoke in a Muppet production anyway.

6. ToonGeek

ToonGeek Active Member

I was annoyed by the Paris scene where Kermit and Piggy are walking.

7. jvcarroll

I think Oscarfan was joking. :p

8. robodog

robodog Active Member

I'll give you that one. That would have been much worse than Cars 2.

9. Drtooth

I don't so much think the 80's theme had anything to do with the Muppets (except for the big break up after MTM being part of the plot... that was subsequently cut from the film and only known through the novelization), so much as it's basically author appeal. Jason seems to have been one of those 80's kids that wanted to throw a love of that era's films into the mix. After all, How I met Your Mother has a lot of 80's references in it. I'm actually surprised that there wasn't any Star Wars thrown into the mix, except for the Star Wars/Muppets Disneyland figurine set in the background.

Cars 2 was greenlighted by John Lassiter. Same John Lassiter tried like heck to prevent Gnomeo and Juliet to get made. Even the concept of the film was someone trying to make Toy Story with Midwestern Lawn Kitsch instead of toys. Disney didn't even want to release the movie (hence the Touchstone label) and only did so as a contractual obligation. Then it made money (!) during a dump month, and Disney actually likes it now, and we're getting a Gnome Sherlock Holmes B****rdization. Much worse than Mater being a Spy.

10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

If The Muppets (2011) had been made in the 90s I think the 70s would have been all over it, lol.

jvcarroll and ElizaSchuyler like this.
  11. Drtooth

Exactly.

Author Appeal.

heralde and ElizaSchuyler like this.
  12. jvcarroll

I liked the film and appreciate Jason Segel's efforts to get it made. However, it's based in Segel's nostalgia for the Muppets rather than the majority of fans' view of them. I believe that's why the 80's was celebrated in the film. Personally, I still see the Muppet Theatre as a tiny community playhouse in Brooklyn, NY, not the El Capitan on Holywood Blvd. :fanatic:

13. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

Here's one thing that annoyed me (that I recently found out). According to the Muppet Wiki, there was a shot filmed where John Krasinski and Sam the Eagle trade glances at the camera. As a fan of both The Office and Sam's hilarious looks, I would've LOVED to have seen this in the final film.

14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well after watching the first Muppet movie, and then watching the new one, I have found something that really bugs me. Everyone believed in Kermit, more importantly they believed in the dream. They all had good things going for them in there lives, and they dropped them all to follow Kermit and the Dream. In the new movie no one including Kermit believed in the dream any more. Kermit had to beg with Fozzie, Piggy and Gonzo before they would even think about going back to the show. I honestly do not think that the Muppets or even Kermit for that matter would loss his passion for the dream of making millions of people happy. I also don't think the Muppets would lose faith in Kermit, or the dream no matter what happened.

ElizaSchuyler and heralde like this.
  15. Drtooth

Again, that was the point.

I really wish they kept a longer cut of the movie. We lost the very important sequence with Kermit and Piggy's blow up, and that would have given the film some perspective.

Believing in a dream is one thing, maintaining it is another. Kermit lost his confidence when Piggy split, and Piggy was doing well on the outside without Kermit, but desperately wanted him back. The gang fell apart after that, and they had to find jobs of varying degrees of "well off" and "miserable." Had the film a happy tone throughout, it wouldn't have that extra punch.

16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I love the movie it just seemed that was off to me. now that you mention the cut of Piggy, and Kermit it makes more sense.

17. Beth C

Beth C Active Member

The only thing that annoyed me in the movie (the billboard didn't bother me at all) was the way they captured Jack Black. Yeesh.. come on Disney.. did you have to have Piggy land the way she did on him? Even for 2 seconds my only thoughts were.... well... NOT Disney related.

A flying karate kick would have been better that what they came up with. Really, Disney? Other than that one scene, I couldn't find anything else that super annoyed me. Now when that scene comes up, I have to look away.

18. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

It's not Disney's fault! :grouchy:

19. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Yeah, actually, that scene bothered me. Muppets and crotch-wallops don't mix, either Piggy's attack or the Swedish Chef's rolling pin.

Other than that, Muppet ninjas are a thing of beauty.

20. Drtooth

It's not a bad scene, certainly not as bad as the poorly dubbed Kung Fu movie joke in VMX, but something tells me they could have just cut that sequence and used that time for something else, while saying they kidnapped Jack.