One Way Street revised their puppet pattern

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
This is what happens when you type fast. The email address is ineeded puppets4gs@aol.com. I did actually mean to quote $15 but the "1" got left out. Oops :embarrassed:

At least I typed the phone number correctly! And I didn't know Marlene had a catalog.

FYI, the kit was about $35 Cdn (aprox. $25 US) last time I checked, but the price may have gone up since the US dollar has lost a lot of it's value in the past year. The best thing to do is call and verify prices.

Honestly though, the pattern and the kits from PFGS are pretty good. I know a lot of people who have used them in workshops and were very pleased. The Armslength Kits are probably a little more advanced, but they also cost more and many MCers have waited months to get them since David P. makes them up by hand. PFGS' kit is good place to start.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
Buck... one thing I couldn't figure out was after you glued the 2 halves of tumbles hands together how did you shape the fingers so they were smooth? did you sand them or something ? or did you put material over them like a glove or something? I couldnt see them up close enough to make out how they turned out so smooth and defined.
They end up smooth because you are gluing the sides of each half to the other. The foam at the edges of each half naturally press together and come out smooth. This only works with contact cement though. It won't turn out as nice with hot glue.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
They end up smooth because you are gluing the sides of each half to the other. The foam at the edges of each half naturally press together and come out smooth. This only works with contact cement though. It won't turn out as nice with hot glue.
OK I think I know what you mean. I'm giving it a shot. Gonna build a set of arms just like you showed in your tutorial tomarrow morning. I'd love very much for your constructive criticism when I post the picks if you dont mind and find the time. I'm also using the dowel rod arm thing you did too. Just bought all the materials I need to make 2 puppets tonight. Got my patterns cut and Im ready to go at it after a nights rest. This is my first attempt at a high(er) end puppet. I'm pretty excited!:excited: But I'm cool :cool:
PUPPETS FOR GOODNESS SAKE INC.
110 First Road West
Stoney Creek, ON L8J 2S6
905-573-6320 or toll free 1-888-300-1400
CANADIAN PRICE LIST Effective January 1, 2003
180 Puppet Making Kit, including material and pattern $37.00

181 Puppet making pattern only $15.00

182 Puppet making kit material only, without pattern $25.00

183 Completed Workshop Kit puppet $60.00

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
P.S.
Just my preference but I have never used hot glue on a puppet. Thanks so much for the tips. I'm trying to find those doll joints that puppet planet posted on her web tutorial for removable rod arms also. If I can find em I will make a pocket in the hands and make them just like she did more or less.

Ryan

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Actually, that (finally) went out today. I'll email you privately with details. Thanks for your patience!! :smile:
I didn't seem to get your email..mind resending it?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Ryan said:
I didn't seem to get your email..mind resending it?
Basically it was just that the puppet kit went out Friday. Grey Seal should be sending the other stuff directly to you. I still have no T-shirts.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
P.S.
I'm trying to find those doll joints that puppet planet posted on her web tutorial for removable rod arms also. If I can find em I will make a pocket in the hands and make them just like she did more or less.
Doll joints can be found at Walmart, Michaels, Joanns Fabric, and you'll hit the jackpot if you can find a wholesale craft supply store nearby (they usually sell them in bulk). Also, some areas may have specialty stores specifically for doll making craft.

Hope this helps!
-Michele

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
Doll joints can be found at Walmart, Michaels, Joanns Fabric, and you'll hit the jackpot if you can find a wholesale craft supply store nearby (they usually sell them in bulk). Also, some areas may have specialty stores specifically for doll making craft.

Hope this helps!
-Michele
struck out at JoAnn Fabrics and Walmart but maybe I'll find em at A.C.Moore AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! The smell of contact cement..........Kinda makes ya feeeeeel funnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyy HEHEHEHEEH

Show and Tell

Reaction score
well I found them at A.C. Moore and I have one hand almost finished. I still have to put the fabric on but this is so much FUN!!!!!!!! I'm Lovin it! Great tips! I even made the little pockets and hot glued the doll joints after setting them to the right depth I super glued them so they wouldnt continue to close any tighter and then I hot glued them into the little pockets I made for each hand. Then I contact cemented the hands together which are lined with twisted 26 gauge wire and put the loops in the fingertips just as Buck and puppet planet said. Then cemented the edges of the fingers and hands so as to get that rounded look per Buck's instructions. the pocket is just sticking out of the bottom of the palm of the hand so I can sew or glue it to the rest of the fleece that will go on the hand. It's looking good so far. I'm so impressed. Did I mention I'm having a great time with this?:excited:

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I don't remember where the post was but someone had posted a link to a picture of their puppet and it was a OWS adapted deign, They stated something about not being able to figure out what it was that was being asked of them in the instructions. Just wanted to let everyone know that although there are parts to the pattern I didn't quite understand myself, I was able to call Keann Brown, the director of the construction zone at OWS and she walked me through the parts that I didn't feel were clearly illustrated. They are very friendly there.