1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Painful Classic Moments

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Drtooth, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

We have this thread in Fraggle Rock and Classic muppets, so I thought I'd put it here. Now I stress the word classic as it pretains to classic Sesame Street, and nothing from the 90's on, since that would be too easy. We'd probably have everyone just write "Elmo's World" over and over. So this is for just those classic pre90's moments....

I think the Larry and Phylis segment from the second or third season was hard to watch. I've only seen the one on the Old School set. And it was annoying. How they can't sing and Larry could only groan and Phylis could only Beep. That was tough to watch.
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I agree, I liked Larry and Philis as people, but the skit was slightly annoying. Lol

That Solomon Grundy thing, it makes ME feel dirty! lol
  3. Drtooth

I will say, i did like the Buddy and Jim segment. But it seems like those live action comedy teams were a place filler for more muppet characters.

I also gotta add the "fireman" and "Hey Cow I see you now" were just painful because they were unintentionally funny, and had me rolling on the floor.

then of course there was the classic music with filmed footage of growing flowers segment that had me banging my head on the floor waiting for the skit to end and something exciting to happen.
  4. heralde

I agree, "Hey Cow" was unintentionally hilarious, lol.

"Milk...did you ever wonder where it comes from?"

No...

Hehehe

But I refuse to call it painful since it reminds me of all the life actions SS skits of my childhood. :)
  5. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Painful?

I mean if you don't like them, then that's fine.

But what's so painful about them.

Must we be so dramatic about such stuff that's supposed show how people do their jobs or how a product gets made?
  6. Drtooth

What's the anger for? ;)

I'm just saying that music they use for it is pretty... well... odd and minimalistic. It makes it funnier than it should be.
  7. PiLfan

PiLfan Member

LOL...I've noticed that, while we're all fans of the classic clips from early SS (hence, why we're here), there's an interesting diversity over clip preference.

I love the long, tranquil segments with the soft/lullaby or classical music (Hey Cow, Fireman, Vivaldi's crying flower, 2 dolls in a little doll house, Washing film with Bach's "Gavotte", etc)....but can see why some may not. On the flip side, I was never big on the Tiny little super guy bits and I'm not as fond of the Baker or pinball skits as many others are (still dig them though). :smirk:
  8. Drtooth

The flowers in the rain bring bad horrible memories of waiting forever to see Ernie and Bert, or Grover, or the letter G is the first letter in the word "Giggle". It was ghastly DULL! I'm surprised it didn't test poorly. I could see kids getting fidgety during the segments. it wasn't as fun as Kids on the farm picking and packing peas or a trip to the Crayon factory (some of my favorites).

I also didn't like the loud sound effects on the Newsflash about Hickory Dickory Dock, when the Hourse smashed the clock.
  9. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

I have three words for you

-I'm a Bookworm baby (it was too much for a guy of my own standards)
  10. PiLfan

PiLfan Member

yeah...i remember the loud sound effects and the damaged clock bonging in a menacing fashion...scared me almost as much as the Bob/Luis skit with the oncoming train. :eek:

as for the Vivaldi/flower film...don't know why, but it ranks right up there as one of my all time favorite SS clips...ever. hard to explain why.
  11. heralde

Same here, I am definitely a "Hey Cow" supporter lol. A lot of these films are just so lovely and well crafted. But of course, not everyone has to like them. :)

However, I am also a little surprised that they tested well, considering children's short attention spans. But perhaps the creators thought these slower films would serve to calm down kids after all the loud, excitable Muppet stuff.

12. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

Near and far ( makes me feel like i'm a dumb piece of crud who doesn't know a thing about near and far).
  13. heralde

Sesame Street did use a lot of loud, almost realistic sound effects (some would argue too real!). They were often very creepy and disturbing lol. But SS did have its own unique flavor. And now I enjoy them for nostalgic purposes. :)
  14. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Really? I found that L & P skit to be strangely amusing!:zany: I couldn't stop laughing.
  15. Son of Enik

Son of Enik Member

I'm crushed

"Hey Cow" is one of my all-time favorite SS films, and truthfully I loved "The Fireman" as well. Oh well, I still respect he opinions of everyone.
    By the way, RED SOX...A.L. EAST CHAMPS!
  16. Drtooth

While I certainly don't count it as classic (I'm breaking my OWN rule! :eek: ) I really thought the Sesame Road version of "I'm the Big one now" was painful to listen to... maybe that's cuz they replaced Jerry Nelson's vocals...
  17. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Well I would say the most painful for me was Ol' Smokey singing "U Really Got A Hold On Me". But not no more.
  18. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I just wanna bump up this thread with two classic skits I don't particularly care for:

-The sketch where Grover asks Kermit how he can get warm. The ending is so bad; Kermit has been nothing but helpful in the sketch and doesn't even lose his cool at Grover and yet ends up with the short end of the stick.

-The "Family Food" sketch. When I watched it on the Spoofs DVD, the only thing that many me chuckle was the chef's snooty way of leaving the frame, but other than that, it's way too long and not very funny. If the family was replaced with Cookie Monster getting impatient and wanting the food, then there would've been some great material. Otherwise, it's just a dud.
  19. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I sort of agree. I like the segment alright, but the ending is a bit hard for me to watch. I also feel the same way about the sketch where Bert gets locked out and Ernie thinks he's just practicing knocking.
  20. Drtooth

It's a rare gem, sure... but there's a reason it's rare. It goes on much longer than most Muppet segments, it's too straight forward to even be considered a spoof, and the family isn't even funny. It's not a Guy Smiley game show, that's for sure.