1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Overused Songs in Movies or TV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr3urious, Jul 15, 2012.

1. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

The counterpart to "Overused Plots in Movies or TV". This is about songs that seem to get used A LOT in entertainment. Here are some of the most notable to me.

- "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood. Any time you need to establish a "tough" character (most notably the Terminator), you use this song.

- "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf. Burned in our minds as a biker song thanks to Easy Rider.

- "Get Ready for This" by 2 Unlimited. Used TO DEATH in the '90s.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This is scary mr3urious, because I was thinking about a thread like this just the other night...

As far as TV shows go, why is it whenever a series does a retrospective or a clip show or something, they almost always use "Shake Your Groove Thang" for a music montage?

I've also noticed that both Charlie's Angels and The Cat in the Hat have "Tangerine Speedo" playing during their end titles.
  3. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day has been used a lot for sappy montage scenes and such, though I think it's finally being phased out. Thank goodness.

I'm a Steppenwolf fan and "Born To Be Wild" isn't all that emblematic of their output as the casual impression would appear to be. They experimented a lot in the studio, and had some typically "freaked-out" late sixties social protest lyrics and song themes.
  4. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

The Ramones Blitzkrieg Bop is used a lot, mainly in montages where all kinds of crazy things are happening.

Queen songs in general are used a lot

Not song specific, but Bowling for Soup has done an awful lot of music for movies. They even released a CD with SOME of the songs they have done. Strangely, a lot of it was for disney. And Bowling for Soup is borderline as crude as the Bloodhound Gang...
  5. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

You ziffled me. Meanie.

But the fact Good Riddance is used as a song to accompany sappy things, people use it for their wedding song. It makes me wonder if they realize what the song is about. I mean, its called GOOD RIDDANCE. Its not a happy "I love you song" is a song basically saying "I hate your guts. I'm glad you are out of my life."
  6. D'Snowth

Ballroom Blitz. The only time I can think it was used of any kind of effectiveness was Bordello of Blood, where the good guys attack a brothel of vampire hookers in, of all places, a ballroom, by shooting at them with Supa Soakas filled with Holy Water.

Other than that, it seems to be used whenever there's a scene or a montage where a lot of chaos happens (ala Daddy Day Care).
  7. charlietheowl

It's the same principle like when people think Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA" is a patriotic song, when it's a bitter song about the treatment of returning Vietnam veterans. People like catchy choruses and tend to ignore the verses.
  8. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

It's pretty much the same as people deciding "American Woman" is a tribute song to the strength of being American and a woman (Tara Lipinski made me roll my eyes at that one when she said that's why she chose to skate to Lenny Kravtiz's version).... thank goodness Sam the Eagle put a rest to that one. :attitude:
  9. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

That song that was played in The Muppets "Montage" scene. I hear that song in a LOT of movies.
  10. D'Snowth

That reminds me how the use of "We Built This City" has pretty much become a gimmick: dancing to a very un-dancable song... even SNL poked fun at that.
  11. mr3urious

I also forgot about "Fortunate Son" for any scene set during the Vietnam War. Of course, it was very popular among soldiers during that time.
  12. charlietheowl

They can get away with that only because it is such a good song. Creedence Clearwater Revival were awesome!

"For What It's Worth" also tends to get used in movies set in or around the sixties.
  13. HeyButtahfly

As does "Turn! Turn! Turn!" by the Byrds
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Any movie that has a dog in it... every trailer for those movies invariably uses Atomic Dog by George Clinton or the terrible Who let the Dogs Out.

Secondly, I find the Rocky montage ripoff overused, but for some reason, Eye of the Tiger is the most overused song when they reference training montages. Even in the brilliant film Persepolis.

Remember in 1999 when like, EVERY movie had Smashmouth's lousy "All Star" song in it, only to have to hear it again in 2001's Shrek?

But what really irks me... I find 1990's rap music overused in kid's movies. Especially risque ones used OUT of context. Especially the groan inducing use of "Baby got Back" in the dishwater dull Yogi Bear movie.
  15. mr3urious

Though it did get used to hilarious effect in a montage in Malcolm in the Middle where Hal was secretly fattening up Lois as she was trying to lose weight during pregnancy, because he likes her big. :D
  16. HandsomeFrog

HandsomeFrog New Member

Back in Black
  17. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Anything, when used right, can be funny.

The use of same song in Yogi was gratuitous. I swear the audience was full of prudish parents complaining about the ratings system... and they ALL uproariously laughed at CGI Yogi dancing over it. The very same people who would have probably charged radio stations that played that back in the 1990's when it was sort of taboo with pitchforks and torches.

In fact, the use of ANY homogenized, safe for kids, well out of date rap in ANY kid's movie. It's not funny... it's not cute... kids actually don't like outdated safe rap music, and getting any cartoon character that NEVER rapped before to rap is just lame.

And "Everybody Dance Now" also freaking sucks. Stop using it everywhere. Destroy all the copies of it in existence.
    HandsomeFrog likes this.
  18. D'Snowth

"Can't Touch This". TV shows, movies, and even TV commercials.
  19. mr3urious

And for every sexy scene: "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye! :D

20. HeyButtahfly

I heard "I Believe I Can Fly" on the radio today and it reminded me that it's become the "inspirational scene" anthem.