Opus and Bloom Country is Back!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Ain't It Cool News is reporting that Berkeley Breathed's Opus the Penguin is returning to a new syndicated newspaper strip AND to a screen near you soon!

Breathed's popular strip Bloom Country ran through the 1980s and was spun off in 1989 to a Sunday-only strip featuring the same characters called "Outland" which ran until 1995 I believe.

Now fans of Opus can rejoin because Berkeley Breathed is launching a new Sunday-only Opus strip this fall! But the even bigger news is that he is writing and directing an Opus film for Dimension Films that should be in production by the end of the year.

Berkeley Breathed hasn't been slouching off the last few years either. Opus has been adapted for childrens books, a touring black light puppet show by Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia (it's pretty neat - I saw it two years ago) and I believe he does speaking/reading engagements too.

For the full story visit http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15965.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Oh, that's cool! I wonder if they'll be running it in our paper. Bloom County was a good comic strip. It was my thesis director's favorite strip ever! :wink:
Erin

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
It's times like this that make you think about what's important in life.

*pulls on the elastic of underwear and looks inside*

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
LOL! Forgot about that...

Thanks for posting this news, Buck! I carried it and your information on the puppet show over to the Mid-South Cartoonists Association website forum.

Crazy Harry said:
So, Crazy Harry, what'd you find?

Bill the Cat??? :eek:

Lu775

Reaction score
Crazy Harry said:
It's times like this that make you think about what's important in life.

*peers over Harry's shoulder*
Wow!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
BTW, a cartoonist friend of mine (who is syndicated) had this to say:

"Breathed was a surprise guest speaker in San Francisco at the National Cartoonist Society's Reuben Awards. He announced then that he was done with his Hollywood stint and was regretting having gotten out of comicstripping.

Everyone in the audience who was trying to launch a feature sighed and kissed their children's college funds goodbye. Any syndicate there would offer him whatever he asked for.

If Breathed wanted back in, we all knew we were sunk.

So here we are and the other shoe has dropped."

Wow, huh?