Oscar at Pete Seeger's 90th Birthday Concert!

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Oscar and Tom Chapin (Harry's brother) performed the song "Garbage" at the Clearwater Concert at Madison Square Garden tonight in celebration of Pete Seeger's 90th birthday. It was a total surprise, as Oscar was not listed in the program. And I got to meet Caroll & Deb afterwards. :wisdom:

the whole concert with its all-star lineup was pretty cool, and Pete Seeger was absolutely amazing and inspiring. but was also really great in the finale & encore to see Caroll with Oscar singing on stage with Pete Seeger, Bruce Springsteen, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Dave Mathews, Bela Fleck, Kris Kristofferson, Emmy Lou Harris, Ani Difranco, Tom Morello, etc. Caroll should get that kind of recognition as a performer more often.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Way cool! Thanks for letting us know about this. Please tell me that somebody taped this concert!

There is a photo of the event on Getty Images that I can't link to, but it should be found if you do a search for the concert.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Of course it was Caroll--and he was on stage with Oscar with everyone else for the finale & encores. Pete Seeger popularized the song "Garbage," and later recorded it with Oscar on the Pete Seeger and Brother Kirk Visit Sesame Street album back in the 70s. it was such a nice surprise to go to an amazing concert to see the people on the bill, and end up ALSO seeing Caroll perform Oscar and get to meet him afterwards. Between the bird and the grouch, Caroll has probably sung as many of my favorite songs as Pete has, so it was nice to see him sing with everyone. And yes, they taped it, and as far as I know it will be on PBS Great Performances sometime later this summer.

sesameguy

Reaction score
I just wanted to alert everyone that Pete Seeger's birthday concert is airing this week on many PBS stations. It's on Wednesday night here- please check your local listings for when it will be shown in your area.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I heard about this on CBS Sunday Morning! :big_grin:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I watched it and I liked Oscar's part, although he was kid of underused, just saying "Garbage" and tossing trash from his can. And I really dislike the puppet they used for it. I'm assuming it's the one they use when they go outside the studio, but it just looks odd.