Oscar the Grouch Material?

BJC899

Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering what material, Oscar's "fur" is made out of. I really want to make a puppet, and I need to find out what he is made out of, and where I can buy it. Does anyone know any places I can buy something simular to what Oscar was made out of, online?

Thanks!
:grouchy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BJC899 said:
Hey,

I was wondering what material, Oscar's "fur" is made out of. I really want to make a puppet, and I need to find out what he is made out of, and where I can buy it. Does anyone know any places I can buy something simular to what Oscar was made out of, online?

Thanks!
:grouchy:
Well, let me think: I don't know what his fur's made out of today, but the first Orange Oscar, his fur was made out of a bath rug. At least that's what Caroll Spinney said in his book.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
*Giggle* talk about bottom of the barrel desperation for the "perfect" fabric and texture! :stick_out_tongue:

Actually, it does take quite a bit of imagination to picture a puppets construction from a simple rug. :wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I would imagine it is some sort of shag green fur, probably "streaked" with some sort of black paint or dye. Just a guess.

BJC899

Reaction score
Do you think there is any fabric you can buy in a roll?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It is probably (or something very similar) but it is harder and harder to find decent shag furs these days.

Miss_Beaker

Reaction score
I've seen that sort of stuff in several different fabric shops. Whereabouts do you live BJC?

officermom

Reaction score
While shopping this weekend, I came upon an interesting option for Oscar material.

IKEA has a bolster pillow (pure foam, of course) cover which is an interesting mottled green shaggy fur. Check the kids' section.

Also, my local JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts currently has an interesting selection of lower-priced furs which just might fit the bill.

Hope this helps!

--Melissa

BorkBork

Reaction score
officermom said:
While shopping this weekend, I came upon an interesting option for Oscar material.

IKEA has a bolster pillow (pure foam, of course) cover which is an interesting mottled green shaggy fur. Check the kids' section.

Also, my local JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts currently has an interesting selection of lower-priced furs which just might fit the bill.

Hope this helps!

--Melissa
(not for Oscar, but...)
While talkin about IKEA (yaaay sweden!!), about 2 years ago i bought feet for my sofa. They were rubber feet that was flocked and if they still have them, and if they have them in the us go buy them, they work excellent for puppet feet. I got a pair that was green with claws, hehe, like birdsfeet.