Original Sir Didymus from Labyrinth restored...

Tom Morrow

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've just finished up work on another Henson related restoration project - an original Sir Didymus puppet head from Labyrinth.

I've pasted a before and after below... additional pics and info can be seen on my site as the Nov. 21st news entry - http://www.TomSpinaDesigns.com

The approach on this was to keep the piece as "original" as possible... as always keeping the repairs visually consistent with the unrepaired areas and the overall age and "feel" of the piece.

For instance, the nose was somewhat flattened over time. It had gotten very hard and one side had collapsed. Rather than remove it and create a new one (which would've made for a more accurate finish), we balanced it out, building up the collapsed side to better match the "good" one, making it much more visually appealing, but still very much original. (the 3/4 and profile shots on my site better show the final result on that)

Additionally, the lips were rebuilt, matching the existing bits, and the eyelids rebuilt, again, keeping as much of what was originally there intact as possible. The snout repair was the most challenging because of the flocking but that turned out quite well. Additionally, some internal repairs were made, and crumbling (and mushy!) reticulated foam was all removed and a custom insert made to support it for display.

Overall, I'm really happy with the outcome (as is the client... this is going into the private collection over at Propstore.com)

hope you enjoy the pics!

Tom

BEFORE

AFTER

Other pics can be seen in the "RESTORATION" section of my site...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Beautiful work! I always liked this character (eyepatches are cool on Muppets). :wink:

How much care would such a puppet need from now on in order to keep it in such great shape?

Luke

Reaction score
Amazing, Amazing work, Well done! Loved the Gremlin as well

Laszlo

Reaction score
Wow! Really beautifull!
I had the chance to photograph the original puppet many years ago. I must say you did an excellent job!
How much does a restauration like this cost?
I would love to own a Dydimus puppet...

Tom Morrow

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, folks!

In terms of "care" this sort of piece should be displayed but not handled much (which probably goes without saying). An acrylic case helps keep dust and fingers away. As long as it's kept from sunlight and harsh temp/humidity swings, it should hold up fairly well.

As for the cost of this sort of work, it must be considered on a case by case basis. Each piece presents unique challenges and I try to tailor my work to the needs of the piece, the age of the piece and the client's wishes... carefully balancing restoration and trying not to "go too far" with the work.

If anyone's got a foam latex movie prop or other creature mask or prop in need, please don't hesitate to visit my site at www.TomSpinaDesigns.com or drop me a line.

Tom