1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

Dismiss Notice
  3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Pairings You Hate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harleena, Jun 24, 2015.

1. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and another thing about her sad backstory is that Arnold was...basically the first person to show her any kindness; I think that with that in mind, the fact that she treats him so poorly makes her look worse, not better. And even Phoebe, her best friend, shows her kindness and undying loyalty, and yet Helga treats her terribly (even with a "Pet the Dog" moment here and there, such as in "Phoebe Skips"; even so, it's generally not a good idea to treat your best friend like a manservant (woman servant? Girl servant? Eh, whatever).

It's hard to feel sorry for a character who treats those who show kindness to her like something she scraped off her show (Arnold and Phoebe, in another dimension, could be her full-time Morality Pets; the only people she does show genuine kindness to, even with her "tough girl" image, and as you said, that does happen at times, but not nearly enough).

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

As someone who kinda has mild mental problems due to childhood traumas (none thankfully from my family), there is a tendency to fear rejection and building walls to prevent anyone from getting close enough to wind up losing. What I find fascinating about Helga is she takes that to a very unstable extreme. There are two schools of thought on her, either her backstory gives her the excuse to act the way she does or the way she acts is a direct result of her backstory. Either she's using troubles with her family to excuse her having to act tough or she's acting tough because she doesn't really know how to behave any other way.

I see her as a character teetering on the edge of sanity. If she can just confront these problems and work through them there's hope. But if she lets it consume her, she's got a rough life ahead. So either the character comes of sympathetic, pathetic, or a cautionary tale either way depending on how things are interpreted. Either way, mental problems like that on a kid's show are a bit dark. And I LOVE darkness in these things.

3. ReneeLouvier

ReneeLouvier Well-Known Member

Gosh, normally I wouldn't be responding to these things, lol. But, here we go!

• Pearl x Garnet
    • Pearl x Greg
    • Kermit x Denise
    • Scooter x ANYBODY (He's my man!)
    • Rosalina x anyone (she seems to be an unattached character honestly)
    Can't think of anyone else as anti pairings.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  4. Drtooth

I can't believe this is a thing.... who am I kidding... OF COURSE it's a thing. I'm just annoyed by it. But the whole Penguins of Madagascar shipping of any combination of the 4 main characters is just... yugghhhh... And there IS art of that. But I especially hate the Skipper X Hans pairing. yeah, I get the whole Foe Yay thing, but all the artwork of them is all... like a gentle romance, and I really think that's wildly out of character. It's not that I by any means mind same gender pairings, but at least make them n character or make sense.

Besides, I find Skipper would be too...well... conservative to bend that way. And Rico's just too psycho to be paired up with anything besides that discarded plastic doll he always carries around.

(that said, I'd say Julien is either gay, bi or omnisexual, as far as the TV-averse is concerned but that's just me).

5. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

tooth, julien is dating a dancing lady bear if you go by the movies. XD

6. Drtooth

Well aware of that.

But the movies and TV shows (and Netflix series by extension) are some confused distance from each other. All Hail King Julien could be seen as connected to the movies where as Penguins of Madagascar the series is said to be an alternate universe.

7. Ladywarrior

i can name another one i don't like rorschach x nite owl. for one rorascach hates sex and anything related to it and second he's confirmed asexual.

8. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Well-Known Member

I really hate most of the pairings of Penguins of Madagascar, but the one that annoys me the most is Skipper/Marlene; it seems like the only reason people ship them is that he's pretty much the main character (or the leader of the four main characters) and she's the only female character who regularly interacts with them (which annoys me, too, but this thread is not really the right place to discuss my undying hatred of the Smurfette Principle). But that's actually the main problem with a lot of ships of the characters from that show in particular; they all seem so forced, and not making any kind of sense. It's just shipping for the sake of shipping.

9. Ladywarrior

any pairings involving micheal myers from the Halloween series. Also freddy x Jason.

10. Drtooth

Besides. Skipper doesn't even know how to play Spanish Guitar.

Seriously. Skipper X Hans the Puffin stuff is excessive. I get the whole "they hate each other so much that they must love each other" bit, but... there's dA pieces where they have a family and everything.

Really.

11. Mad Monty fan

Mad Monty fan Well-Known Member

Anger x Disgust (I would normally agree these two should be an item, however since they're both part of Riley's mind, I think the two were better off not having any romantic interactions even though I was disappointed at the same time. I don't mind Sadness x Joy though. Okay. Fine. I'll respect the opinions of the Anger x Disgust shippers)

12. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    FlippyXFlaky from Happy Tree Friends.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  13. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I think it's important to note that just because fans ship something that doesn't automatically mean they actually want it to happen on the show.
    Some ships don't have to make much sense within the context of the series or franchise. Fans can just like the hypothetical idea of those characters getting together because it's just an interesting or unlikely situation.

But anyways, someone mentioned Greg/Pearl. Not to undermine my original point, but, that'd just be plain wrong if it did happen. If they got together in the end it would make they're whole arc feel pointless; as if the point of the arc was for them to get over Rose so that they could get together. That'd just be gross.

14. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

The pedophilia that is Maxvid.

Just... no. No. I don't care if Max is aged up or not, this ship needs to freaking die in a hole.

I'm not really a Danvid (which seems to be the most popular ship in the Camp Camp fandom) fan either, but even that is definitely not as bad as the counselors getting shipped with the kids.

15. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Lincoln/Ronnie Anne mostly because, Ronnie Anne isn’t that interesting of a character plus she’s that character that beats up her crush.

16. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Anything related to insest.

See too much of that within the Crash Bandicoot fandom (Coco and Crash). :grouchy:

17. Pig's Laundry

When I was little I shipped a lot of characters, usually because they visually looked nice together. I was shipping from the age of four, even for shows I didn't actually watch (like The Nanny, Living Single, etc.). But, often I really hated when shows, especially kid shows, automatically paired characters together just because they were friends of the opposite gender, regardless of how much chemistry they actually had, or without taking into account the type of relationship the show had established for them. For instance, when they tried to ship Eddie and Raven on That's So Raven, I thought Eddie and Chelsea would've been a much more interesting dynamic. And I was really ticked when Gordo and Lizzie got together on Lizzie McGuire. Don't even get me started on Ned and Moze on Ned's Declassified; when that happened it felt so rushed and forced, like Nickelodeon was forcing the writers to put that in, and judging by the Seddie arc in iCarly, that probably is what was going on :sigh:.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  18. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

any ship involving real people. its one thing to think "hey these two real people would be cute together" and its another thing to write fanfics of them doing the do and insulting them when they say they arent comfortable with it. something happened between markiplier and jacksepticeye and people assumed it was because of shipping and were attacking them for it and saying they needed a thicker skin (when it actually wasnt related to that at all). I dunno. If you ship two real people like that, stay away from me.

ConsummateVs and LittleJerry92 like this.
  19. Pig's Laundry

Yeah, that's just weird. It's irritating how two people can't interact with each other without someone speculating that they're in love.