1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

One thing that annoyed me in "The Muppets"

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by SSLFan, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Leave Disney Alone Please…. !
    Leave Disney alone!…right now!….I mean it.!

Anyone that has a problem with it you deal with me, because it is not well right now.

LEAVE IT ALONE!

Sorry, had to do it! :insatiable:

Bliffenstimmers and JimAndFrank like this.
  2. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

I hope you're not making fun of me.

3. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

No, I'm actually making fun of the "Leave Britney Alone" video. Sorry for the confusion. :)

4. Beth C

Beth C Active Member

Ok one more thing drives me crazy.. maybe it's because I can't figure it out. WHO owns the Muppet Theater and WHY was it being sold? Stadler and Waldorf can not own it, does Kermit? If so, WHY was he selling it? I'm so confused over it.

5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

One of the things they never explain... but then again, it's not so much a theater, so much as a movie studio.

6. Beth C

Beth C Active Member

It's a big part of the movie so you would think they would explain it better. I didn't know if it was in the novelization or something.

7. Sprocket77

Sprocket77 Member

The one thing that annoyed me in The Muppets were ALL OF THOSE FOURTH-WALL JOKES! There were way too many! Oh blah blah blah this is a movie so we need to tell the audience it's a movie even though they already now it's a movie--ENOUGH OF THE DANG FOURTH-WALL REFERENCES!

Sorry about that.

Bridget likes this.
  8. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Uh..breaking the fourth wall are the Muppets' specialty. It's something that goes way back to the date of The Muppet Movie, and this movie is kind of a homage to that one in a couple of ways.

I guess it kinda belongs to the Muppets in general. I look at it this way;
    Tex Richman knew about the oil under the Muppet theater in the first place. Now, since he hates the Muppets so much, he's no likely to knock on their door and do business with them, so he probably hired Statler & Waldorf to do the leg-work for him.

Kermit hears about the "Muppet Museum" offer and jumps at it. The gang has kinda moved on, and he'd like to pay homage to all of them. (Or whatever the reason is.)
    But Kermit probably had no idea about the expiring contract, and I have no idea if Kermit was planning to sell it to him.

While talking to Walter, he says "Y'know, Tex Richman is about to buy our Muppet Studio and turn it into a Muppet Museum!".
    I have no idea why Richman would purchase a property that will expire within the week anyway..and if he would give them the money, according to the contract, the Muppets still own it. :confused:

My brain just exploded.

9. Sprocket77

Sprocket77 Member

I know that. But I think this film went overboard with them.

10. Muppet fan 123

Not more than the Muppet Movie or The Great Muppet Caper. There wasn't too many in this one. It's what they do best.

Did you see any Muppet movie..like, ever? They all break the fourth wall. I agree, after a while it can be annoying in a way, that's why Muppets Take Manhattan is a nice break.

Drtooth likes this.
  11. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right. I got very annoyed of all of those jokes! "This is going to be a long movie..." and on and on. If you keep reminding me, I'll loose my imagination.

12. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I think breaking the fourth wall just has to be done well. I think the Muppet Movie, the whole idea of it being a movie within a movie was done well. There was also the part of the band having the screenplay which also worked really well.

In the Great Muppet Caper I can only think of a few times that they broke the fourth wall, but there again it was done well. I don't think they broke the fourth wall, in The Muppets Take Manhattan, but I could be wrong.

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  13. Sprocket77

Sprocket77 Member

I have seen the Muppet Movie but not Great Mupp...you know what, I'm done. I'm not going to argue with you right now.

14. Muppet fan 123

You expressed your opinion, I expressed mine. It's not an argument.

15. FraggleLover130

FraggleLover130 Active Member

Actually, I thought Selena Gomez was fine in that. I like Disney, but they sure do get under my skin sometimes. I don't mind too much, though. Yeah, product placement is annoying, but overall Disney's pretty cool. Besides, Cars II? That's such a lame idea, I don't know why they're even bothering.:smirk: Anyway, I love Disney, but I agree that they shouldn't be messing with the muppets. :cluck:

16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I don't think they did, MTM was more a straight forward film, rather than the "film within a film" joke.

17. dwayne1115

That is very true and I like that about that movie. it shows that they don't have to break the fourth wall to do a movie, or TV show.

18. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yeah and I think it works since we're really supposed to get wrapped up in the emotions of the characters.

19. dwayne1115

Yes and MTM was and still is one of the more emotional character driven movies they have made.

20. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I've said it before, but I've recently realized one of the reasons why I RULLY enjoy FTB, possibly moreso than most other Muppet movies, is that there's hardly any fourth-wall breaking, with the exception of Oscar's Grouch Anthem, and Count reading the credits.

The Muppets are known for not just breaking, but DESTROYING the fourth wall, but that's part of their humor, and it DOES work well, especially if you keep in mind Jim's idea that the characters aren't so much characters, but actors who just happen to be puppets, so when they break the fourth wall, and they do quite often, they do so in really clever ways that don't really talk down the audience or insult their intelligence, it really adds to fun and mayhem that the Muppets are all about.

However, for those rare occasions where a Muppet production contains very little to no fourth wall-breaking whatsoever like FTB, or the aforementioned MTM, it's a nice change and a nice treat, and like previously mention, it does allow you to invest more in the story itself as well as the emotion of what the characters are going through, so yeah. Fourth wall-breaking is almost a given in any Muppet production, but it is a nice change of pace when they forgo breaking the fourth wall on occasion.