Original Promotional Campaigns

superboober

Reaction score
Did anyone here catch HBO's original promotions for the series before it began? If so, how did they go about hyping it? :excited:

Foodie

Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing this sort of thing too. I didn't have HBO until '86. :smirk:

Nick

zeldazipple

Reaction score
yeah same here. Mu mym wouldn't allow HBO in the house. It was my older brother who got it when I was 11. lol So .. yeah I wouldn't mind seeing this either.

superboober

Reaction score
There's a clip of HBO's main campaign from 1983 ("There's No Place Like HBO") on YouTube that has some footage that probably would count as an original promo; about halfway through it we get a shot of several children watching it on TV (it's a little hard to make out from the distance the set is from our viewpoint in the shot, but you can see Gobo and another character I can't positively identify walking down the tunnel from Doc's workshop), followed by the characters' identification shot from the opening run backwards ("We're Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Red."--but for this shot we go from Red to Gobo). It should be on either the first or second page if you type HBO into the search bar on top of the page.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a promotional booklet from 1982 that a teacher gave me at the time. I guess they were trying to promote the show to educators. This was months before the show premiered. It included a synopsis of the series, episode guide for about half of the first season, teaching activities and stuff like that.

It may have been the same thing mentioned above, but I remember seeing an HBO promotional feature on Fraggle Rock around the same time. They aired background info on the show and how the premiere went through different testing phases with groups of kids to see how they reacted. It was probably a 10-15 minute behind-the-scenes type of thing that HBO showed in between programs.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
jacobsnchz said:
Are they gonna put "F.R." back on TV?
Season one is currently available on DVD, you can also buy sets of three or a few individual episodes. Season Two is available on September fifth. But as far as I know, there are no plans to bring it back to television.