Open Source Puppetry Project

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
I know there have been a few attempts to put together some sort of a online puppet show with contributions from literally all over the world shot by the puppeteers who frequent this forum.

I also know that so far, it hasn't happened.

Well, I have a new proposal - Let's do an open source puppetry series.

Basically, someone designs a very simple, easy to build puppet and posts the design somewhere in cyberspace. (ala the Consumer Monster.) Everyone out there builds their own and shoots some dv. Edit it, and put in on the web (maybe over at Google?)

It'll be sort of like "Breakfast with Bear" or the Uncle Travelling Matt segments. Maybe have male and female characters with easy to duplicate voices. They could "travel" all around the world together or seperately and get into all sorts of hijinks.

What does everyone think?

(For an example for how this can work, check out Jenny Everywhere, an open-source comic character.)

Whoever posts a design for the puppets first gets to name them.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm not a builder and I'm not so sure how to make video for online (though I know people who could help me with that part) but I'm game for the idea. Certainly if you have more puppets on hand (no pun intended) you could have them interact with your own characters. I also like your traveling matt comparison. We could have these puppets do tours of local attractions (I've been wanting to film a video of the milwaukee art museum with my puppet group)

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Well I thought this was a great idea...but doesn't seem like a lot of interest.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
I hear ya. This thread has been viewed a bunch, but not too many takers.

Hmmm.

Well, maybe I can scare up a simple puppet pattern (or two.)

-- Scraps

MrsPepper

Reaction score
For the record, I think it's a really cool idea. If I could build puppets (which I doubt I could), I'd totally try to do it. Don't know how succesful I'd be... :stick_out_tongue:

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Well, the idea would be to create a very simple puppet pattern. Not something complex and heavily carved, covered in 12 different types of fur and fleece with eye mechs. I'm thinking Kermit the Frog simple. Two or three pieces of fabric that get sewn together and voila - it's the puppet.

And really, there can be some varience. Looking at "Jenny Everywhere" again, she is drawn differently from strip to strip. As long as there's some loosely logical reason why the same character would look different, I see know reason to adhere to a rigidly set pattern. (To quote Kevin Clash from the Muppet audition here in LA - "Have fun. It's puppetry, right?") Maybe the characters teleport to their next stop (Los Angeles, Memphis, Tel Aviv, Australia, etc.) and get a bit "tweaked" in the process? Maybe some sort of Dr. Who-esque regeneration occurs between episodes? Who knows?

-- Scraps

MGov

Reaction score
I would be interested in participating in this too.

Is it something we want to put together quickly or plan it out more thoroughly?

If we want to try it once quickly, see how we do, then we keep it simple. We could always make it more involved and do it again if we like the first results. Maybe we eventually pick out a pattern from our friends at Project Puppet, agree on the look and all make the same puppet from that pattern.

Anyway, count me in too!

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
The quicker and easier the better. I think this is the sort of thing that can evolve (and gain complexity) as it goes.

We maybe should lay down some ground rules, just so we're on the same page. Like, no profanity; avoiding the "three things you don't talk about in mixed company (sex, religion and politics)." That sort of thing. Anyone out there have any suggestions for parameters? They should be very loose guidelines.

I hadn't considered something like Project Puppet!

- Scraps

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Oh I'm so glad there are more people on board with this project. I just have to find someone to help me make the puppet and to help me with the filming for online and I'm good.