Over the Garden Wall impressions

mr3urious

Reaction score
This is a new Cartoon Network miniseries created by former Flapjack and Adventure Time writer Patrick McHale about two brothers trying to find their way home through a mysterious and creepy forest. It's an interesting little series with its Studio Ghibli-esque tone and the humorous dynamic between the two boys. It's also nice to see Christopher Lloyd is in something good for once. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
As opposed to what... His role from two years ago in R. L. Stine's The Haunting Hour Season 3 premiere two-part episode, Grampires? And if you saw/remember that two-part episode, consider yourself one of the lucky ones because it hasn't been repeated since it first aired.

Forgot about this mini-series starting up last night, will try to catch it tonight, but I'm not too worried because CN will probably repeat all five episodes in marathon fashion. Gotta say, I like there's something remotely Halloweenish/autumnish on air now, what with every channel starting the two-month long campaign of shoving Christmas down our throats. :grouchy:

mr3urious

Reaction score
As opposed to what... His role from two years ago in R. L. Stine's The Haunting Hour Season 3 premiere two-part episode, Grampires? And if you saw/remember that two-part episode, consider yourself one of the lucky ones because it hasn't been repeated since it first aired.
I was thinking more Foodfight, actually.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Studio Ghibli when it came to the art style. It's like a mix of that, Moomins, and late 30's/early 40's American animation. I swear the Highwayman's song was a reference to those old Rotoscoped Cab Calloway numbers from Betty Boop cartoons.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Studio Ghibli when it came to the art style. It's like a mix of that, Moomins, and late 30's/early 40's American animation. I swear the Highwayman's song was a reference to those old Rotoscoped Cab Calloway numbers from Betty Boop cartoons.
The style of the boys looks a lot like Animal Crossing, Greg (the younger one) especially.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know something? I've seen a lot of cartoons attempt stylistic parodies of 1930's/early 40's cartoons, but I have never seen anyone completely nail the look until the dream episode of this series.

It managed to capture the elusive substantial essence of Windsor McCay, Fleischers, and Harmon and Ising right down to the artistic details. This series has a LOT of inspirations from here and there, but no more has the old school animation one shined through than that sequence. It had elements of Somewhere in Dreamland and BalloonLand...even that awful Jack Frost cartoon. if you took the right frames out of it and put a filter on those pictures, you could fool someone into thinking it was an authentic 30's short.

This cartoon is the most visually stunning 2-D tradigitally animated shows I've seen in years. Seriously, they could trim off the chapter titles and edit the entire thing together as a single movie and release it theatrically. I almost want them to.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The penultimate episode had a great twist to it, so there are spoilers ahead (I can't get the dang text to change colors for some reason :mad:)!

The boys were from the modern day (or at least the 1980s going by the boxy car designs and Wirt's use of cassettes) and their clothes were just Halloween costumes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm trying to see if I liked that twist or not. Seems that it has one of those...

...it was all a dream, or was it type endings that leaves it ambiguous. I dig it and all, and it is impossible that both Wirt and his brother had the same exact dream.