Oscar's trash can and lid

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread about Oscar's trash can and trash can lid. As we know, Oscar is often inside his trash can, and the can seems to be bigger on the inside than the outside.

On the show, Oscar's lid is often hinged up when Oscar sticks his head out. In a recent article at The Muppet Mindset, it was revealed that the reason Oscar wears his trash can lid as a hat in illustrations is because the illustrators thought it would look like a halo if drawn hinged-up. Joe Mathieu had provided some info on the situation in a letter posted in that article, but wasn't sure when Oscar's lid was first worn as a hat. I recently saw that Oscar wore his lid as a hat on the cover of the second issue of Sesame Street magazine.

Beginning in season three of Sesame Street, Oscar cut holes in the bottom of his trash can so he could travel with the trash can (though there are many times when characters carry the trash can, legs seemingly not sticking out... Though in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street they do stick out when the can is being held). Oscar hasn't traveled this way on the show in a long time, but he does continue to walk this way in Sesame Street Live.

When traveling that way, the lid is closed (only opening when the can sits down). I don't know if there was a way for the person inside the trash can to see where he was going in these instances. I also wonder why this was done; was it due to Oscar's shortness or possibly difficult for the can lid to be hinged up when walking? In books when Oscar travels with his can his legs come out the bottom but his head is also seen coming out from the top.

Whenever Bruno carries Oscar's trash can, the lid hangs from the side. I guess if it were hinged this way it might block Bruno's face. Sure, the lid could open from the side (or Bruno could hold the can from the side... or whatever), but with the trash can being carried the lid very well could fall shut unintentionally.

But Oscar has often been seen outside the trash can many times. It seems to me like Oscar was rarely seen outside the can in early seasons (except for Muppet inserts taking place away from the street). But at least since the 1980s Oscar has often been seen outside the trash can, sometimes merely being seen behind the trash can (sometimes so Fluffy can stick her nose out of the trash can).

Though I just recently saw the cover of the book "My Day on Sesame Street". And it looks like Oscar is drawn with his lid being up instead of like a hat on that cover, in illustrated form (shown from a side angle, and not fully up). Likewise I've seen photos of Oscar wearing the lid like a hat. Most of these cases look like photoshop jobs (even the original cover of Getting Ready to Read, which was released long before photoshop and digital editing was common).