Opinions on Lets Plays Wanted

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been thinking about starting a Lets Play channel on youtube for a while now and I just wanted some of your opinions. Now, keep in mind this is not a definite thing. I have a lot of stuff going on in my life, but I want something to do in my free time.

1. Do you prefer audio commentaries or visual commentaries (like with annotations)? Or do you just want to see some gameplay videos of someone failing?
I could not possibly manage to talk the whole time I'm playing a game, and to be honest, I prefer lets players who don't. Which style would you prefer? Someone who talks the whole time, or talks sometimes while explaining key things about the game and reacting to it?

Another thing is that I do not think I have a good voice. I guess thats a matter of opinion though. My voice is kinda low for a girl. I am also from philly, and while I don't have a strong accent, I do say my "a"s naisily and harshly. Certain words like coffee is more like a hard CAWfee, you get it. Does voice/accent matter?

2. What games would you like to see?
I intent to play Atari 2600, GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, and Genesis/Mega drive games, and maybe some DOS games. I will plaything provided it is not an RPG or sports game since they are kinda boring to watch.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Text versus talk is up to you. If you feel voiced narration wouldn't work for various reasons, by all means make annotations. I think you can turn those off if you don't want them, whereas you're stuck with voiceovers. I've seen both types. Some are hilarious and others are cringe-worthy. One issue that crops up a lot in voiced commentaries is bad audio or crap going on in the background (I DON'T CARE IF SOMEONE IS MESSENGING YOU). I personally prefer commentaries of some sort if only because sometimes you are alerted to something you might not have picked up on playing by yourself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
First of all, I like to see these things labeled. Most of the time, I just want a clean playthrough, especially if it's a newer dialogue based game with specific cutscenes, and I wind up having to sort through all these videos with commentary that aren't labeled.

Just mentioning that.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I think you can turn those off if you don't want them, whereas you're stuck with voiceovers. I've seen both types. Some are hilarious and others are cringe-worthy.
Yes, that is very true. Sometimes I want to watch a video but I want to turn the person speaking off XD

One issue that crops up a lot in voiced commentaries is bad audio or crap going on in the background (I DON'T CARE IF SOMEONE IS MESSENGING YOU). I personally prefer commentaries of some sort if only because sometimes you are alerted to something you might not have picked up on playing by yourself.
Yeah, thats another fear I have. My laptops fan is obnoxiously loud when it turns on, and my fear is that in the middle of a video it will turn on and drown everything out. My roommate can hear it from across the room :embarrassed:

First of all, I like to see these things labeled. Most of the time, I just want a clean playthrough, especially if it's a newer dialogue based game with specific cutscenes, and I wind up having to sort through all these videos with commentary that aren't labeled.

Just mentioning that.
I completely agree. I intend to do that.

Also, I know someone will bring it up, but video quality is not a huge problem for me. I've played sonic while recording and aside from a few fragments floating around it runs pretty smooth with no flicker. Using sonic is a good way to test video quality :stick_out_tongue:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Ok, so I uploaded to videos with annotations. Someone tell me what you think. Link is in sig

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Aw I liked it when Nostalgia Critic did that, lol.
:smirk:

No one has suggested any games. I'm like already done my current one for We're back a Dinosaurs Tale (I have no idea why they changed the name). I just have to upload the videos (night time dorm internet is super slow :/) Pigs in Space?