Oscar's Sloppy Jalopy

10Cakes

Reaction score
I have a few questions about Oscar's Sloppy Jalopy (the taxi-cab version we normally see on the show, not the old black one from Follow That Bird.)

First of all, is this car based on an actual car model, like a Ford Falcon, Chevy Corvette, etc., or was it a car that was randomly built for Sesame Street? If it was an actual car model, it was obviously customized to look like something that only Oscar would like.

Also, does anyone know how it operated, or how Oscar was able to "operate"it?I have some theories as to how it may have been done. Unfortunately, I've never seen the few episodes where the contents of the hood are shown, but I do think it has an engine. One theory was that Oscar was controlled remotely, with some motors and robotics. The only other way i could envisualize was someone (probably Carroll) manually operating Oscar's body from below the seat (that would've been EXTREMELY uncomfortable for anyone!) I have a feeling that the remote control theory is right, especially since I've seen the car fully loaded, but it might even be a combination of the two, who knows...

What I do know is that they did one heck of a good job with making it look like a sloppy jalopy, and the sound effects are also great. If any of you can provide any info, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Sincerely,

10Cakes

10Cakes

Reaction score
Oh ok I had a feeling it was a Beetle, since it does look like one. I think it does have an engine, since Maria and Luis drive it when they go on their honeymoon (episode #2486). The engine might be controlled remotely as well as in the car, unless Oscar's legs are able to reach the pedals.

I think that my theory of Oscar being controlled remotely while in the car is right, since in the SS Special "Put Down the Duckie", Oscar is seen in his jalopy, along with the Count, Grundgetta, and some other Grouch.

Thanks for your help!