Oscars & Jerry Juhl

David French

Reaction score
Is it just me or was anyone else disappointed that Jerry Juhl was omitted from the In Memoriam section of the Oscars? While he is mostly remembered for his TV work, he did co-write the screenplays for the various Muppet Movies and should have been recognaised as such.

BEAR

Reaction score
I noticed this too and was both shocked and dissapointed. I guess we will have to wait for the Emmys to see his tribute.

wes

Reaction score
now that you say it yeah, they didn't:grouchy: :smirk: :cry:

MGov

Reaction score
The Academy Awards in Memoriam generally only includes members of the Academy.

I'm sure Jerry Juhl will be in the Emmy Awards in memoriam.

BEAR

Reaction score
They didn't include Don Knotts either, but I assume it is only because he died too recently that they didn't have a chance to include him in it. Same thing happened with Gene Siskel.

MGov

Reaction score
Again, membership has its priveliges. Don Knotts probably wasn't a member. I know Gene Siskel wasn't and that was the reason he wasn't included.

From the Academy website:

Candidates for Academy membership are normally proposed by members and then considered by committees made up of prominent representatives of each of the organization’s fourteen branches — art directors, executives, film editors, etc. In addition, individuals nominated for Academy Awards, if not already members of the organization, are automatically considered by the appropriate committees, though not necessarily invited to membership.

BEAR

Reaction score
MGov said:
Again, membership has its priveliges. Don Knotts probably wasn't a member. I know Gene Siskel wasn't and that was the reason he wasn't included.

I don't see why Siskel wasn't a member. Him and Roger Ebert are two of the top Hollywood film critics. Well, even though he wasn't included in the montage, host Whoopi Goldberg acknowledged him that evening anyway.

MGov

Reaction score
Siskel didn't like the Academy. He once said that critics should pick the Oscars because at least they'd seen all the movies, unlike many Academy members.