1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Oz Casting News

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Squigiman, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Squigiman

Squigiman Active Member

Hey guys,
    As far as Aint-It-Cool-News says here: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16715, the movie WILL be for TV, like the Christmas one, and they have up the main Muppet parts, and two rumored Dorothys. I could totally see the first, but the second seems to be going too kiddy/Nickelodeon-style, so I am imagining they'll pick her, unfortunately, as things seem to be going with Muppet human-role casting, lately. Just thought I'd let you guys know. Take care.

-Squigiman

2. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Sweet!

That'd be cool if Natalie Portman got the lead role, wouldn't it? And, of course, I'm expecting Scooter to be cast as the winged-monkey that does the Wicked Witch's every bidding.

"Poppies. Right. Send off the jitter bug. Gotcha. Can I get you some coffee with that spell, ma'am?"
  3. dmx10101

dmx10101 Member

Does anybody know when it will be on tv??
  4. MuppetVision

MuppetVision Member

I hope Natilie Portman is Dorthy. I love her. ANd I love the muppets! Hey 2 in one deal!!!! :D
  5. Luke

Luke Active Member

Jeez way to go AICN for leaking the casting details. Will Henson ever have any news that hasn't been announced yet ?

I'm impressed with the lineup myself - can't ever see Portman doing that movie though !
  6. MuppetVision

MuppetVision Member

I don't see her doing it either. But I can dream :D . I wish Rizzo was Toto. Pepe bothers me.
  7. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yeah Pepe as a dog, something is up with that. Are they gonna CGI him or something or will it just look like a prawn dressed as a dog ? I thought Rowlf is made for the part.

Portman wouldn't touch this with a barge pole. Even if they have the $$ she'll want to go more adult with the Star Wars saga coming to an end. Hence her doing the Leon sequel and some other stuff. Sure she did Sesame but it's quite "in" for well known figures to do an SS appearance because the street is so ingrained in TV history. A cheap ABC TV movie is another ball game.

While the puppet casting isn't bad I dislike this project, its a step back and signals to me the desperate Henson Company who have no strategy other than to cut costs taking whatever option is open to them to get at least something on air before the company flakes out entirely and maybe get lucky. Trouble is they just don't seem to have the right creative mix of people there any more. The smart move would have been going for an edgy TMS remake series on ABC, building the profile, hyping the nostalgic element and then going for further movies where the Muppets play themselves. This is what I would have expected if Disney got hold of the Muppets - maybe this is to show them how suitable the brand is for their stable.
  8. Mr.Penguin

Mr.Penguin Member

:( I still think my cast was better, :p :( and it'd be cool to see it the-a-ters.
  9. agger_rob

agger_rob New Member

Pepe doesn't so much bother me, I just wish he wasn't such a primary charachter. Let him be secondary.

As for Toto, why not Rowlf? C'mon :sympathy:
  10. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

I think Scooter should be the Scarecrow. Didn't they do a thing on like the Muppet Show or something (I know, it's on my Muppet Sing A Longs video) and Scooter was the scarecrow, Fozzie was the lion, and Gonzo was the tin man. And while it may be amusing to see Pepe as Toto (Pepe's cool w/ me and everything) I think Rowlf would be better to see as Toto since, well, they *are* both dogs after all. It'll be interesting to see how they incorporate other characters into the film (such as Statler and Waldorf)
  11. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

as usual, i think henson is letting people know that rowlf is actually retired so they don't put him in a role to where he has a lot of lines.

ryan
  12. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Well-Known Member

That makes two of us.
  13. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

It might be interesting to see them spoof Secondhand Lions and have Dorothy live with her two uncles, Statler and Waldorf... it could happen.
  14. MuppetVision

MuppetVision Member

Rowlf would be cool.

I hope Dr. Teeth is in this movie somewhere. HE's my favorite Muppet. They could make Dr. Teeth the Munchkin Mayor! And have Animal or Rizzo as a flying Monkey. I hope Sweetums makes the movie too. Sweetums could be the head of those things....the Witch's men. I forgot there names.
  15. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

I think it's a cheap NBC TV movie. If it were ABC it would be Disney and we'd get something like twin Dorothys starring the Olson twins or that annoying little girl with the brown curly hair.

I think the point here is that it will get the Muppets out there and NBC will be footing the bill for the publicity, not Henson. Hopefully it will mean a little money and the combination of the money and the publicity will get us one step closer to projects worthy of the Muppets.
  16. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Secret Squirrel announced to us that it would be on ABC, not NBC.
  17. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

What a shame :sympathy: :(
  18. turlem

turlem New Member

pepe as toto? that sucks, i really wanted it to be rowlf
  19. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Hey, don't dis the prawn, okay. :rolleyes: ;) LOL! I love Pepe. I think he and all of Barretta's characters are the best thing to happen to the Muppets in years. :flirt:
  20. tomahawk

tomahawk Member

Amen, okay.