1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Over twenty Muppets donated to Smithsonian's Museum of American History

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Sep 24, 2013.

1. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

At about 2:23 does the host say "Ert and Bernie" and "Miss Peggy"?

2. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

600th post on this forum! What better thread for that than this one? :)

I'm just so happy to see Jim's characters immortalized in the Smithsonian. That shows how much of an impact he continues to have on the world. I was especially surprised to see the original Cookie Monster, Fuzzyface/Grover, Elmo, and Rowlf puppets in the group, not to mention the rarely seen J.P. Grosse. I wish they could also add some of the full-body puppets, like Thog, Big Bird, Sweetums, or a Gorg. But that might be a stretch. Anyhow, it is so touching to see that this happened.

galagr and muppetlover123 like this.
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This really is shaping up to be The Year of Henson, isn't it? :)

muppetlover123 likes this.
  4. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

So there are going to be two permanent Muppet museum exhibits on the East Coast, the Museum of the Moving Image in NY and now the Smithsonian's Kermit will get some friends! I wonder if he counts as being part of the "over 20." Also, are the other Sam and Friends characters already there, or was that a temporary exhibit? How many Muppets did they have on permanent display before this expansive addition?
    [​IMG]

What we know so far:
    1. Miss Piggy
    2. Fozzie
    3. Scooter
    4. J.P. Grosse
    5. Swedish Chef
    6. Rowlf
    7. Wilkins
    8. Red Fraggle
    9. Boober Fraggle
    10. Travelling Matt
    11. Cookie Monster
    12. Elmo
    13. Grover
    14. Praire Dawn
    15. The Count
    16. Ernie
    17. Bert
    So 18-21 could be anything. I think maybe a Doozer, Skeksis, a large-scaled Muppet like Big Bird or Junior and I'm hoping for Gonzo.

Not to be nit-picky, but I hope that they're not done refurbishing the puppets yet. Some of them, like Piggy, Fozzie and Elmo, still look kind of smooshed with odd pupil placement. Either way, I can't wait to know these are up being appreciated by generations to come.

Mo Frackle likes this.
  5. D'Snowth

I do agree some of the puppets look like they still need little touch ups here and there, but at the same time, I actually like how some of them show some obvious age: those closeups of Ernie and Bert show a little bit of dust that's settled in their hair (as well as Bert's eyebrow)... somehow, it kind of adds to just how old they are.

Animal31 and jvcarroll like this.
  6. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I hope we find out soon when all the puppets will be displayed for the public and us Muppet Fans to see, this is so Exciting!!! :)

7. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

so excited...can not wait to see...but anyone else feel the need to turn elmos eyes in just a little

jvcarroll likes this.
  8. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

between this, the permanent jim Henson fixture in the museum of moving image, rumours of a Broadway show, and the new movie 2014 is really becoming the year of the muppets

jvcarroll likes this.
  9. D'Snowth

It's justifiable, FRAGGLE ROCK isn't as easy to come by as other Muppet/Henson productions, it's more of a cult show than anything, so the average person (as in non-Muppet Freaks like us) may not know their names.

My question is was Green Grover's nose always that shape, or was that the result of the refurbishing?

10. LeahXZoot4Evur

LeahXZoot4Evur Well-Known Member

Are they the actual puppets?

ElizaSchuyler likes this.
  11. D'Snowth

No, they're gutted plush toys.

12. Are these guys going to be on permanent display???

13. D'Snowth

They... better be!

TheWemblin'Fool likes this.
  14. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

18. Cheryl
    19. Fran

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Active Member

Wow, it's the classic Elmo from the 1980's- 1990's! I gotta go there now just to see Elmo, Scooter, Boober, Green Grover and.. well, all of them! :)

16. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

J.P. Grosse appears to be very sympathetic at the sight of Fuzzyface being restored.

Kermieuk, cjd874 and charlietheowl like this.
  17. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

He's just watching intently to try and see how he can make a profit off of the puppet surgery business.

cjd874 and galagr like this.
  18. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You, sir, should become a writer. That made my day.

FunnyBear and charlietheowl like this.
  19. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

(insert Harvey Kneeslapper laughter here)
    AAAAAH-HAHAHAHAHAH!!! Heehehehehee...Hohohoooohoohohohoho!

charlietheowl likes this.
  20. Janice+Floyd<3

Janice+Floyd<3 Well-Known Member

*** no electric mayhem??! Haha
    It's weird seeing them so still it's like looking into a coffin and seeing a body it's so weird

ElizaSchuyler likes this.