Original "Rubber Duckie" on today's Sesame Street

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Speaking of the original Rubber Duckie, in The Muppet's: A Celebration of Thirty Years, there is a clip of a verison of the song that I haven't seen anywhere else. It has Ernie singing, but instead of a blue background, it looked like the regular living room set is used, and I think the Rubber Duckie made quacks instead of squeaks. Is this actually the original version, or is the one with the blue background the original version?

That was actually the Rubber Duckie skit from the pilot of Sesame Street that was never aired, but they did air that original Rubber Duckie skit on the show a few times during the 1980's, and mabye even before that. It's strange how they aired this, and it was even older than the very first show.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I didn't know that, I've got to see that one. Has anybody seen the new version of the song "ola".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When you say it is from the pilot, do you mean one of the test pilots that failed, or something else? Do you know if it was ever shown in the first season?

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
It is from the original Test Pilots that failed. Im not sure if it was ever shown in the first season, but it was brought back a few times in the 80's. I think when it was shown on That Muppet 30 year Special in 1986, is when they brought it back to the show for a few times.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Tell me if you find one!

BEAR said:
I thought you were gonna ask if they use the original Rubber Duckie prop today. I'd like to know that too.:stick_out_tongue:
You know, I have looked for a rubber duck that matches Ernies for years now, and I have never been able to find one that is identical. Either SS has put a sort of "copy right" on it, or it was simply a one of a kind from the start. But I have never seen a rubber duckie with its head turned like that in all the years I've looked.:sympathy:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I dont know if thet is the original rubber duckie that thay use in the show, but, but I heard somewhere that the file cabinet with Erine has a plastic bag full of rubber duckie's in it. Also, I wonder if the squeeking sound is real or an effect. If is is real, then I think the sound would have probably stopped working by now on the original duckie.

But if that is so then the sound could very well be a sound effect. Maybe it
really squeks during non scripited parts (talking with kids segments) , but is added on later in scripted parts to enhance the sound( Journie to Ernie).

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I didn't know that, I've got to see that one. Has anybody seen the new version of the song "ola".
I don't speak Spanish as a rule so I may be wrong, but I believe the word is spelled hola. (the h is silent)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have read that on all audio recordings where Rubber Duckie was squeeked, Jeff Moss squeeked the same rubber duckie.